Transcriptions or digitized images of historical church records from Hanson churches are available below.
If the records you are interested in are not yet available, please directly contact the churches listed below to inquire whether they have the baptism, marriage, or burial or other church record you seek in their archives. Please note that each church may have their own access restrictions and privacy policies.
First Congregational Church
Organized in 1748 as the Second Church of Christ in the West Parish of Pembroke.
Mailing Address: 639 High Street Hanson, MA 02341
The baptism and burial records which were recorded by Rev. Gad Hitchcock of the First Congregational Church (then the Second Church of Christ in Pembroke) from 1748 until 1803 were transcribed and published in the following articles of the New England Historical and Genealogical Register:
“Baptisms in the Second Church of Christ in Pembroke, Mass., From 1748 to 1803”, New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 49 (July 1895) 286-292.
“Baptisms in the Second Church of Christ in Pembroke, Mass., From 1748 to 1803”, New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 49 (October 1895) 426-430.
“Baptisms in the Second Church of Christ in Pembroke, Mass., From 1748 to 1803”, New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 50 (April 1896) 177-183.
“Baptisms in the Second Church of Christ in Pembroke, Mass., From 1748 to 1803”, New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 50 (July 1896) 317-321.
“The Original Church Records of Gad Hitchcock, D.D., 1748 to 1803, Deaths”, New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 136 (1982) p. 31-42.
View the Baptism Records from 1748-1803
View the Burial Records from 1748-1803
First Baptist Church
Organized in 1812.
Mailing Address: First Baptist Church, 214 Main Street, Hanson, MA 02341
St. Joseph The Worker Roman Catholic Church
Organized in 1956.
Mailing Address: 1 Maquan St. Hanson MA 02341
Phone: (781) 293-3581
Calvary Baptist Church
Organized in 1973.
Mailing Address: 429 Monponsett St. PO Box 510 Hanson MA 02338
"The law which imposed taxation upon individuals for church support was considered by a growing number to be unjust, and a feeling of resistance in some way led a few of the parish to propose holding meetings and supporting them by voluntary contributions, and a receipt for such payment answered the demands of the law. Accordingly a society was organized, which held meetings at the houses of some of its members. Prominent among them were Dr. Samuel Barker, Cornelius Cobb, Dr. Calvin Tilden, Charles Josselyn, Jabez Josselyn, Oren Josselyn, Henry Monroe Bridgewater; Capt. Abishai Stetson, East Bridgewater; and Timothy Robbins, Hanover. Preaching was supplied by Benjamin Whittemore, Joshua Flagg, Rev. Hosea Bal1ou, and others. In 1829 a church was built at the junction of roads, now Willow and Short Streets, and in the same year Elmer Hewitt was installed as preacher, and remained in the office about ten years. After him came John Allen, for two years, followed by Robert L. Killam; H. W. Morse, and William Whiting. Isaac O. Stetson and Willard Poole, both of Pembroke, were the deacons. As the old members died and numbers decreased, the society ceased to hold meetings. For a time the church was used by the Spiritualists for meetings. In 1866 the building was remodeled for hall purposes, and called Unity Hall, and remained as such until March, 1876, when it was burned".