OLD RIVER HILL-SCROGGINS CEMETERY
Natchitoches Parish, LA

This cemetery has the name on the gate in small letters, OLD RIVER HILL CEMETERY, although some older residents refer to it as the SCROGGINS Cemetery. It is located on the west bank of Old River, and must be approached from the west if traveling by automobile. In earlier days, when the boats were the mode of transportation, it most certainly was approched from the east. This cemetery has, although very rarely, been referred to as the old St.Ann's Cemetery; the present day St. Ann's Church and the adjacent St. Ann's Cemetery are on the east side of the river in this same vicinity, on very flat land. It is possible that this hilly location was selected because of flooding, and indeed may have been connected with the St. Ann's Old River Church, at an earlier date.

The oldest marked graves are those of Jean Bte. Armani and Pierre Chellette. Armani's grave is marked with an iron cross inscribed in French. Barely legible, the indicated death date appears to be October 1851. The grave of Pierre Chellette, ( / 16 Nov 1851), a large slab topped vault, is inscribed in French, with the following line clearly visible: Decede le 16 Novembre 1851. For 147 years, Pierre Chellette's remains have rested on this gentle hillside, along the west bank of Old River, Natchitoches Parish, LA. For 147 years, faithful souls have cared for this memorial spot: a simple, beautiful place of rest.

Location: Five miles south of I-49 and LA Hwy 6 intersection, take Exit 132, turn east onto LA Hwy 478, then south immediately after clearing the overpass (2/10 mile); continue about one quarter mile, then turn right onto LaCaze Road (gravel road). Continue on this road for about 2 miles, and cemetery is on the left side of road. The road dead-ends at Old River a few hundred yards on. This cemetery has the name on the gate in small letters, OLD RIVER HILL CEMETERY, although some older residents refer to it as the SCROGGINS Cemetery.


Cataloged by Mrs. E. LaCaze, J. Jacoby-Liles and friends, April 1998.


************** AT REST ************

*****************Slumber on; Your work is done.****************





Back to Natchitoches Parish Cemeteries

Back to Natchitoches Parish