(Source: Nason, Elias, 1811-1887. A gazetteer of the state of Massachusetts : with numerous illustrations on wood and steel / by Elias Nason. -- Boston : B.B. Russell, 1874. -- p. 257)
on the highlands in the western part of Franklin County, has 672 inhabitants, and, for its bounds, Charlemont on the north, Buckland and Ashfield on the east, Plainfield on the south, and Savoy on the west. The land is hilly, the scenery picturesque, and the climate cold and healthful. Among the minerals here are found massive iron pyrites, magnetic iron, and zoisite. Forge Hill is one of the most prominent elevations. A large number of clear and sparkling brooks, well stored with trout, flow from the hills, and swell the waters of Deerfield River. The soil is good for grazing, and the growing of wool receives considerable attention. The town has 134 dwelling-houses, 122 farms, and raises English hay to the value of $20,000 annually. It sends large quantities of maple-sugar to market. It has four saw-mills, also manufactories of broom-handles and palm-leaf hats. There is a Congregational church at East Hawley, established Sept. 16, 1778, of which the Rev. Henry Seymour is pastor; and another at West Hawley, established Aug. 24, 1825, which has for its pastor the Rev. John Eastman. The valuation is $170, 061; and the rate of taxation, $2.50 per $100. The town sent 81 soldiers to the late war. A branch railroad is needed for the increase and prosperity of this beautiful place. There is a post-office at Hawley Centre, South Hawley, and West Hawley. The town was named in honor of Joseph Hawley of Northampton, and incorporated Feb. 7, 1792. The first church was formed Sept. 16, 1778; and the Rev. Jonathan Grout, ordained Oct. 23, 1793, was the first settled pastor. He died June 6, 1835, in the 42d year of his ministry.
The Rev. JONAS KING, D.D., missionary to Greece was born here July 29, 1792; and died at Athens, Greece, May 22, 1869.
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (in paper and on microfilm, LDS FHL microfilm number 1597896 item 15)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library|