Groton Town Web Site

Groton Public Library

Groton Historical Society
172 Main Street
P.O. Box 202
Groton, Massachusetts 01450

Historical Maps

53rd Mass Volunteer Infantry

Division of the town of Groton

350th Anniversary

USGenNet for Middlesex County has links about Groton

Epitaphs from the Old Burial Ground

WEB SPACE PROVIDED BY ROOTSWEB

Copyright 2008 Middlesex Co. USGenWeb

 

This web space is currently available for adoption. Email Michael Lewis, to inquire about being the Groton Town Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project

 

 

Welcome to Groton, Massachusetts

USGenWeb Project

A Brief History of Groton

Groton had its precarious beginnings when John Tinker followed Indian Trails from the Bay area and settled near the mouth of Nod Brook on the Nashua to set up his trading post to do business with the Nashaway Indians. The area was known as Petapawag, an Indian name for swampy land. Adventuresome families soon followed, on foot or on horseback, and found it a good place for the necessary farming and fishing.

In 1655, this trading post evolved into a formal settlement called The Plantation of Groton, which encompassed all of what is now Groton and Ayer, nearly all of Pepperell and Shirley, a large part of Dunstable and Littleton, as well as smaller parts of Harvard, Westford, Nashua, NH, and Hollis, NH. It was named in honor of one of the original Selectmen, Dean Winthrop, who was born in Groton, Suffolk County, England.

In 1676, during the King Philip's War, Indians attacked the town and burned down all but four garrison houses. The surviving residents fled to Concord and other safe havens returning two years later to rebuild the town.

As Groton's population grew so did many supporting industries including a soapstone quarry, a large hop-growing industry, a brick factory, a saw mill, a grist mill, and a pewter mill which produced tea pots, plates, cups, and buttons.

West Groton lies within a "V" formed by the Nashua and the Squannacook rivers. The old red brick Groton Leatherboard factory still stands on the Squannacook River as an example of the late industrial period of a New England mill village. West Groton has its own post office, fire station, and water department. In the past, other areas of Groton were designated as east, south, and north, but only West Groton's name survived.

from town official web page

 

STATE RESOURCES:

Massachusetts USGenWeb

Middlesex County USGenWeb Project

Massachusetts Historical Society

Boston Public Library

New England Historic and Genealogical Society

 

Mailing Lists, Message Boards and Volunteers 

Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness : Site offers lookups by volunteers all over the world. Check out Middlesex County volunteers for availability of research look-ups you might need. Please note these are volunteers and you should read the FAQ's about what to ask, and the rules about asking more than one person to look up or research the same request. Violators will not get a response !

Look-ups in History of Groton by Caleb Butler - Susan

Middlesex County Mailing list : Subscribe to the mailing list to submit email requests to fellow researches of Middlesex County, connect with cousins and get answers to questions ranging from "newbie how-to" to specific questions about genealogical brick walls. Lots of people on this mailing list have access to a multitude of records. SUBSCRIBE

Middlesex County Message Board at Rootsweb : Post a one time message and check back for any replies to your query.