Queries and Lookups
When you send in a genealogical query, there a few basic points to cover:
- put in as much information about the person you are making the query about as possible. This includes:
- name (variant spellings should be indicated in full in brackets)
- dates (birth, death, marriage, arrival in Canada or the area covered by this GenWeb site)
- names of relatives (e.g., wife, husband, parents, siblings, children), if relevant
Make sure you proofread your query:
- spelling should be correct
- uppercase letters should be uppercase, etc.
- you ask a question
If you send out a general request for help, as in the examples below, you will not get much help and your query will likely be deleted from the query page (after being notified first). Nobody is really going to want to provide everything that they have.
Examples that likely won't get a response and that will be deleted.
1. Would like information on the following families: Wilson, Sparks, Johnson, Anderson, Bergeron.
2. Would like information on the Herchmer family. Originated in the USA.
3. Any information of the Jones family of X County (wrong site chosen for posting query).
See further comments and suggestions on query writing here.
answer your genealogical questions. Here are some places where queries can be posted.
The Pembina Valley and Manitoba query pages are generously hosted by GenConnect.
- Pembina Valley region
This one is specifically for the Pembina Valley site. If you are not sure that a place is within the area covered by Pembina Valley Region GenWeb, see the <"places.html">Places page.
- Saskatchewan - General
This one is to be used when you know only that the place was/is in Manitoba.
- Canada - Unknown
Use this one where the location is only known as Canada or the province or territory is unknown.
GenWeb sites adjacent to Pembina Valley Region
In North Dakota:
Home | Archives, libraries, museums, etc. | Birth, marriage, and death records | Cemetery locations | Cemetery records | Census information | Events | Family web pages | Hints | History | Land records | Maps | Municipal/administrative history | Newspapers | Places | Queries | Special projects | Research and look ups | Visitors' information
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 3 March 2002. Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright 2001 - 2004
Maintained by the Webmaster of Pembina Valley Region
Last updated 22 January 2004