GENEALOGICAL & HISTORICAL
Updated: December 20, 1998
You are our 1414 visitor since our counter was put in on November 20, 1998!
Programs, Research Trips, Officers, Committees, and other such...
FAQs ----- or ----- Frequently Asked Questions
The monthy programs are only a small part of the benefits of belonging to WPGHA. Other benefits include participation in a members-only surname data base. Members are encouraged to submit ancestor charts. Each chart is entered into a Winn Parish database and when a surname match is made, the new member is notified of the others in the organization that is researching the same name. A varity of other activities are also planned for 1999 including the 3rd annual "all-day" workshop in September.
Monthly meetings are held the 2nd Saturday of every month. Most of the meetings have been held at the Winn Parish Public Library, but beginning in January 1999, some may be held in the Police Jury Room under the south side of the courthouse. Several of the programs will be "how-to" classes on genealogy research. The general business meeting begins at 1 p.m (This is the fun part!) and the program/speakers/etc. starts at 2 p.m. (This is the learning part.) Refreshments and networking takes place before, after, and between the meetings (E-mail WPGHA@aol.com for more information or watch the LAWinn mailing list for details .)
The proposed programs are varied, alternating between programs on people, places, and events, as well as pure genealogy research technique.
Occasionally research trips will be planned. Times to meet to leave Winnfield, cost, etc. will be announced about a month before each proposed trips. Hopefully cost will be kept between $25 for the short trips to
$75-125 for the overnight trips The trips will be announced at the regular meeting and on the mailing list.
A member of WPGHA has offered to make headstones for unmarked graves at a very low price. These are made from concret poured into a wooden frame box and engraved with very simple lettering. The price is $10 for those graves that are 100 years or older, all others are $20. You must be able to identify the gravesite and give all information needed. A record will be kept of all sites marked. For more information, contact a member of the Cemetery Committee.
Watch this page for updates!
Programs & trips, etc given are "proposed" and may be changed.
Officers & Chairpersons for 1999
- Annette Womack, President
- Chris Verret, Secretary
Roy L. Johnson, Treasurer
- Jo Branch, 1est Vice-President & Program Chairman
- Sue Badeaux, Editor
- Gregg Davies, Historian
- Earline Martin, Librarian
- Conference & Workshop Committee: Jo Branch, chr.
- Acting Membership & Query Chairman: Jo Branch
- Auditing Committee: Dale Smith, Kenneth Martin, __________
- Hostess Committee: Dorothy Shell, Doris Shell,
- Registration Committee: Dorothy Shell, Doris Shell, Annie Jones
- Publications Committee: Annette Womack, ch.
- Editorial Review Board: Sue Badeaux, chr.,Jo Branch, Gregg Davies, Earline Martin, Annette Womack,
- Advertising Committee: Gregg Davies, Roy Johnson, Annette Womack
- Historical Committee: Denton Shell, Dennis Shell, Doris Shell, Dorothy Shell, Gregg Davies
- Cemetery Committee: Roy L. Johnson, Kenneth Martin, Weymon Brantley
- Bylaw Committee: Annette Womack, Chr.
- Research Trips: Annette Womack, Jo Branch
- Special Projects:Jimmy & Kathy Kelley (Church Registrations); Willie Ray Griffin (Slave Registrations);
PROGRAMS & RESEARCH TRIPS
"THE WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHY & HOW"
- Program: Documentation: "The Why & How" Sue Badeaux has made an extensive study on documentation and will present a program on "Why to document" and "How to use documentation." Included will be how to document e-mails, etc.
- Program: Reunion Finders "The Who and How
" Bill Holly has worked many years in the investigative field and is a licensed "Private Eye." He will hold a class on how to use some of his techniques to find those elusive relatives for a family reunion.
SUGGESTED FOR THE REST OF 1999 ARE:
Program: Land Records
Program: History of...
Program: History of...
- Program:The Internet as it pertains to Winn Parish Reserchers
- Annual meeting & installation of new officers
- Christmas munchies
SUGGESTIONS ARE BEING TAKEN: if not used in 1998, perhaps in 1999!
Additional "Back up programs"
Working the Cenuss, Family History Centers, Minor Records, Handwriting, Political History, Military Records...
Annette Carpenter Womack