(Source: Nason, Elias, 1811-1887. A gazetteer of the state of Massachusetts : with numerous illustrations on wood and steel / by Elias Nason. -- Boston : B.B. Russell, 1874. -- p. 552-553)
is a pleasant farming-town of 1,062 inhabitants, lying on the right bank of the Connecticut River, in the southern section of Franklin County, about 116 miles west of Boston, and 10 south of Greenfield, with which it is in communication by the Connecticut-river Railroad. It has for its boundaries Conway and Deerfield on the north, Sunderland (from which it is separated by the Connecticut River) on the east, Hatfield on the south, and Williamsburg on the west. The base line of the State Trigonometrical Survey, about 7,388 miles long, runs from the south part of Deerfield, through the easterly part of this town, to near the centre of Hatfield, on the south. Lower sandstone and calciferous mica-schist constitute the geological basis. Veins of galena, or sulpheret of lead, have been found in the western part of the town; and a thin stratum of umber and sienna, a valuable pigment, was discovered here in 1864. Several chalybeate springs are found in the easterly part of the town, one of which flows into Hopewell Brook. The land is low and swampy on the river, but high and broken in the west. Mount Esther, in the north, has an elevation of 995 feet, and affords a splendid view of the Connecticut Valley and the surrounding mountains. Mill Brook (called by the Indians Capawong), West Brook, Popple Brook, and their tributaries, flow southerly through the town, affording motive-power for four saw and two grist mills, and adding beauty to the landscape.
The town contains 151 farms, 1,370 acres of woodland, and 681 acres of wet meadow, or swale, producing about as many tons of hay per annum. As many as 303 acres are devoted to the raising of tobacco, and 86 to wheat. The value of tobacco raised in a year has been $105,334.80; of wheat, $2,782.50; of butter sold, $4,406.50; of wool, $647. There is a post-office at Whately, and also at East Whately. The village of West Whately is pleasantly situated on the highlands at the west. This town has a hotel called "The Whately House," a town-hall and library, six school-districts, and two churches, one of which is Congregational, the Rev. John W. Lane, pastor, and the other Unitarian, the Rev. Leonard W. Brigham, pastor.
It sent 82 soldiers into the late war.
This place, originally a part of Hatfield, was settled about the year 1735 by Lieut. Ebenezer Bardwell, Benjamin Scott, David Graves, Sergeant John Wait, Joseph Belding, and others. The town was named in honor of Thomas Whately, a friend of Thomas Hutchinson, and incorporated April 24, 1771. The first church was organized Aug. 13 of the same year, and the Rev. Rufus Wells was the first minister. The Rev. Lemuel P. Bates, a native of Blandford, Scotland, was settled as a colleague with Mr. Wells in 1822, and resigned in 1832.
A History of this town, by the Rev. Josiah Temple, was published in 1872, pp. 332.
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (in paper and on microfilm, LDS FHL microfilm number (0982038 item 11)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (LDS FHL microfilm number 0886750 item 1)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (LDS FHL microfilm number 0886750 item 2-4)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (LDS FHL microfilm number 0886750 item 5)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (on microfilm, LDS FHL microfilm number 1320505 item 25)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (in paper and on microfilm, LDS FHL microfilm number 1425599 item 4)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (LDS FHL microfilm number 0886751 item 1)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (LDS FHL microfilm number 0886751 item 3)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (LDS FHL microfilm number 0959001)|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (LDS FHL microfilm number 0886751 item 2)|
|Part titles, etc.||Dates||LDS FHL|
|Births, marriages, and deaths||1749-1856||0770462|
|Births, marriages, and deaths||1857-1900||1887662|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (for LDS FHL microfilm numbers, see the table above)|