Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

HOME





FALSE RIVER

False River, a "horse shoe" lake, was once part of the Mississippi River.   In 1722, the Mississippi changed course, leaving a lake that the French named "Faussee Rivere" or False River.   New Roads, the parish seat, is located along the False River.




The Pointe Coupee Parish Courthouse has many types of old maps like the one below. The early Parish records date so far back that they are actually written in French! OLD FALSE RIVER MAP