Maps of Essex, Mass.


| Return to Home Page |


Topographic Maps

Map of central Essex

Select an area of Essex. Use the BACK button to return.

These two historic maps are extracted from topographic maps at the University of New Hampshire Dimond Library, Document Department & Data Center website.

 

A list of maps including Essex is found at http://docs.unh.edu/towns/EssexMassachusettsMapList.htm. The 1893 map is from the northeast corner of the Salem 15 mnute quadrangle. The 1951 map is from the southeast corner of the Ipswich 7.5 minute quadrangle. South Essex, including Conomo Pt., are found in the Gloucester 15 and 7.5 minute quadrangles, and Chebacco Woods is found in the northeast corner of the Marblehead north 7.5 quadrangle. The files from Dimond Library are very large (1.5 Mb) and need a long time to load.

Note that between 1893 and 1951 the hill known as Whites Hill was moved, and replaced by Fifteen Tree Hill. Whites Hill is now found near Cape Ann Golf Course (see the map of the North End). A stone powder house was built on Whites Hill, and a stone tower was built on the other hill. Although neither structure was moved, the stone tower is now on Whites Hill and the powder house is where it always has been. ;)

Return to Essex Home Page


Copyright 2006 by Kurt A. Wilhelm


Hosted by RootsWeb

Hosted by RootsWeb