is situated on the southern slope and valley of Hoosac Mountain,
in the northeastern part of Berkshire County, 133 miles from Boston.
Florida, from which it is in part separated by Cold River, bounds
it on the north; Hawley with corners of Charlemont and Plainfield
on the east; Windsor on the south; and Cheshire and Adams on the
west. The territory is about six miles square. The assessed area
is 21,311 acres. There are some 12,000 acres of forest. Its highlands
constitute the watershed between the Deerfield, Westfield and
Hoosac rivers; and the streams, though of small volume, afford
in their rapid descent numerous small powers. The land is, for
the most part, too rocky, rough and mountainous for tillage, but
suitable for grazing. The soil is a heavy loam.
aggregate product of the 159 farms in 1885 was valued at $88,
941. The neat cattle numbered 968; the sheep 384; and the horses
182. The manufactures are lumber, boxes, carriages and food preparations;
the total value of goods made in the year mentioned being $10,452.
The population was 691, of whom 200 were legal voters. The valuation
in 1888 was $178,728, with a tax of $19 on $1,000. There were
160 assessed dwelling-houses. The nine public school-houses were
valued at some $2,000. A social and a school library have together
about 300 volumes. The churches are a Baptist, a Methodist and
a Second Advent. "Savoy" post-office, at Savoy Hollow,
in the south part of the town, is seven miles from the railroad
station in Adams. The other post-office is Savoy centre; and the
third village is North Savoy.
town, then known as "No. Six" was granted to the heirs
of Capt. Samuel Gallop and his company for services and sufferings
in an expedition to Canada in 1690. The first white family settled
here in September, 1777; and in 1787 a sufficient number had come
to organize a Baptist church. The town was incorporated February
20, 1797; the name of a town in the Swiss Alps being adopted as
appropriate to its mountainous features. Savoy furnished 71 soldiers
for the Union cause in the late war, of whom 9 were lost.
584-585 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890