Essex, Mass.


| HOME

Views of Old Essex
a collection of photographs by Elliott Hardy and E. J. Story


  • Contents

The images presented here were scanned from a book presently owned by a resident of Essex, Massachusetts. The bound volume of photographic prints was not published. Elliott Hardy later gave many of his negatives and prints to Dana Story, who has in turn donated them to the Essex Shipbuilding Museum. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of any of the pictures shown here, you should contact the Essex Historical Society and Shipbuilding Museum.


Contents

Page Title or Caption
1 Views of Old Essex. E.C. Hardy. Old plates by E. J. Story. 1890 to 1940
2 1856 map of Essex.
3 1856 map of Essex village.
4 Map of Essex by D. Choate. 1853.
5 1856 map of West Gloucester
6 mouth of the Essex River
7 Cross' Island
8 Causeway, November 1898. Portland storm.
9 Conomo Point/ Cross' Island
10 Essex Causeway, 1939. Looking South
11 Essex Causeway, 1939. Looking North
12 row of old timers - South Essex, 1939
13 South Essex.
14 Hog Island
15 Hog Island about 1900/ The old poor farm
16 Essex River, west of bridge
17 Conomo Point showing the Hotel Conomo/ Cross' Island
18 bridge at Pond Street, rebuilt 1938/ The old draw bridge. 1896.
19 Columbia. Launched April 17, 1923 from the A. D. Story Yard. Fast sailer.
20 3 Schooners: Lincoln, Gloucester, Harry & Verna. Nov. 1918./ Yard of Oxner & Story. 1902
21 Vessel in frame is the "Adams"; launching is "American" 1921
22 "J. M. Marshall" renamed "Spring Chicken" floundered off New York April 1944. All hands saved. / vessel Mayflower. April 12, 1921
23 "Harriet B." Lantz yard, May 1920./ "Victor & Ethan" A. D. Story Yard. 1908
24 deck of the schooner "Nickerbocker" 1912. A. D. Story yard
25 launching of the "Mayflower" April 12, 1921/ launching of the "J. M. Marshall" May 14, 1915.
26 schooner "Caroline" April 29, 1926. Adams in the background.
27 James & Tarr Yard, about 1900/ "Alvan T. Fuller" March 19, 1931/ "Newton" September 10, 1930
28 Essex center - Post office, B. F. Raymond's Store/ hand tub fire engine/ "Newton" 1930 being towed downriver/ ice house
29 pinky "Maine," 24 tons, built ar Essex, Mass. In 1845
30 early Chebacco fishing boat
31 pinky
32 the "Steele" built by Moses Adams above the bridge, 1892
33 the "Steele" built by Moses Adams; under sail
34 schooner yacht "Wanderer" launched May 1, 1923
35 James & Tarr Yard, about 1900; 3 schooners under construction/ the "Maggie & Lilly" 1883; the "I. H. Higgins" 1882; built by A. D. Story at Oliver Burnham's yard
36 workmen in the A. D. Story yard raising a frame/ workmen in the A. D. Story yard sitting for picture.
37 "Grace & Evelyn" September 28, 1927/ November 26, 1917; "Acushla" launching, "Seal " and "Killarney" under construction; Lawrence Story in rowboat
38 A. D. Story yard, July 1, 1924
39 Archie Poland's shop
40 streetcar accident.
41 fire engine No. 2 in front of engine house on causeway.
42 The Village Smith. Charles Augustus Burnham, Mr. Lawson/ fire engine in front of Pickering St. engine house
43 High School, Essex, Mass./ Souvenir of the 1906 minstrel show
44 view of Martin St.. Near town hall/ Causeway about 1915
45 Causeway at launching of "Mayflower" April 12, 1921
46 Bishop's grave/ grave of the Rev. John Wise, A. M., first pastor of the Second Church of Ipswich - 1681.
47 military veterans in yard of GAR building
48 Civil War veterans in yard of GAR building
49 oxen owned by George Gardner Perkins, driver Jim Melanson
50 Philip T. Adams, engineer in front of B&M locomotive No. 212
51 fifteen trees - White's Hill/ Grand Army; marching past Congregational Church
52 powder house/ town pound
53 Thompson Island School/ Falls School
54 RR depot, Essex center/ Grand Army hall
55 high school/ town hall
56 Congregational Church/ Universalist Church
57 Methodist Church/ Catholic Church
58 house. 1856 J. Low; 1670 Lt. Samuel Giddings
59 Lt. Samuel Giddings house/ sign. "House built by Lt. Samuel Giddings, 1670"
60 Choate house on Hog Island/ birthplace of the Honorable Rufus Choate
61 1856 J. Low/ sign. "House of Sergeant David Low - 1702" . . / 1856 D. Cogswell
62 Old poor farm
63 Proctor - Hardy Farm
64 artifacts from the Hardy farm - cannonball, stone tools
65 arrow heads
66 Cogswell grant
67 1856 A. Boyd/ back of A. Boyd house
68 Thomas Giddings house, 1735
69 John Wise house/ sign. John Wise house
70 John Wise house/ the old Lee house, North end.
71 Cogswell house/ Essex River by Causeway
72 Westley Burnham house, 1684./ Lamont's tower
73 North district school house, built 1837./ Westley Burnham house, 1684.
74 1856 P. Burnham house/ 1856 J. Burnham house
75 1856 M. N. Burnham house; 1939 Hervey Burnham/ 1856 D. Story house
76 1856 E. Story house/ 1856 D. Norton Jr. house
77 1856 H. Mears house/ 1856 D. Perkins house; 1939 Merchant house
78 Jessie Story house; 1856 T. Holmes/ 1856 A. Story 2nd house
79 1856 D. Norton house/ 1856 E. Story house
80 1856 M. Story house; 1939 Elwood Burnham/ 1856 C. Bowers house; 1939 Parker Howard
81 1856 J. S. Burnham house/ 1856 W. H. Mears house; 1856 J. Low house
82 1856 A. Cogswell house, built 1801/ 1856 Joseph Quimby house
83 1856 J. Lowe house/ 1856 A. and A. Burnham house
84 1856 P. S. Eveleth house/ Apple Street bridge
85 1856 Capt. E. Burnham house/ 1856 P. S. Eveleth house; 1939 Caleb Cogswell
86 1856 J. Lufkin Jr. house/ 1856 R. Burnham house
87 1856 Francis Cogswell house; 1939 Paul Wyeth/ 1856 Choate house; 1939 Hobbs
88 1856 W. Lowe house
89 1856 J. Low house; purchased by Nelson Hardy, 1944
90 Warren estate
91 1856 Crowell & Choate/ 1856 Crowell & Choate
92 1856 E. Haskell; 1939 W. Gaffney/ back of Gaffney house
93 1856 M. Andrews/ doorway of Andrews house
94 1856 F. Perkins/ Congregational parsonage
95 1856 E. Burnham/ 1856 C. P. Crockett
96 1856 R. Story/ 1856 W. H. Mears
97 Conomo Point 1939/ sunset from Conomo



Copyright 2006, 2010 by Kurt A. Wilhelm