Plaquemines Parish

Forts

 

Fort Jackson:

a decommissioned masonry fort located some 40 miles (64 km) up river from the mouth of the Mississippi River in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. It was constructed as a coastal defense of New Orleans between 1822 and 1832, and was a battle site in the American Civil War. It is a National Historic Landmark. It was damaged in Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and its condition is threatened.

Fort Jackson is situated approximately 70 miles (110 km) south of New Orleans on the western bank of the Mississippi, approximately 2.5 miles (4.0 km) south of Triumph, Louisiana. The older Fort St. Philip is located opposite of Fort Jackson on the eastern bank; this West Bank fort was constructed after the War of 1812 on the advice of Andrew Jackson, for whom it is named.

The fort was occupied off and on for various military purposes from its completion until after World War I, when it served as a training station. It is now a National Historic Landmark and historical museum owned and operated by Plaquemines Parish.

Fort Jackson was the site of the Battle of Forts Jackson and St. Philip from April 16 to April 28, 1862, during the American Civil War. The Confederate-controlled fort was besieged for 12 days by the fleet of U.S. Navy Flag Officer David Farragut. Fort Jackson fell on April 28 after the Union fleet bombarded it and then sailed past its guns. A mutiny against the officers and conditions then occurred and the fort fell to the Union. Union forces then went on to capture New Orleans.

Following the engagement, Fort Jackson was used as a Union prison. It was here that the French Champagne magnate Charles Heidsieck was held for seven months on charges of spying.

 

 

Fort St. Philip:

Fort St. Philip is a decommissioned masonry fort located on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River, about 40 miles (64 km) up river from its mouth in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. It formerly served as military protection of New Orleans, Louisiana, some 80 miles (130 km) up river, and the lower Mississippi.

The first fort on this location "San Felipe", was constructed in the 18th century during the Spanish control of Louisiana.

The fort served a role in protecting the United States from the British invasion in the War of 1812, seeing 9 days of battle in January 1815, the 9th to the 18th. Specifically, an action against British Navy vessels attempting to attack or bypass the fort.

The current fort was constructed along with Fort Jackson on the river's western bank as a coastal defense for New Orleans and the Mississippi, on urging of Andrew Jackson. The fort was the site of a twelve-day siege in April 1862 by the Union army during the American Civil War.

It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960.

In the 1930s the fort was used as a tanning factory. This explains the old railroad tracks and fire hydrants.

From 1978 through 1989 the fort complex served as the site of an intentional, nonsectarian spiritual community called Velaashby, named by conjoining the surnames the original and subsequent private property owners respectively. The community members numbered as many as 16 at any one time and were known as the Christos family. They lived in four buildings--three two-story officers quarters and an officers club--that remained from the re-fortification of the site during the 1898 Spanish-American War.

Fort St. Philip remains privately owned and in a state of bad deterioration. It was heavily damaged in hurricanes Katrina and Rita. According to the National Park Service, the owner reported that only the original brick fort and the concrete structures from the time of the Spanish-American War remain.

The site is accessible only by boat or helicopter, and following erosion of the small levee is now subject to flooding during high water levels of the Mississippi River.

 

  Fort De La Boulaye

 

Home

 Linda Simpson - PC
2010 - Present
 All Rights Reserved