Your Resource needed here!
if you have something to contribute
Research Resources Available Elsewhere
Compiled by Cindy Brown & Laurel O'Donnell
Granby has always been a small, largely rural community. Early settlers often came from neighboring towns, particularly South Hadley, of which Granby was the Second, or East, Parish (organized 1762). In the late 19th and early 20th centuries more recent immigrants established a presence, particularly French-Canadians and Polish-Americans who moved from the industrial areas of Holyoke and Springfield.
Town Hall - 250 State St., Kellogg Hall, Granby, MA 01033
M-Th: 9a-3p; Fr: 9a-12p
1st & 3rd Mon. of Mo: 7p-9p
Pre-1850 vital records have not been published in book form. Microfilms of these records were made by the Mormons and are available through the FHL system. Additional resources include materials in the Walter E. Corbin Collection, comp. by Walter E. and Lottie S. Corbin, available from the New England Historic and Genealogical Society: Reel 7: Enfield, Florence, Goshen, Granby
Churches and Religious History
Congregational: The Second Parish of South Hadley was organized Oct. 3, 1762, and the Congregational Church in 1768. There are no church records extant before 1821; purportedly one departing minister took records with him, which have not been recovered. In 1821 the church divided into East and West Parishes; continuity was with the East Parish. The two were reunited in 1836. Original records were deposited in the town library:
Church Records 1821-1858
"Records of the eastern religious society in Granby," 1825-1844
Parish Records 1845-1876
Parish Records 1877-1913
Baptists: A small Baptist meeting, an outgrowth of the Baptist church in Wilbraham (Hampden Co.), met in the 1790s before dissolving; check Baptist records for Wilbraham for Granby residents who may have attended one or both churches.
Methodists: Methodists held meetings in Granby in the 19th century, but did not build a church. They sometimes used the old "West Parish" church building. Some or most attended church in Belchertown; see Ethel Alden Collis, Methodism in Belchertown and Enfield (1948).
Catholics: Roman Catholics attended churches in neighboring towns until the 1920s, when Granby became a missionary post of the new Belchertown Catholic parish. The Immaculate Heart of Mary Church was built in 1949. A priest of a French parish in Holyoke had his summer estate in Granby, which he donated to friends in a monastic order; this became St. Hyacinth Seminary, still operating as a college.
West Street Cemetery: Public cemetery located near the center of town. Still in use; earliest burials date back to 18th century. Partially recorded in the Walter E. Corbin Collection.
North Street Cemetery: Town-maintained, no longer used for burials. Gravestones were indexed by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1938.
Granby Bicentennial 1768-1968 (Belchertown: Quabbin Publishing, 1968): History prepared at the time of the town's Bicentennial. Partially indexed 1996 by Cindy Brown; contact for lookups.
Sylvester Judd, History of Hadley, South Hadley, Amherst and Granby, Massachusetts (Picton Press, 1905, reissued 1993).
Manual of the Church of Christ in Granby, Massachusetts, including a Historical Sketch. . . (Springfield, 1875).
Esther Gallup Snyder, Old Houses: Granby, Massachusetts (Granby Woman's Club, 1954; 1965): Describes homes and families. Indexed 1996 by Cindy Brown.
Hisoric Sites & Societies
Goshen Historical Comm Mus, Main Goshen MA 01032, Phone: (413) 268-7026
Other Pertinent Links
State of Massachusetts, Granby Commonwealth Community Information
Massachusetts State Community Profile of Granby
Community Information & Links
| Return to Town List |
| Return to Hampshire County Home |