Houses of the Past

 




Zach Geary (Gerry) House (from a painting)
Location Southeast corner of Pond and Hancock Streets.

The house was built in 1708 by Nathaniel Lawrence, formerly a resident of Groton, MA,
on the Lawrence farm of 90 acres. Bought in 1725 by Thomas Geary, Jr. who lived there
for a time, and divided the farm between his son Thomas and daughter Sarah who married
John May (the blacksmith) and lived in the old house on Summer Street. Zachaeus Geary
was not a direct descendent of Thomas Jr., but he came to occupy it in 1833. Minerva Geary,
daughter of Zachaeus, lived there with her mother after her father's death. After her
death, the house was torn down. In the top right background is James Gould's octagon
house on Summer Street.

Source: Stoneham Historical Society, May, 2001







"Wedding Cake" octagon house at 72 Pine Street. Built about 1850 for Enoch Fuller
and later occupied by G. W. Trowbridge, a local shoe manufacturer. One of three
octagon houses in Stoneham.

Source: Stoneham Historical Society, May, 2001


 




Home of Arad Gerry on Main Street.
Built in 1867 and torn down in 1941.
Present location of the Post Office.


Source: Stoneham Historical Society, April, 2001







David Burnham House on Main Street.
Built ca 1835. Photo taken ca 1900. Torn down about 1934.
Present location about 231 Main Street.

Source: Stoneham Historical Society, April, 2001






Aaron and Peter Hay Homestead.
Built in 1727 near the corner of Central and William Streets.
It was torn down in the 1950s to build the High School, now the Middle School.

Source: Stoneham Historical Society, April, 2001