Hanson MA USGenWeb Project

Campfire Girls postcard, 1939 Factory Hill, c. 1915 Maquan pond, 2011 Hanson Town Hall, 2011 Cranberry Cove, 2011 Indian Head pond, 2011 Indian Head river, 2011 Camp Kiwanee Needles lodge, 2011 Indian Head School, 2011 Maquan pond docks, 2011 Maquan School, 2011 Wampatuck pond, 2011 Camp Kiwanee front entrance, 2011

Miscellaneous Cemeteries and Burial Sites


Hudson Street Lot

"Another small private lot is on Hudson Street, Halifax, and is near the road, on a corner of the field once owned by Cyrus Monroe".


Smallpox House Cemetery (1778)

Location: Franklin St., "just north of the Pox House R.R. crossing on the right-hand side", Whitman [part of Abington when the cemetery was in use]. On the grounds of Whitman-Hanson Regional High School.

Abbreviated in Vital Records of Abington as G.R.11

Excerpt from document held at the Hanson Public Library detailing Smallpox House Cemetery in the 1960s: "Still another was located on Franklin Street, just north of the Pox House R.R. crossing on the right-hand side. A house used to stand in this vicinity many years ago called the pox house where small-pox patients were cared for. Those who died of the dread disease were hastily buried to prevent the spread of the plague".

The smallpox hospital was created as a response to the smallpox epidemic which began in Boston in 1775 at the start of the Revolutionary War, and quickly spread to both soldiers and civilians alike throughout the course of the war. The Abington [now Whitman] smallpox hospital operated for several years during the Revolutionary War under the care of Dr. David Jones Jr., probably at least from 1775-1778. According to History of the Town of Abington [p. 135], Dr. David Jones "practised in town for a year or two, about 1775. He had a hospital for small-pox patients on the spot where now stands the house occupied by Allen Leach, Franklin Street. He lived in the old Major John Cushing House, about one-half mile south of the then North Abington meeting-house. He afterwards removed to North Yarmouth, now in the state of Maine. He served for a time as a surgeon in the Revolutionary War. He married [at Abington, 17 June 1778] Elizabeth Hobart, daughter of Colonel Aaron Hobart by his first wife... [Dr. Jones] was held in high reputation as a physician".

Burial with Gravestone:

Whitmarsh, Amos, s. Jacob and Hannah, 8 January 1778, in 7th y.

Probable several additional burials without gravestones.


Macomber Tomb

Located on Winter Street


Tomb Located On Doctor Pierce's Land


West Washington Street Tomb


Burial Site of Pomp

Pomp, a former slave of the House family, drowned in 1827 in a pond hole which was located across King Street from the Nahum Stetson house. He was buried on the property of the House family on King Street.