Sri Lanka Sinhala Family Genealogy
Madduma Patabendige family of Bandarawatta, Weligama - Family #3735
For the historic significance of the name Patabendige see Karava Kings, Rulers and Sub-kings
v Madduma Patabendige ……….. (Saadhu Aatha) circa mid 1800s, of Kapparatota, Weligama. Large traditional sea going vessels were called Kappara, and Kapparatota was the harbor and custom duty levying point of ancient Valli-grama which has since transformed into weligama which means Sand village. However. Valli wela or Valli’s field, the name of a suburb close to the port has survived without getting converted to Weliwela or sand fied.
Ø Madduma Patabendige Luvishamy Silva (b. circa 1860, d. 1925) married Ediriweera Jayewickrema Patabendige Tiselhamy of Weligama.
¨ Madduma Patabendige Thomas Silva, General Merchant in Nivitigala (b. circa 1890, m. 1915 d. 1970 ) married Vidanage Don Babynona (b. 1890s, d. 1961), daughter of Vidanage Don Bastian and Abeysuriya Patabendige Loku Hamine of Jinpataliya, Koggala and lived at “Salila” Valliwela, Weligama.
· Ariyawathie (b. 1916, m. 1932, d. ) married Fred Hettihewa (b. d. ) of Hetti Veediya, Weligama. (Son of Hetihewage David Silva )
à Dr. Nelson (Aug 1933 m. 28/02/64) married Lahanda Waduge Lilian Matilda de Silva (b. Nov 1933 of Issadeen Town, Matara
ð Vanoja Nayani ( b. Feb 1965, m. 13/05/1996) married Priyantha Rohana Wikrama Seneviratne
² Runul Dheeraka (b. March 1996)
² Dinul (b. July 1999)
ð Enkoa Harshini (b. .. m. ) married Damitha Wikrematunga,(b.... )
² Ronali Tasha (b. July 1995)
² Nitin Akash (b. March 2007)
ð Sidath Nilanka (b. July 1976 )
à Silverine, Education inspector, married Engineer Charles Abeydeera from Unawatuna
ð Priyanka (b. )
ð Sugath (b. )
à Chandra married Charlton Jayasuriya from Dalawella Galle
ð Jayanthika (b. 1970 )
à Indra married Senerath Dionysius Fernando
à Ruwan (b. 1958 ) married Preethi Shama Galappaththi from Magalle
ð Heshitha (b. )
ð Upekkha (b. )
· Kamalawathie (b 1917 d 1985 )
· Madduma Patabendige Dickson de Silva, Dental Surgeon (b. 21/02/1919 m. 1949 d. 03/12/2004) married Eunice Nalini de Silva Kularatna (b. 20/11/1919.. ) of Fort, Galle - Family # 3094
à Chareeni Chiranthi (b.Aug 1950, m. 05/02/1976) married Sarath (b. Aug 1946), son of Simon & Gertie (nee Jayasuriya of Weligama) Jayakuru of Jawatte.
ð Ranil (b. 1978)
ð Thishani Manisha (b. 1981, m. 2009) married Lashan Jehan Perera Wanigatunga
à Madduma Patabendige Vasantha Ranaraj (b. April/1957, m. 18/06/1986) married Tuduvage Shama Namali de Silva (b. Nov 1958) daughter of Tuduwage Henry Silva & Paduma (nee Wickramasuriya – Family # 3164 ) of Matara
ð Chanuk Anoj (b.June 1987) Chemical Engineer
· Madduma Patabendige Dionysius Silva (b. Feb 1924, m. 06/03/1952. d. 03/06/2012) married Leeda, (b. Sep 1929) daughter of Carolis Mathangaweera of Tangalle, owner of Dematawala Estate, Vitharandeniya and Ansly Mutumala Jayasuriya of Gurupokuna, Ranna
à Jayantha Shanthanie (b. May 1954 m. 24/01/1974) married Ediriweera Patabandige Wimalabandu (b. Oct 1943) son of Ediriweera Patabandige Darlis Silva of Weligama & Leelawathie Wickremasuriya of Beliatta, residing in MataleMatale
ð Mayantha Shanika (b. Feb 1976, m.09/11/2000) married Dinendra Niroshan Nanayakkara (b. Feb 1977)
² Nimaya Pivari (b. Sep 2004)
² Nevan Nevaan (b. Aug 2006)
à Madduma Patabendige Chamal Janakantha (b. Oct 1956, m. 06/03/ 1986) married Mahesha Pieris (b. Nov 1963 ) daughter of Hillary Peiris & Nalin Silva of Panadura
ð Dilshan Mahen (b. Dec 1986)
¨ Daughter ….married ……
Ø Madduma Patabendige Bachchi Appu (b. m. d .) married Podihamy Jayasuriya of Main Street Weligama
¨ Simon Appu
¨ Madduma Patabendige Davith Silva (b. ... m...... d. .... ) General Merchant in Kahawatta, married Guardiaya Kankanamge Misiliya Nona (b. ... d. .... ) of Guru Gedera, Denuwala
· Leelawathi (b. ...m. ... ) married Robert Abraham Sudirikku Jayawickrama (b. ...) of Mirissa
à Mahanama – died young
à Darmasiri married Padmini Abeysuriya from Unawatuna
· Madduma Patabendige Jothipala (b. ... m...... d. .... ), married Hettitantrige Dayawathi (b. ... ) of Kathaluwa
à Kapila (b. 1952 m 1982 ) married Saundra Marakkalage Latha de Silva from Ambalangoda
ð Harith Samitha Kumara,(b. 1984 m. 2012) married Lamahewage Chali Sewwandi Silva
² Sahas Sankalpa (b. Jan 2014)
ð Hiranya Nuwan Kumara (b. 1985 m. ... ) married ......
ð Anjana Nipuna Kumara (b. 1989 )
à Gnanakeerthi Kumara (b. 1956 m. 1983) married Andaravas Patabendige Kumudini Vas Gunawardena from Ambalangoda.
ð Kasun Thilina Kumara (b. 1985)
ð Isuru Suran Kumara (b. 1987 m ... ) Vjirapani Bandaranayake of Piliyandala
ð Raven Yasitha Kumara, Dental surgeon (b. 1989 )
à Kumudu Sriyakanthi (b. 1961, m. ... ) Anthony Sanath Dayarana de Silva of Telwatta, Ambalangoda
ð Anthony Mihirana Sakunal (b. 1986, m. ..) Keshala .... from Panadura
ð Nevinda (b. 1989 )
ð Ravindri (b. 1992 )
ð Ruvindi (b. 1992 )
· Madduma Patabendige Leelaratne (b. 1916 m 1952 d. 2010) Gam Muladani Weligam Korale, Chairman, Weligama Urban Council mid 1960 s married Lorensu Hewa Dayawathy (b. 1918 d. 19 ) of Maha Weediya, Weligama
à Sriyani (b. Oct. 1953 m. 1976) married Stanly Weeraratna of Hikkaduwa (b. Dec 1946)
ð Chatura (b. 1978)
ð Dilantha (b. 1982)
ð Sachintha (b. 1988)
· Nandiyadasa – died young (b. ... d. .... )
· Dayawathi (b. ... m...... d. .... ) married Elgin Kodippili of .............
à Swarna (b. 1949 d. ....)
à Manel Dhammika (b. 1956)
à Sara (b. 1961)
à Anoma (b. .... )
· Banduwathi (b. ... m...... d. .... ) married Gardiya Punchi Heva Srinatha Premachandra
à Bhadra Kalyani (b.1954 m... )
à Chandra Lalani,
à Hema Malini,
· Madduma Patabendige Sumathipala (b. ... m...... d. 2014 ) married Wijeweera Gunaratne Maha vidana Muhandiramge Senehelatha Silva (b. ) , daughter of ..................... & .......................... of Ahangama
à Ransi Yasolekha MSc in Polymer Science (b. 1957 ) married Dayantha de Silva MSc (b. )
ð Dr, Dakshin MBBS (b. )
à Ruwanthi MSc pharmaceuticals (b. 1959) married Bhanu Morage,...
ð Hasini, undergraduate at University of Sydney
à Hiranthi, Shipping industry (b. 1962 ) married Mahesh Mendis,
à Pasan Buddhima, ...... (b. 1970) married Chinthini .............
· Madduma Patabendige Indraratna married Hemalatha Kurukulasuriya
à Indunil Laksiri,
à Captain Thusita Deepasi Indrajith (b. .. d. .... in combat in Mannar)
à Nilmini (b. .... )
à Iresha (b. .... )
· Wimalawatie (b. .... died ..... in child birth ) married Lama Hewa Sirisena
à Son ........
¨ Samichi Appu (M. P. S. Silva, General Merchant in Nivitigala)
¨ Mendis de Silva (b. m. d .), businessman in Ratnapura, married Ediriweera Patabendige Sopinona (b. m. d .)
· Wimaladasa (b. m. d .) married Ratnaweera Patabendige Chandra of ….
à Dayaratna married Ediriweera Patabendige Dishna
à Ranjith married Amita ….
ð 3 daughters
à Sarath married ….
à Jayantha married Shiromi Nanayakkara
ð Nuvandi Chamara
ð Ruwandi Shehan
· Karunadasa married …..
à 3 sons
à 2 daughters
Key to Symbols
v Level 1 - birth approx. 1830s
Ø Level 2 - birth approx. 1860s
¨ Level 3 - birth approx. 1890s
· Level 4 - birth approx. 1910 to 1920s
à Level 5 - birth approx. 1950s
ð Level 6 - birth approx. 1980s
² Level 7 - birth approx.- current period
Updated on 21/05/2015 by Raajdesilva@gmail.com
Sources : Personal communications with late m/s M. P. Leelaratne, M. P. Sumathipala & Dr. M. Dickson de Silva and recently with M. P. Kapila, M. P. Jayantha, Leeda Silva, Sriyni Weeraratne, Lilian Hettihewa, Nalini de Silva
Further research: If the partition deed for the ancestral property, Bandarawatte, Kapparatota, Weligama, can be traced, more information can be unearthed.
Above: Branded pencils manufactured by J. S. Staedtler & Co, Germany in the early 1900s for M. P. Thomas Silva.
Above: Turtle shell combs used by M. P. Thomas Silva
Above: Gold coat buttons used by M. P. Thomas Silva
Above: Gold and diamond jacket buttons used by Vidanage Don Babynona
Above: Ivory inlay on a chest inherited by Vidanage Don Baby Nona
Above: A satin wood almairah inherited by Vidanage Don Babynona
Above: One of the many ancient shipping jars inherited by Vidanage Don Babynona
Above: Dr M. Dickson de Silva and wife Nalini at their residence “Ayodhya” Walpola , Matara. circa 1970