The Emittsburg, Frederick Co., Maryland PEDDICORD Family
(revised 8 May 1998)
A number of Peddicord researchers descend apparently from the line of George Greenburry Peddicord. Several researchers such as Wanda Reed, Cindy Duhamel & Pam Thomas have contributed to the information on this page. Some of the linages is speculative and will need further work.
Greenbury (perhaps actually named George Greenbury) Peddicord is probably the the son of Jasper Peddicord &
Becky Belt) and married Sophia Dorsey in Frederick Co. MD. Greenburry Peddicord died in March 1850 at age 74 of choic. He was born in MD and married at the time of his death. According to Marriage Licenses of Frederick County 1778-1810 by Margaret E. Meyers,
George PETTICOAT & Sophia DORSEY had a marriage license issued 6 Dec 1797. There is a group of
church records for the Emittsburg area in Frederick Co. which seems to tie together this
family. Greenbury Peddicord seemed to have significant finanical problems. In the 8 Aug 1812 edition of
Bartgis's Republican Gazette Greenbury Pedicoard of Frederick Co is listed as filing an
application for relief from debts. and the 2 Oct 1813 edition of this paper lists that
Greenburry PEDICORD was to apply for final relief from debts. There was a suit by David Morrison vs. Greenbury PETTYCORD in Frederick County, an injunction was granted but subpeona issued and continued until struck off by complainants on 10 Nov 1819. I have not found any information on his wife's linage, though they
are likely distant cousins as most of the Dorsey family in Frederick Co. descend from Edward Dorsey the immigrant. Their family appears to be:
i. Perry (b. 1798/9 MD, d. 22 May 1867, Frederick Co. MD, buried St Anthony's (old
St. Marys Catholic Cemetery, Mt. Saint Mary's College, Emittsburg, MD) m. 27 Sept 1824 or 28
Sept. 1824 Frederick Susanna Hovis( b. ca. 1799, d. 6 Feb 1875, bur. St. Anthony's old St. Marys
Cemetery, St. Marys College, Emittsburg, MD). In the 1850 Census of Frederick Co. Perry
Peddicord age 51, Susan age 49, Farmer, real estate valued at $800. In his household were
Sophia age 19, Susanna age 15, Caleb age 11, and Emily age 10. Perry was baptized as an Adult
(conditionally) on 18 June 1862.
- i. John Theodore (b. 4(26 on tombstone) August 1825, baptized 4 Aug 1825, sponsors:
Catharine & H. Elder., died 18 Jan 1882, bur. St Anthony's, old St Mary's Cemetery, St Marys
College, Emittsburg MD) married 14 Oct 1845 Sarah (Sophia?) A. Irons (b. 14 Oct 1820, d. 15
May 1906, bur. St Anthony's, old St Mary's Cemetery, St Marys College, Emittsburg MD). In the
1850 Census of Frederick Co. he is age 25, a Blacksmith born in MD, wife Sarah Ann was 29,
children were Mary Virginia age 3, and Ann Elizabeth age 1
- i. Mary Virginia (b. ca. 1847, bapt. 16 Dec 1847, Sponsor Susanna Peddicord)
- ii. Ann Elizabeth (b. 19 May 1849, bapt. 28 Oct 1849 sponsor: Elizabeth Livers)
- iii. Michael Theodore (b. 2 Dec 1853, Frederick MD, bapt. 5 Feb 1854 sponsor: Aloysius Althoff and Sophia Peddicord, d. 4 April 1929 Owensville) mar. Alice Marietta Stauffer (dau. of William and Elenor (nee Freeberger) (b. 22 June 1855 Gettysburg, PA, d. 29 Nov 1941 Edgewater MD). Annapolis Maryland Families by Robert Harry McIntire (1979) lists the data on the descendants of Michael Thoedore Peddicord as follows: Baptism record of Michael Theodore Peddicord is at Emittsburg with a birth date of 2 Dec 1853 and baptism on 5 February 1854 with parents listed as Theodore and Mary Peddicord
- i. William Theodore (b. 1878, d. 25 March 1962) mar. Genevieve Stouter of Emmitsburg MD.
- i. Ester Elizabeth (b. 16 Jan 1906) mar. Fowler
- ii. Bartholomew F. (b. 29 Nov 1909) mar. Gladys E. (Evans) James
- iii. Anthony (resident of Crownsville)
- iv. Joseph (b. 11 March 1915) lives in Severn, MD
- v. Louis Theodore (b. 16 Jan 1918)
- vi. Benjamin Francis (b. 7 Oct 1920) lives in Baltimore
- ii. Sarah Louise (b. 1882) mar. William L. Watts
- iii. Louis Henry (b. 22 May 1883, d. 11 Jan 1949) mar. 31 May 1905 Bessie Sarah Elizabeth Greenwell. (had 9 children)
- iv. Stella Marie (b. ca. 1888) mar. George Savage Jones
- v. John Francis (b. Feb 1889, d. 13 Sept 1961) mar. 26 Dec 1914, Owensville, Lydie May Moreland (b. 7 Feb 1896)
- vi. Mary E. mar. Charles Russell Whittington
- vii. Michael C. (b. 12 Nov 1892, d. 18 Sept 1900 in a fall from a road machine)
- viii. Frances E.
- ix. Anna Virginia (b. abt 1898) mar. John Thomas Connell
- ii. Sophia (b. ca. 1831)
- iii. Susanna (b. ca. 1835)
- iv. Caleb Michael (b. 20 Oct 1838, bapt 10 March 1839, sponsor: Mary Calahan)
- v. Emily Elizabeth (b. 18 April 1844, bapt. 27 April 1841) married 21 May 1867 Henry Constantine Little
- vi. Sarah Louise (b. 2 March 1861, bapt. 17 March 1861 sponsors: John Little and Sophia Irons,) married Bernard Little.
(her baptism lists her parents as Theo. and Sarah Irons Peddicord.)
ii. Jasper Peddicord (b. 18 March 1800, d. 5 Dec 1871 age 71 years, 8 mns, and 17 days) married Eliazabeth? (b. ca. 1801, d. 3 March 1877 age 76 years) Jasper was a shoemaker.
iia. Althea (b. 1802) Not sure if she was a daughter of Greenberry or married a Peddicord, but she had in her household the children of Greenberry Peddicord and Mary Catharine in the 1850 census)
iii . William (b. 1803 Frederick Co. MD) William is age 47 a laborer in the 1850 Census of Frederick Co. born in Frederick Co. & illiterate. In his household were Jane age 30, b. Frederick Co., Ann R. age 8, Mary Jane age 6, William M. age 3, and a Susanna McPherson age 67 (b. Carroll Co., MD). Perhaps Susanna is his mother-in-law. William and Jane has issue of at least:
- Ann R. (b. ca. 1842)
- Mary Jane (b. ca. 1844)
- William M. (b. ca. 1847)
iv. Nathan (b. 18 April 1807 MD, d. 5 May 1883, bur. St Anthony's, old St Mary's
Cemetery, St Marys College, Emittsburg MD) married Mary ? (b. ca. 1809/10, d. 19 May 1890, bur.
St Anthony's, old St Mary's Cemetery, St Marys College, Emittsburg MD) Listed in the 1850 census
of Frederick County as Nathan age 43, a laborer with reality valued at $500 born in MD,
wife Mary age 40, In the household were Edward F age 19, Elizabeth age 18, Mary age 14,
William age 12, Eugene age 8, Amanda age 6, Laura age 4, and Cletus age 2 and 6 months.
(or should this be a daughter Clare?). Records of St Mary's (Mt. St. Mary's in Emittsburg) indicate
that an child of Nathan Peddicord was b. 30 Jan 1841 and bapt. 16 Oct 1841, the sponsor was
Elizabeth Taylor. Another record records the baptism of a child of Nathan on 22 May 1849.
- i. Edward Francis (b. 11 Feb 1831, died 21 Oct 1854, buried 24 Oct 1854 at St
Anthony's, old St Mary's Cemetery, St Marys College, Emittsburg MD)
- ii. Ann Elizabeth (b. 1 Sept 1832, bapt. 21 Oct 1832), sponsor was Susanna Peddicord.
- iii. Mary Sophia (b. ca. 1836) married 9 Feb 1857 Ambrose Augstine Little
- iv. William Franklin (b. 1 Dec 1838, bapt 3 March 1839, sponsor Mary Taylor)
- v. Eugene (Joseph) (b. ca. 1842) married 4 January 1872 Frederick Co., MD, to Katharine Alvira
Andrews in MD and removed to Adams Co. Ill ca.1878.
- vi. Catharine Amanda (b. 14 Dec 1844 , bapt. 2 March 1845, sponor: Elizabeth Brawner)
- vii. Laura (b. ca. 1846)
- viii Ann Clare (b. 29 March 1847, bapt. 9 May 1847), Baptism sponsor was Magdelen Brichner.
- viii. Cletus (b. April 1850
- ix. James Oscar (b. 20 Nov 1853, bapt. 2 Feb 1854, sponsor Mary Diehlman, (father listed as Nathaniel Peddicord in Mt. St. Mary;s records)
v. Caleb (b. 1813 Montgomery Co.)
vi. Greenbury PEDDICORD married Mary Catharine. Their children in 1850 census are listed with a Aletha Peddicord who was born in 1802.
- i. Ann Maria (b. 9 August 1854, bapt. 2 Sept 1847, sponsor: Mary Spalding)
- ii. John Albert (b. 4 May 1840 Emittsburg, MD, bapt. 2 Sept 1847, sponsored by:
Rev. McCloskey) He died on 17 Jan 1906 in Waukegan, IL. He was buried on 20 Jan 1906 in St
Mary's Cemetery, Waukegan, IL. John served in the Civil War. from his war records and pension
file: He was drafted in Liberty Twp, Adams Co. PA Chambersburg PA 16 October 1862. At the time
his occupation was Miller, he was 5'-5", hazel eyes and sandy hair, florid complexion. He was
enrolled in Co C. 165th Regiment as a private. He was discharged 28 July 1863 at Gettysburg
PA, he was disabled by a rupture. In the 1900 census of Frederick Co MD he is listed as a
Carpenter. His parents born in MD, his wife's father born in France, her mother in Maryland.
He was married to Margaret Elizabeth FLORENCE (daughter of Sebastian FLORENCE and Margaret
Elinor) on 5 Jun 1866 in Maryland. Margaret Elizabeth FLORENCE was born on 15 Aug 1849 in
Maryland. She died on 13 Mar 1924 in Waukegan, IL. She was buried on 18 Mar 1924 in St
Mary's Cemetery, Waukegan, IL. John Albert PEDDICORD and Margaret Elizabeth FLORENCE had
the following children:
- i. Mary Elizabeth PEDDICORD was born on 20 Feb 1867 in PA. She died on 18 Feb 1928 in Dayton, OH. She was buried on 20 Feb 1928 in Dayton, OH.
- ii. Joseph Greenbury PEDDICORD was born on 19 Mar 1868 in PA. He died on 16 Jan 1914 in Waukegan, IL.
- iii. Annie Catharine PEDDICORD was born on 25 Jul 1869 in Emittsburg, Frederick Co. MD.
- iv. Sallie Maria Jane PEDDICORD.was born on 3 Oct 1870 in Maryland. She died on 8 Sep 1940 in Hanover, PA. She was married to Jean LITTLE.
- v. Anena Florence PEDDICORD was born on 26 Aug 1879 in Maryland. She died on 26 Jan 1959 in Waukegan, IL.
- vi. Stella May PEDDICORD was born on 13 Feb 1872 in Maryland. She died on 28 May 1930 in 244 Ridgland Ave., Waukegan, IL. She was buried in Ascention Cemetery, Waukegan, IL She was married to Edward B. BOURNE
- vii. Adeline Isadore PEDDICORD was born on 2 Aug 1874 in Maryland. She died on 14 Feb 1912 in Detroit, MI. She was married to Harry STONER
- viii. John Sebastion PEDDICORD was born on 26 Sep 1876 in Maryland. He died on 1 Aug 1881 in Waukegan, IL.
- ix. Margaret Elizabeth PEDDICORD was born on 11 Aug 1881 in Maryland. She died on 10 Dec 1967 in Waukegan, IL She was married to John GLACKEN on 20 Oct 1898 in St Anthony's Shrine, Emmitsburg, Frederick Co., MD.
- x. Charles Francis PEDDICORD was born on 6 Feb 1884 in Maryland. He died on 26 Sep 1941 in St. Thereasa Hospital, Waukegan, IL. He was buried on 28 Sep 1941 in St Mary's Cemetery, Waukegan, IL.
- xi. Edward Allen PEDDICORD was born on 8 May 1886 in Maryland. He died on 5 Jun 1937 in St. Joseph Hospital, Edmondton, Alberta, Canada.
- xii. Alice Loretta PEDDICORD was born on 28 Oct 1888 in Maryland. She died on 10 Jun 1946 in Chicago IL. She was buried in Maywood, IL She was married to Charlie MEYERS on 5 Jun 1907 in Chicago, IL.
- xiii. Ella Rosa PEDDICORD was born on 10 Jun 1892 in Emittsburg, Frederick Co. MD. She died on 24 Sep 1968 in Belle Fourche, SD. She was buried in Valley View Cemetery, Broadus, MT. She was married to Daniel Joseph LEARY on 16 Dec 1918 in Miles City, MT.
- xiv. Roy John PEDDICORD was born on 16 Jan 1898 in PA. He died in 1974. Was an adopted child He was married to Myrtel Frances LABONDE
- iii Mary Margaret (b. 25 May 1821?, bapt. 2 Sept 1847, sponsored by George Flautt)
- iv. Sophia (b. 4 Dec 1842, bapt. 2 Sept 1847, sponsored by Rev. Elder & Elizabeth Spalding.
Also Buried at St Anthony's, old St Mary's Cemetery, St Marys College, Emittsburg, Frederick Co., MD are:
- Theresa A. M. Peddicord b. 15 Oct 1866, d. 27 June 1983( 1893?)
- Alice Peddicord daughter of M & M 1881-1883,
- Bart Peddicord son of J.A. & E.E. b. 1879, d. 1903.
- Amanda Clanah Peddicord died 26 Aug 1846,3-0-18
- Jasper Peddicord d. 5 Dec 1871 71-8-17 (b. 18 March 1800) wife Elizabeth (d. 4 March 1877, age 76)
Also in the 1850 Census data for Frederick Co.:
- At the St. Joseph Orphan Asylum were two girls (sisters?) M. Pettichord age 10 and S. Pettichord age 7, both born in MD)
- Altha Peddicord age 48 (f.) Maria age 29, John Age 10, and Ann M. age 5. (these seem to be children of Greenbury & Mary Catharine Peddicord according to the baptisms and ages). Was Altha Peddicord a sister of Greenbury?
- Amanda C. Pedicord died age 3 of Dropsy in August 1849.
Other data from the Mt St. Mary's, Emittsburg, Church Records:
- Edward Little married Manzella Peddicord 2 Jan 1866
- Sophia Genevieve Peddicord married John Ignatius Little 21 Mat 1867
- Margaret Genevieve Peddicord buried 16 Jan 1839 (age 3 years)
- Also for baptisms an Adult Mrs. Peddicord bapt. 17 May 1841
- child of Nathan Peddicord born 30 Jan 1841, bapt 16 Oct 1841
- child of Nathan Peddicord bapt. 22 May 1849.
- George Greenbury Peddicord b. 16 Jan 1855, bapt. 29 April 1855, sponors: Wm Welty & Anna F. Henly, s/o William or John Peddicord.
- John Bernard Peddicord b. 11 Jan 1861, bapt. 20 March 1861, sponsor Ann F. Hunley, s/o William and Mary Peddicord.
From the IGI
Caleb Peddicord was married to Henreitta or Lorretia Wilhide. Presumable he is the Caleb born 1813 and a son of Greenbury and Sophia. Issue:
- i. Jane (b. 1848)
- ii. Manzella (b. 1849) (she married 2 Jan 1866 John Little?)
- iii. John C. (b. 20 July 1856) married 15 Oct 1880 Laura W. Weller
- iv Julia (b. 1858)
- v. Charles H (b. 1865, Frederick Co.) married 10 Nov 1885 Jennie J. Fahs
- vi. Effie (b. 1866)
- vii. Minnie/Tilly (b. 1866)
William Luther Peddicord (b. 1856, d. 1922) married Mary Ellen Wolfe (b. 1854, d. 1937)
- Harvey W. (b. 19 Aug 1892, d. 17 March 1947)
- Bessie Elizabeth (b. 23Oct 1893, Woodboro, Frederick Co.)
- Charles Edward (b.9 Jan 1879, Woodboro, Frederick Co., MD)
- Annie R. (b. 9 Nov 1903, LeGore, Frederick Co., MD)
- William E. (b. 1908, d. 24 Feb 1960)