Chesterfield, Massachusetts Town Seal Chesterfield, Massachusetts
Incorporated: 1762

Site Resources

Your Resource needed here!
E-Mail
if you have something to contribute


Research Resources Available Elsewhere

Compiled by Cindy Brown & Laurel O'Donnell

Town Clerk

413-296-4741
413-296-4394 fax
P. O. Box 33, Town Hall - 422 Main Rd., Chesterfield, MA 01012
M: 7p-9p and by appointment

Vital Records

Some materials available in the Walter E. Corbin Collection, comp. by Walter E. and Lottie S. Corbin, available from the New England Historic and Genealogical Society: Reel 5: Chesterfield

Churches and Religious History

The First Congregational Church was gathered Oct. 30, 1764. Ministers: Rev. Benajmin Mills, ordained 1764, dismised 1774; Rev. Josiah Kilburn, ordained 1780, died 1781; Rev. Timothy Allen, installed 1785, dismissed 1796; Rev. Isaiah Waters, ordained 1796, dismissed 1831. Deacons included Col. Ezra May; Brig. Gen. Benjamin Tupper; Benjamin Pierce; Thomas Halbert; Nathaniel Colman; Spencer Phelps; John Russell.
Original records were deposited in the town library.
"Church Records: Chesterfield." 1764-1835.
"Records of the Congregational Church in Chesterfield" 1835-1912.
Society Records 1828-1844.
"Parish Records in Chesterfield. 1846." 1845-1866.
Parish Records 1870-1932.

Historic Sites & Societies

Bisbee Mill Museum, 66 East Street, Chesterfield, MA 01012, Phone: (413) 296-4750
Features an old blacksmith shop and woodworking shop as they used to be, a grist mill in process of being restored and more than 300 historic items on display.

Chesterfield Historical Society
The Chesterfield Historical Society was organized on December 27, 1950 with 28 charter members, to operate the Edwards Memorial Museum in the building at 3 North Road, given for this purpose by Edith Fobes by a deed accepted by the town of Chesterfield in February 1951. In December 1995 the Historical Society accepted and was deeded the former old shop building that included an old grist mill, woodworking shop and blacksmith shop by Bisbee Brothers- located at 66 East Street for the cost of $1.00. This museum is known as The Bisbee Mill Museum.

Other Pertinent Links

State of Massachusetts, Chesterfield Commonwealth Community Information
Massachusetts State DHCD Community Profile of Chesterfield


| Return to Town List |
| Return to Hampshire County Home |
USGenWeb Logo E-Mail Laurel O'Donnell
This page was last updated on July 12, 1999