Stacy Cemetery, Old Victoria, Natchitoches Parish, LA


Timber was the major industry of Central and Northwestern Louisiana in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Timber companies purchased vast forested acreage and setup operations in a central area, then built a town based on their timber business economy.

"Western Louisiana is dotted with probably as many or more sawmill ghost towns than is East Texas... In 1905, Louisiana Long Leaf Lumber Company (known as the ‘4-L') owned two large sawmills, the biggest at Fisher, Sabine Parish, six miles south of Many on the Kansas City Southern Railroad, and the other at Victoria, Natchitoches Parish, LA, between Robeline and Provencal." (1)

"The Victoria, LA, sawmill was founded on the Texas Central (later Texas and Pacific), forty miles southeast of Mansfield, in 1886...marked on the Hardee's Map as Victoria Mills. At its peak, the Victoria population was about 1,500 persons. In 1905, a newspaper article observed that the ‘mill at Victoria is quite a picturesque spot'. Victoria had both a church and a school house, a dispensary and drug store, a machine shop, a mill office, hotel and boarding house, depot, post office, barber shop, and an elevated water tank and standpipe. In 1936, Victoria cut out its timber, and its machinery and mill hands were transferred to Fisher, LA. Today it is doubtful if more than an old concrete foundation survives to mark the erstwhile location of Victoria." (1)

Other northwest Louisiana towns such as Victoria, Peason, Kisatchie, Alco, Kurthwood, Slage, Simpson, and Bellwood suffered similar fates. But the one thing that did not move with the timber companies was the cemeteries and these can be found throughout the parishes: some large, some small, some well-tended and others almost lost in the reforested areas once home to thriving communities.

Such a cemetery is the Stacy Cemetery, located between Provencal and Robeline, in the area of the former community of Victoria, LA. Located on private property and inaccessible to the public, the cemetery contains the following marked burials as well as several graves marked only with large rocks. Submitted by N. Liles






Back to Natchitoches Parish

Back to Natchitoches Parish Cemeteries