The Towns of Hampshire Countyby Cindy Brown
Also included: Unincorporated villages, neighborhoods, etc. Towns appear with a *.
Aldrich Mills is a section of Granby south of Aldrich Mill Lane near the South Hadley border.
*Amherst was originally the Third Precinct of Hadley, incorporated as a town in 1759. The town was augmented by grants from Hadley in 1789, 1811 and 1812. An additional grant and boundary decision with Hadley were made in 1814. North Amherst is a quadrant of the two enclosed by Routes 63 and 116.
Bancroft is a section of Middlefield on its southern border with Becket, west of Town Hill Road.
Bay State is a section of Northampton south of a bend in Mill River near Riverside Dr.
*Belchertown was incorporated in 1761. Settlers began arriving in 1731. It was part of the so-called 'Equivalent Lands," and was originally known as Cold Spring. Parts of Belchertown were set off to Greenwich in 1765, 1771 and 1787, to Pelham in 1787, and to Enfield in 1817. Even without these areas, Belchertown is today the second-largest town in area in Massachusetts.
Bisbee Mill is an area of Chesterfield near Dead Branch River.
Bondsville is an area in the southeast part of Belchertown, on Route 181 as it crosses into Palmer, Hampden Co.
Bradstreet is an area of Hatfield in the upper northeast corner of town on the Connecticut River.
Brush Hollow is a section of Middlefield at Tom Hill Road and Factory Brook.
*Chesterfield was re-named from New Hingham in 1762. The original grant included the town of Goshen, which was set off in 1781. Chesterfield was augmented by grants from Goshen in 1787 and from Norwich in 1794. New Hingham lands were laid out as early as 1739, and grants were made to veterans of King Philip's and King Williams's Wars in 1740. Actual settlement did not occur until around 1755. West Chesterfield is located at the juncture of Route 14 and the Westfield River.
Cold Spring was the original name of Belchertown.
Cooks Corner is a section of Granby north of Forge Pond at Batchelder St. near the eastern border of town.
Crank (The Crank) was a section of Granby in its southeast quadrant, in the area of Turkey Hill Brok.
*Cummington was originally part of "Plantation Number 5" and was incorporated in 1762. The original grant included the town of Plainfield, which was set off in 1785. An additional area was annexed to Plainfield in 1794. West Cummington is north of Route 9 and east of Bush Hill Road.
Cushman is a section of the north part of Amherst, east of Henry St. and Hill Road.
Dwight is an area in the NW part of Belchertown, around Route 9.
East Village is a section of Amherst east of North East Street and north of Main Street.
*Easthampton was set off as a town from Northampton in 1785. The town annexed portions of Southampton in 1841 and 1850.
*Enfield was set off from Greenwich in 1816. The town received a grant from Belchertown in 1817. Enfield was one of the "Lost Towns," evacuated and flooded during the construction of Quabbin Reservoir in 1938. There is also an Enfield, Connecticut which might be confused with this town.
Five Corners is a section of Granby at the juncture of West State, Pleasant, and Amherst Streets.
Florence is an unincorporated village of Northampton in the area of Mill River, Route 9, and Spring St.
Foner is a section of Southampton east of Foner Road and ear the New Intake Reservoir.
Gibb's Crossing is a section of Ware on its south border with Palmer.
Glendale Falls is a section of Middlefield west of Glendale Brook and west of River Road.
*Goshen was set off from Chesterfield in 1781. It received land from Conway in 1785. Part of Goshen was annexed to Chesterfield in 1789.
Goss Heights is a section of Huntingdon between Westfield Road and Goss Road at the bend of the river.
*Granby was incorporated from South Hadley in 1768. The town had been the Second Precinct of South Hadley, organized in 1762. The town received a grant of land from South Hadley in 1792.
*Greenwich was renamed from "Quabin" in 1754. The town received land from Belchertown and Hardwick in 1765, and from Belchertown again in 1771 and 1787. Part of the town was annexed to Dana (now extinct) in 1801. In 1816 part of Greenwich was set off as Enfield. Greenwich was one of the "Lost Towns" which was evacuated and flooded by the construction of Quabbin Reservoir in 1938.
*Hadley was one of the parent towns of Hampshire County, incorporated in 1661. The town was created from grants of land made in 1659 to Governor Bradstreet and Major General Dennison. Settlement began in 1660.
The original grant of Hadley included the present towns of Amherst (1759; additional grants to Amherst 1789, 1811, 1812, and 1814; boundary fixed 1814), Hatfield (1670), Granby (from South Hadley, 1768), South Hadley (1753), Whately (now in Franklin County, set off from Hatfield, 1771), and Williamsburg (from Hatfield, 1771), as well as part of present-day Northampton (annexed to Northampton in 1850). North Hadley is south of Lake Warner and east of Mt. Warner Road.
*Hatfield was created from Hadley in 1670. Parts of Hatfield were set off as Whately and Williamsburg, both in 1771. There was a boundary settlement with Williamsburg in 1845. North Hatfield is on the northern border east of Routes 5 and 10. West Hatfield is at the juncture of Routes 5, 10 and Linseed Road. Hatfield Station is at Bridge and Dwight Streets.
Haydenville is a section of Williamsburg north of Myrtle Ave. and west of Beaver Brook, near the southern border of town.
Hockanum is a section of Hadley in the lower southwest tip of the town, between the Connecticut River and South Hadley.
*Huntington was renamed from "Norwich" in 1855. The town received grants from Murrayfield in 1781, Chester in 1851 and Blandford in 1853. Parts of the town were annexed to Montgomery in 1780 and 1792, and to Chesterfield in 1794.
Knights Corner is a part of Pelham east of the juncture of Route 202 and Knight St.
Leeds is an unincorporated village of Northampton in the northern part of town west of Route 9 and Florence St.
Lithium is a part of Goshen at the corner of Route 9 and Spruce Corner Road.
Loudville is a part of Westhampton near the juncture of Route 66 and Mine Road.
Meads Corner is part of Pelham west of the juncture of Route 202 and Knight St.
*Middlefield was incorporated from part of Worthington in 1783. The town received land from Becket, Chester, Partridgefield and Washington in 1783.
Mill Valley is a section of Amherst at the juncture of Route 116 and Mill Lane.
Moody Corner is a section of Granby at the juncture of Route 116 and Burnett St. near the South Hadley border.
Mount Tom is a section of Easthampton coinciding with the mountain of that name, in the northeast corner of the town on the Connecticut River.
New Hingham was re-named Chesterfield in 1762.
New Lisburne was re-named Pelham in 1743.
*Northampton was one of the parent towns of Hampshire County, incorporated in 1654. It is the county seat. The original grant included Easthampton (1785), Southampton (set off in 1753 as the Second Precinct,) and Westhampton (1778). The town received a grant from Hadley in 1850, and part of the city was annexed to Holyoke, Hampden Co. in 1909.
North Farms is a section of Northampton east of North Farms Road.
Norwich was created from Murrayfield in 1773, and re-named Huntingdon in 1855. The town received grants from Murrayfield in 1781, Chester in 1851 and Blandford in 1853. Parts of the town were annexed to Montgomery in 1780 and 1792, and to Chesterfield in 1794.
Norwich is also a section of Huntingdon, between Allen Coit Road and Route 66.
Norwich Bridge is a section of Huntingdon north of Bromley Road near its juncture with Basket St.
Notch (The Notch) is a section of Granby cutting through the mountain on Route 116.
*Pelham was renamed from New Lisburne in 1743. The town was originally settled by a group of Scottish families in 1738. These families had emigrated to Boston in 1718 and had had spent years trying to find the ideal are to settle. The original boundaries included the town of Prescott, set off in 1822. The town received a grant from Belchertown in 1788. West Pelham is on the western border of town south of Amherst Road.
Pine Grove is a part of Northampton south of Rocky Hill Road at the juncture of Florence Road.
*Plainfield was set off from Cummington in 1785. The town was augmented by land from Cummington in 1794 and from Hawley in 1803.
*Prescott was set off from Pelham in 1822, and included land formerly of New Salem. Prescott was one of the "Lost Towns," evacuated and flooded during the construction of Quabbin Reservoir in 1938; parts of the town were annexed to New Salem. The Prescott Peninsula extends into the reservoir
Quabin was re-named Greenwich in 1754.
Ringsville is a section of Worthington in the SW part of town along Route 112.
Russellville is a section name in two towns: Hadley, south of Cumins Road, and Southampton, in the southern part of town to the east of Russellville Road.
Sandy Hills is a part of South Hadley between Hadley and Woodbridge St.
Scarsville is a section of Williamsburg south of the juncture of Route 9 and Hemenway Road.
*South Hadley was set off from Hadley in 1753. The original boundaries included Granby (set off as the Second Precinct of the town in 1762, incorporated in 1768). Following a boundary settlement additional land was annexed to Granby in 1792.
South Hadley Falls is a part of South Hadley along Route 116 bordering the Connecticut River.
*Southampton was set off as the Second Precinct of Northampton in 1753. Parts of the town were annexed to Montgomery in 1780 and 1792, and to Easthampton in 1841 and 1850.
Swanson Corners is a part of Southampton at the juncture of Route 10 and Valley Road.
Swift River is section of Cummington north of Swift River and along Route 112.
Three Rivers is a locality at the juncture of the Ware, Swift and Chicopee Rivers, part of which is in Ware, part in Palmer, Hampden Co.
*Ware was re-named from Ware River in 1761. The town received grants from Western in 1822 and Brookfield in 1823. It includes the neighborhoods of Ware Center (juncture of Route 9 and Topper Road) and West Ware (below the Windsor Dam along the Ware River).
Ware River was re-named Ware in 1761.
West Farms is a section of Northampton south of the juncture of West Farms Road and Turkey Hill Road.
Westbrook is an area of Hatfield, on the town's northern border at the juncture of Plain River and Mountain Road.
*Westhampton was set off from Northampton in 1778.
*Williamsburg was set off from Hatfield in 1771. There was a boundary settlement with Hatfield in 1845.
*Worthington was re-named from "Plantation Number 3" in 1768. The grant included the town of Middlefield, set off in 1783. The town annexed part of Chester in 1899. It includes the neighborhoods of Worthington Center, at the juncture of Route 112 and Sam Hill Road; West Worthington, at the juncture of Route 143, Lindsay Road and River Road; and Worthington Corners, at Old Post and Worthington Roads.
Somers and Woodstock, Connecticut: Formerly located in Hampshire County. Vital records are indexed in Connecticut; however, early deeds and probate records would be located in the Hampden County registry in Springfield, Mass.
| Return to Hampshire County Home |