Taverns & Inns along the National Pike
Excerpt from "The Old Pike - A History of the National Road" by Thomas B. Searight © 1894
On the western slope of Sideling Hill, about midway between the summit and the foot, Thomas Norris kept a tavern, which was a favorite resort of wagoners. His house was a large stone building, on the north side of the road. There was a picturesqueness about the location of this old tavern that imparted a peculiar spice to the ordinary rounds of entertainment enjoyed by its guests. Samuel Cessna kept this house at one time.
One mile west of Sideling Hill creek, a wagon stand was kept by the widow Ashkettle, another widow, and she no exception to the rule before stated, that the widows all kept good houses. Her name is not inappropriate to some of the duties of housekeeping, but Mrs. Ashkettle's forte was not in making lye, but in setting a good, clean table. She had a son, David, who managed the business of the house for her. Her house was a frame building, and stood on the north side of the road.
Two miles west of Mrs. Ashkettle's the wayfarer struck the point bearing the homely name of "Snib Hollow." These old names never wear out, no matter how ugly they are, and it is well they do not. They all have a significance and an interest, local or otherwise, which would be lost by a change of name. Quidnunes in history and literature have exerted their restless talents in efforts to obliterate these seemingly rude, old names, and substitute fancy ones in their stead, but they have failed, and their failure is a pleasant tribute to the supremacy of common sense. As early as 1825 the widow Turnbull kept a tavern at Snib Hollow. Later, an old wagon stand was kept there by John Alder, who had a large run of customers. His house was a log building, on the north side of the road.
Town Hill comes next, a half a mile west of Snib Hollow, at the foot of which Dennis Hoblitzell kept a tavern as early as the year 1830, and probably earlier. The house was on the east side of the road, and the locality is often called Piney Plains. Mrs. McClelland, of the McClelland House, Uniontown, is a daughter of Dennis Hoblitzell. Samuel Cessna subsequently kept this house, and stage lines and wagon lines all stopped at it. It was here, and in Cessna's time, that Governor Corwin, of Ohio, was treated as a negro servant, mention of which is made in another chapter. In 1836 John Snider stopped over night at this house, with a load of emigrants, while Cessna was keeping it, and had to clean the oats he fed to his horses with an ordinary bed sheet, the windmill not having reached this point at that early day.
At the foot of Town Hill, on the west side, Henry Bevans kept a tavern. It was a wagon stand, and likewise a station for one of the stage lines. The house stood on the north side of the road, and enjoyed a good trade. Samuel Luman, the old stage driver, kept this house in 1839.
Two miles west from the Bevans house is Green Ridge, where an old wagon stand was kept by Elisha Collins. His house was a log building, and stood on the north side of the road. Although this house was humble in appearance, old wagoners are unstinted in bestowing praises on its ancient good cheer.
Trudging onward, two miles further to the westward, the old wagoner, and many a weary traveler, found a pleasant resting place at "Pratt's Hollow," where Samuel Hamilton kept a cozy old tavern. It was a frame house, on the north side of the road. Hamilton was a planter as well as tavern keeper, and raised tobacco and owned and worked negro slaves. Levi McGruder succeeded Hamilton as the keeper of this house. This locality derived its name from Pratt, who owned the property at an early day, and, upon authority of the veteran David Mahaney, kept the first tavern there. An incident occurred at Pratt's Hollow in the year 1842, which brings to memory the state of public society in ante bellum times. Among the old wagoners of the road, was Richard Shadburn. He was a native of Virginia, and born a slave, while his complexion was so fair, and his hair so straight, that he readily passed for a white man. When quite young he escaped from his master and struck out for liberty among the enlivening scenes of the great highway of the Republic.. On a certain evening of the year mentioned, he drove into McGruder's wagon yard along with a number of other wagoners, to rest for the night. The sun had not yet disappeared behind the western hills, and a stage coach pulled up in front of McGruder's tavern, and stopped for water, as was the custom at that point. Among the passengers in that coach was the owner of the slave, Shadburn. Looking out through the window of the coach he observed and recognized Shadburn, and calling to his aid a fellow passenger, emerged from the coach with a determination to reclaim his property. Dick was seized, but being a man of great muscular power, succeeded in releasing himself from the clutches of his assailants and fled. The disappointed master fired at Dick with a pistol, as he ran, but he made good his escape. The team driven by Shadburn belonged to Parson's of Ohio, who shortly after the escapade mentioned, sent another driver to McGruder's to take charge of it. Shadburn never afterward reappeared on the road, and it is believed that he found a home and at last a grave in Canada.
It was near Pratt's Hollow that the Cotrells, father and two sons, murdered a peddler in 1822, the perpetrators of which crime were all hung from the same scaffold in Frederic. The old tavern at Pratt's Hollow was destroyed by fire many years ago, and was never rebuilt. Two miles west from Pratt's Hollow, John S. Miller conducted an old tavern, and a good one. His house was a frame building, and stood on the north side of the road. It was a popular stopping place for wagoners. Miller kept this house as early as 1836, and subsequently became the proprietor of the old tavern, five miles west of Washington, Pennsylvania, where he died.
"Polish Mountain" is reached next, one mile west of the old Miller stand. On the summit of this little, but picturesque mountain, Philip Fletcher kept an old tavern, and greeted and treated thousands of old wagoners and other travelers. His house stood on the north side of the road, and was made of logs, but the table it furnished was equal to the best on the road.
Old log structure was at the top of Polish Mountain between Gilpin and Pratt. Tavern on north side of road. 1830-1854. Philip Fletcher owner.
Allegany County court records show Thomas Pratt sells land Resurvey of New Garden/Gordon to one PHILIP FLETCHER, for $350.00, Liber M - Folio 578 - 12 Nov 1824.
Other deeds to verify:
|And next comes Flintstone, four miles west of Fletcher's. All old pike boys remember Flintstone. The name has a familiar ring. The stages stopped at Flintstone, and Thomas Robinson kept the leading tavern there, in the olden time. His house was a stage station, and a wagon stand as well. Robinson, the good old landlord, got into a difficulty, many years ago, with one Silas Twigg, and was killed outright by his assailant. As early as 1835 Jonathan Huddleson kept a tavern in Flintstone, and had the patronage of one of the stage lines. He subsequently kept the old Tomlinson tavern at the Little Meadows.|
|Research by Connie Beachy||
Robosson's was described as being east of Flintstone, on the western side of Polish Mountain at the bottom of the mountain, thus making it just east of Flintstone.A February issue of the Green Branch Intelligencer notes that Thomas Robosson was murdered by Sela Twigg in February, 1838. Twigg stabbed Robosson, an Innkeeper, in the stomach after Robosson tried to evict Twigg from the Tavern/Inn. [Note: Searight misspelled both Robosson's and Sela Twigg's names in "The Old Pike" ]
Robert Hamilton was murdered in March 1838, in Oldtown. Hamilton resided in the Flintstone area and may have been a customer at the Robosson Inn/Tavern in January when Sela Twigg had murdered the innkeeper, Thomas Robosson. It was Sela’s brother who murdered Hamilton.
Robert Hamilton’s estate was settled by an appointed Administrator, John Piper, JR., owner of the Flintstone Hotel and old Flintstone Store. Among the many debts Hamilton owed were the following:
Tavern Debt to Thomas Robosson = $2.84. Debt incurred in January and February, 1838, for 3 pounds coffee, 2 pounds sugar, sacks (?), tape, skeins of thread, chock, more coffee, and one drink. Unpaid at time of Robert's death.
Debt to Thomas Robosson, for $19.64, incurred 1/31/1838 for Value received. Unpaid at time of death.
INN/TAVERN - We are unsure where this inn was located at this time.
|John Piper was an old tavern keeper at Flintstone. His house was a favorite summer resort, and also enjoyed the patronage of old wagoners. The Piper house is a large brick building, and stands on the north side of the road. John Piper died about the year 1872. The house is continued as a tavern under the joint management of John Howard, a son-in-law; and an unmarried daughter of the old proprietor.|
The Flintstone Hotel, also
known as the Piper House. Currently being restored.
|Henry B. Elbon also kept a tavern in Flintstone for many years, but his career began after that of the old road ended. Elbon died about four or five years ago. Fairweather and Ladew, of New York, own and operate a large tannery at Flintstone. Two miles west of Flintstone, Martin's Mountain is encountered, at the foot of which, on the east, Thomas Streets presided over an old tavern, and welcomed and cared for many a guest. His house was a frame structure, on the south side of the road.|
The property on which this
house sits was conveyed to the Willisons. What is yet to be proven is
whether Thomas Streets built and used the stone house as a tavern.
Searight describes the tavern as an old frame structure. We are
searching for records to resolve this question.
|Research by Connie Beachy||
PROPERTY: Original owner was Jonas L. Street.
Street to Willison - Liber 6-Folio 194 - 24 ___ 1849 - Elisha Willison, Hilary's father, bought land from Daniel Wolford, appointed trustee on 9 May 1846 after Court of Equity passed cause in case between George Wolford and Jonas L. Street filed 25 Oct 1845. Parcels of land were I AM LOST, ADDITION TO STONEY LEVEL, SHINER?, GOOD ____?, RESURVEY ON CRESAP'S NEGLECT except such part thereof as lays on the south side of the turnpike road leading from the town of Cumberland to Flintstone and which said excepted part was sold by said Trustee to one Jonathan Hendrixson.......
Elisha paid only $5 for the 211+ acres. Hendrixson paid $1,255.00 for his share.
Liber 15-Folio 544 - Part of this property is sold by Elisha and Anah, his wife, to the Fairview Methodist Church for $10. Said land is all that piece or parcel on which the Brick Church now stands, situated some thirty rods in a northwestern direction from Gate #7 on the Cumberland Turnpike Road, said church known as the Fairview Chappel...
Liber 22-Folio 696 - In 1865, after Elisha dies, heirs release their interest in this land to Anah, Elisha's widow, and after her death to Hilary, her son.
The property where the church was built is facing Street Road, making one wonder if it had previously been the Cumberland Pike. This is also where the Fairview cemetery was located about ¼ mile south of old Route 40.
Thomas Streets/Willison Stone House 1991,
shortly before demolition. For more photos, click
|Two miles further on the westward tramp the widow Osford kept a regular old wagon stand. She was assisted by her son, Joseph. It is needless to state that her house was popular. She was a widow. Her house was a log building, on the south side of the road, with a large wagon yard attached. Her dining room occupied the greater portion of the ground floor of her house, and her table was always crowded with hungry guests. Kitchen and bar room made up the remainder of the first story, and wagoners' beds covered every inch of the bar room floor at night. Mrs. Osford retired from this house after a long season of prosperity, and was succeeded by Peter Hager, an old wagoner, who at one time drove a team for William Searight.|
3-great grandmother of
of Widow Osford/Hosford
The Widow Osford was actually Ann Sterling Hunter Hosford. Joseph was Joseph Hunter her son by first husband who was also Joseph Hunter. They came from Ireland around 1790, settling first in Harford County and later ran a tavern in Clear Spring, Washington County. Joseph, Sr. died in December 1819 and the belongings they had were sold. Most were purchased by Othniel Hosford. Ann married Othniel Hosford on January 1, 1820 in Washington County, Maryland. I could not find them on 1830 Maryland Census but she was on the 1840 Census for Allegany County. The information given in book the Old Pike was correct except for names.
County > Fort Frederick Hundred page 509:
County > Election District 5 p 319
County Census p 53:
1840 District 9
Allegany County Census p 25:
When or where either Ann Sterling Hunter Hosford or her son Joseph died remains a mystery, but Joseph's wife Margaret Holman Hunter was in Fayette County, Pa. in the 1850 census . She was living with her daughter, Catherine and her son-in-law, Elisha and Catherine Hunter Wheeler. Margaret Holman Hunter died in 1856 in Fayette County. Ann Sterling Hunter Hosford may have retired from the tavern and moved to Pennsylvania but that remains to be proven.
Township > Fayette Co > Pennsylvania p 279:
Township > Fayette Co > Pennsylvania p 428:
|Two miles west from widow Osford's, Henry Miller kept an old tavern. It was a brick house, on the south side of the road. It will be noted that Miller is the leading name among the old tavern keepers of the road. The Smiths don't figure much in this line.|
|Research in progress||Henry
Find Henry Miller deed. The Millers have a separate index book in the Land Records section of courthouse, so this may not get verified for a while.
Excerpts from the Cumberland Times:
MILLER 15 May 1912 The flood on Sunday evening struck Emanuel Miller near the Six Mile House on the Baltimore Pike hard. His work shop with all of his carpenter tools, his meat house with all of his cured meats, his poultry house with all of his poultry, went down the stream together which is a considerable loss, besides the damage to his fields and crops.
MILLER 20 Nov 1912 Miss Edith Miller, 22 years old daughter of John Miller, died at her home on the Baltimore Pike, about 2 miles from the city. The funeral will take place at 2:00 at Beans Cove.
|Two miles west of Henry Miller's an old tavern was kept by Slifer, whose first name is lost to memory. It is probable he was of the family of Slifers who kept at Boonsboro. It is said of this Slifer that he was a good, square dealing landlord, kept a good house and enjoyed a fair share of patronage.|
The Plummer House - 6 Miles
East of Cumberland
|Research in progress||
An article in the
Cumberland Times-News of 21 July 2002 calls this the SIX MILE HOUSE,
formerly the Habeeb House where a florist shop operated. The article in
the Times, by Mona Ridder lists the progression of Inns as the
Flintstone Hotel then the Stone House followed by the Six Mile House.
Closer to Cumberland is Colonial Manor (Turdey Flight Manor or Folck’s
Mill). Later in this article it is stated “In 1908 the house was
referred to as PLUMMER’S TAVERN.
Allegany Courthouse records show:
Paul Bucey purchased 103 acres of land called Great Friendship, from William Hendrickson; Allegany County Land Record Liber A-Folio 264, date of sale 23 Feb 1793. This land is now a part of Rocky Gap State Park. The Paul Bucey Cemetery is located not far from the Lodge.
From the Cumberland Times of 1910: PERRIN 24 Sep 1910 Miss Estelle Perrin, a daughter of Mr & Mrs Frank Perrin, living on the Bretz Farm on the Baltimore Pike, died yesterday at 12 o'clock at the Allegany Hospital from the effects of an operation for appendicitis, aged 17 years. Burial in Pleasant Grove cemetery.
Also from Cumberland Times: CLOVER HILL FARM 04 Oct 1911 Mr Thomas G Pownell, who recently purchased the farm of the late Calton L Bretz on the Baltimore Pike, 6 miles east of Cumberland at Beans Cove road, has sold a portion which includes the farm house and barn to Mr A. T. McLuckie, who currently lives 4 miles east of Cumberland on the Oldtown Road. The tract purchased is 162 acres in extent and he acquires possession on January 1, 1912. The agreed upon price is understood to be $11,000.00. Mr Pownell retains ownership of 340 acres.
FARM 17 Aug 1911 Advertisement for: Private sale of a fine farm, Clover
Hill Farm, more commonly known as the Bretz farm, is offered for sale-
Mrs CL Bretz, Washington St, Cumberland. NOTE: The farm buildings have
since been dismantled and the land leveled for the Rocky Gap State Park
and Golf Course.
Old Taverns and Tavern Keepers continued - Cumberland to Little Crossings- The City of Cumberland - Everstine's -The Six Mile House and Bridge - Clary's-Tragedy in Frostburg- Thomas Beall -Sand Springs-Big Savage-Little Savage-Thomas Johnson-The Shades of Death-John Recknor-Piney Grove -Mortimer Cade- Tomlinson's- Widow Wooding.
The city of Cumberland is the initial point, as before stated, of that portion of the National Road which was constructed by authority of Congress, and paid for with funds drawn from the public treasury of the United States. In 1835 James Black kept the leading tavern in Cumberland. It was a stage house. In 1836 John and Emory Edwards, of Boonsboro, leased the Black House, and conducted it as a tavern for many years thereafter. John Snider, the old pike boy of pleasant memory, hauled a portion of the household goods of the Edwards' from their old home in Boonsboro to their new location at Cumberland. At the date last mentioned there were two wagon stands in Cumberland. One of them was kept by Thomas Plumer. Plumer had teams on the road. The other was, kept by George Mattingly. Frederic Shipley kept a tavern in Cumberland previous to the year 1840. It was located on Baltimore street, near the site of the station first established by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company. This house was subsequently conducted by George W. Gump, and after him, in 1857, by David Mahaney. One Kaig, of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, succeeded Mahaney in the control of this house. It was called "The American," and entertained wagoners and the traveling public at large. In 1844 and later, the widow Adams kept a wagon stand in Cumberland, on the site of the present rolling mill. George Elliott was manager for Mrs. Adams. The house was a large brick structure, and known in its day as the 'Mountain City House." Lewis Smith kept "The Blue Springs House" on Mechanics street, and was largely patronized by old wagoners. Frederic Shipley also kept a tavern on Mechanics street, after he left the American. John Kelso, the old wagoner, kept a tavern for a short time on Mechanics street, and was well patronized; and Otho Barcus, another old wagoner, kept the "Pennsylvania House" on Mechanics street in 1843, and for a period of three years thereafter. The road when first laid out, as seen in a previous chapter, passed over Wills Mountain. In 1834 this location was changed for a better grade, up the valleys of Wills creek and Braddock's run. To make this change it was necessary to first obtain the consent of the State of Maryland, which was granted by an act of her Legislature in 1832. The old Plumer tavern stood at the eastern end of the old location, and the old Mattingly tavern at the same end of the new location. George Evans kept a tavern, also, near the eastern end of the original location.
Five miles west of Cumberland; on the new location, a wagon stand was kept by Joseph Everstine. This was a frame house, and stood on the north side of the road. It was well conducted, but owing to its proximity to Cumberland, did not do as large a business as other taverns of the road, more advantageously located.
MILE HOUSE -
now 1025 Natl Hwy in LaVale.
Built in 1830s or 1840s and served as one of the inns and taverns along the National Road kept by Joseph Everstine. The building referred to today as the Five Mile House according to a realtor listing was built in 1850 and appears to be a brick or stone structure from the photo.
It appears that by 1850, Joseph Everstine had already died. His wife and children are listed in the census of that year. Mary is listed with no occupation and $12,000 worth of real estate. Son Jonathan is listed as a farmer. Immediately before the Everstines in a separate dwelling, Joseph Keller from Virginia is listed with his family. He is listed as an Inn Keeper and his oldest son as a Bar Keeper. Mr Keller has no real estate. Given these facts, it is likely that Keller kept the inn owned by the Everstines, while they tended the farm. (Link to schedule page 149a - lines 9-26) The question arises whether the house at 1025 Natl Hwy in LaVale was used as an inn or as a family dwelling.
Following from Cumberland Times:
EVERSTINE 21 Sep 1887 "Aunt Polly" Everstine died yesterday at her son's home on Davidson Street in the 86th year of her age. Her husband, Josephus Everstine died 35 years ago. She lived on the Old Everstine farm, until it was bought by Mr Jacob Humbird, when she then moved to the city to live with Aden. She leaves 4 sons, 2 daughters, and 15 grand children, and was a sister to the late Aden Clary, who is well known here. The funeral is from the home tomorrow with burial in Rose Hill Cemetery.
Allegany County Courthouse
Liber 63-Folio 323 - 29 Nov 1886: Results of Equity Docket #3550 re Daniel Long et al vs. Josephus Everstine et al. Property sold to Jacob HUMBIRD for $9,000. Several tracts known as Everstine Farm on NATIONAL PIKE, 5 miles N of Cumberland. Bounded by David Lawrence Speelman’s fence, lot #3416, tract Resurvey on Pleasant Valley; Three springs that break out in Braddock’s Run; Resurvey on Grove Camp. Conveyed by Evan Gywnn 5 Oct 1795, perhaps to Joseph Carter, 374 acres.
From Wally Ward - email@example.com
a) Jonathan Clary
Everstine, b 1827; d 1860
|Six miles west from Cumberland there was an old tavern known as the "Six Mile House" It belonged to the Bruces, an old and wealthy family of Allegany county, Maryland, and many years ago was destroyed by fire. A new building was erected on the old site, and remains to this day in the occupancy of a nephew of the old tavern keeper, Aden Clary. This house is near the junction of the old and new locations above referred to, and near the stone bridge over Braddock's run. The sixth mile post from Cumberland stands on the north wall of this bridge, firm and unshaken. The bridge is well preserved, and a polished stone thereof bears this inscription "1835-Built by Thomas Fealy, Lieut. Jno. Pickell, U. S. Engineer, H. M, Petitt, Ass't Supt'd."|
|From Cumberland Times; January 1915: CARNELL 09 Jan 1915 George W Carnell died 25 Dec 1914 in Dorrance KS. He was born in Cumberland in 1835, a son of Mr & Mrs Leonard Carnell, who kept a tavern at the 6 mile house on the National Pike during 1835-1840. He served in the Army of the Potomac in the Civil War. He is survived by 5 children, living in the West.|
|Eight miles west from Cumberland Aden Clary kept. His house was a large and commodious brick building on the south side of the road, and is still standing. There was not a more popular house on the road than Aden Clary's.|
|Research by Wally Ward||
ADEN CLARY, son of Daniel Clary,
Rachel Penn b 1809 Frederick County, MD; d 1877 Frostburg, Allegany
m Oct 1832 ISABELLA B. WELSH (res 1870 MD) ch, b MD:
a) Laura Clary, b 1833
Photo by J.K.
from "The National Road" by Robert Bruce
Clarysville Inn, March 1999
Clarysville Inn's Last
|Frostburg is next reached. This
was always a prominent point on the road. It did not derive its name, as
many suppose, from the crisp atmosphere in which it was located, but from
the original owner of the land on which it stands, whose name was Frost.
Frostburg was the first stage station west of Cumberland. The leading
taverns of Frostburg in the palmy days of the road were the " Franklin
House" and the "Highland Hall House." The Franklin House was kept for many
years by Thomas Beall, the father of the Bealls of Uniontown. It
was headquarters of the Good Intent stage line. The Highland Hall House
was conducted at different times by George W. Claybaugh, George Evans,
Samuel Cessna and Thomas Porter. It was the headquarters of the
Stockton line of coaches. During Cessna's time at this house he was the
principal actor in a tragedy which produced considerable commotion in the
vicinity. A negro servant employed by Cessna addressed some insulting
remark to his wife, and immediately upon being informed thereof, Cessna
proceeded to dispatch the negro without ceremony. He was tried in
Cumberland for murder and acquitted, public sentiment very generally
acquiescing in the verdict of the jury. About the year 1850 the Highland
Hall House was purchased by the authorities of the Catholic church,
remodeled, improved and converted to ecclesiastical uses.
About one mile west of Frostburg, and at the foot of Big Savage mountain, is Sand Springs, so called from the gurgling water in the sand at that point. In 1836 the widow Ward kept a wagon stand tavern at Sand Springs. Her house was a favorite resort for old wagoners. On the night of October 3, 1836; snow fell to the depth of a foot at Sand Springs, breaking down the timber all through the surrounding mountains. Mrs. Ward's wagon yard was crowded with teams and wagons that night, and the snow was so deep the next day that the wagoners deemed it inexpedient to turn out, and remained at Mrs. Ward's until the following morning. John Snider was among the wagoners at Mrs. Ward's on the occasion mentioned, and is authority for the occurrence of the October snow storm. The tavern at Sand Springs was subsequently kept by John Welsh, an old stage driver, Hiram Sutton and Jacob Conrod, in the order named. Hiram Sutton was a son-in-law of Jared Clary. He kept the Sand Springs tavern down to the year 1852, when he moved to Parkersburg, West Virginia, and may be living there yet. Philip Spiker, the old blacksmith at Sand Springs, it is said could shoe more horses in a given time than any other blacksmith on the road. He had a rival, however, in A. Brice Devan, now of Dunbar, who, in the palmy days of the road, carried on a shop in Hopwood, and shod horses for old wagoners all night long on many occasions. Devan's backers will not concede that Spiker was a speedier shoer than he.
identity of the "Widow Ward" is Cordelia Rosetta [Clary] [Ward] Welsh.
The "Widow Ward" is mentioned several times in "The Old Pike: A History of
the National Road" by Thomas B. Searight.
Proof of Cordelia's identity is found in the land records of Allegany
County, Lib I Folio 773, where the tract is described as "William's Sleep
Walk," which was purchased by Cordelia Ward from Josiah Frost and wife and
Meshack Frost and wife .
Star and Ralph Rowland further discuss Cordelia in their "Clary Genealogy"
on page 387. "Cordelia Clary, like several of her brothers and sisters,
lived after marriage in Allegany County, Maryland. In 1836, as a widow,
she was operating an inn at Sand Springs, near Frostburg. Later the inn
was in the name of her second husband, John Welsh. At this time, the
National Road was speeding mail service from Baltimore to Wheeling, and
making travel easier and faster for everyone. Many taverns and wagon
stands were operated along this route; Cordelia's place was one. Her
brother Aden Clary and brother-in-law Joseph Everstine were also in this
Cordelia is buried in Porter Cemetery at the foot of her first husband
James Ward. Her tombstone is broken in half and it takes careful study of
her stone to read it correctly. She was born in 1801 in Frederick County
and died 4 Apr 1858. The inn was transferred to her brother, Dr. Jonathan
Clary of Rockingham County, Virginia by trust (Hanson B. Pigman) on 8 May
1846. Jonathan was the guardian of James and Crodelia's daughter Mary
Eleanor Ward. Cordelia's brother Aden, was the proprietor of the
|A short distance west of Sand
Springs, on the side of Big Savage mountain, an old wagon stand was kept
by one Cheney, afterward by Jacob Conrod. It is a stone
house, on the south side of the road. In Cheney’s time at this house,
Henry Clay Rush, who was an old wagoner, says that metalic mugs were used
for drinking purposes, instead of glasses. He further states that the mugs
were clean, and probably used through deference to the pure whisky of that
day. Big Savage mountain is two thousand five hundred and eighty feet
above the Atlantic.
Two miles west from Cheney's, and at the foot of Little Savage mountain, Thomas Beall kept a tavern as early as 1830. William E. Beall, superintendent of the Uniontown rolling mill, was born at this old tavern. Thomas Beall removed from this place to Missouri, but after a short absence, returned to Western Maryland, and took charge of the Franklin House in Frostburg. Thomas Johnson succeeded Thomas Beall in the management of this house. It was a noted place, and Johnson was a noted character. He was a good fiddler and a good dancer. He owned a negro named Dennis, who was also a good dancer, and night after night in the cheerful bar room of the old tavern, Dennis performed the "double shuffle," responsive to lively music furnished by his old master. Johnson was small in stature, weighing but little over a hundred pounds. Although he participated freely in the fun of the old road, he was not unmindful or neglectful of his business. He owned the old tavern-stand mentioned and the lands adjacent, and dying, left a comfortable inheritance to his descendants. Little Savage mountain has an elevation of two thousand four hundred and eighty feet above the Atlantic, being one hundred feet lower than Big Savage.
Three miles further westward, and at the eastern approach to the Shades of Death, John Recknor kept an old wagon stand, well known, and in its day well patronized. Recknor kept this house as early as 1830, and ended his days in it. It was a log and frame structure on the north side of the road, with a. commodious wagon yard attached. The thick branches of the pine trees growing on Shade Hill, hung over this old house, imparting to it a romantic, as well as an attractive perspective. The fame of Mrs. Recknor as a purveyor of hot biscuits was co-extensive with the line of the road. Now,
“The kitchen is cold and the hall is as still,
As the heart of the hostess out there on the hill."
Piney Grove comes next, two miles from Recknor's, so called from the numerous pine trees growing in the locality in the olden time. At an early day Joshua Johnson, a wealthy man of Frederic City, owned fifteen thousand acres of land, embracing Piney Grove and the Shades of Death, which he held for many years for speculative purposes. Portions of this large area, it is said, continue in the possession of Johnson's descendants to this day. The pine trees were cut down many years ago, sawed up and shipped to market. William Frost, of Frostburg, erected the first extensive saw mill in the vicinity. At Piney Grove there was an old tavern, kept at different times by Truman Fairall, Mortimer Cade, Lemuel Cross, John Wrench and David Mahaney. All the stage lines of the road stopped at this old tavern, and wagoners in goodly numbers also congregated there. It was a large frame building on the north side of the road, and on the opposite side large stables and sheds were erected for sheltering horses and vehicles.
West of Piney Grove about one-fourth of a mile, an old wagon stand was kept by a man whose name was Wagoner, and subsequently by Isaac Bell, and later by Mortimer Cade. Cade kept this house in 1840, and died in it. His widow continued to keep it as a tavern for a number of years. and until she became the wife of William Fear, who kept a tavern on Keyser's Ridge. A daughter of Mrs. Cade is living in Uniontown at this time.
Two miles west of Piney Grove the celebrated old Tomlinson tavern at Little Meadows is reached. This is an old stand; as old as the National Road. Here the lines of the National and the old Braddock roads coincide. Jesse Tomlinson owned the land at this point. and kept a tavern on the old Braddock road, before the National Road was made. Upon the opening of the latter he abandoned his old house and erected a new one on the new road, which he conducted as a tavern for many years. After his death the property passed to the hands of Jacob Sides. W. M. F. Magraw, as before stated, married a daughter of Jacob Sides. This place is referred to as the Little Meadows in the official record of Braddock's unfortunate march through the mountains in 1755. The region at and about Mt. Washington, further westward on the line of the road, where the conflict between Washington and the French and Indians occurred, in 1754, is designated by Washington, in his official report of that engagement, as the Great Meadows. Tomlinson's tavern is a large stone house, on the north side of the road. After Tomlinson, it was kept by Thomas Endsley, who was succeeded by Thomas Thistle, Thomas Thistle by James Stoddard, and he, in turn, by Jesse Huddleson, Truman Fairall, Lemuel Cross and David Mahaney, all before the rail road was continued west of Cumberland. It was kept by George Layman after the railroad absorbed the trade. Layman was afterward sheriff of Allegany county, Maryland. In the year 1862, while the property was under the control of Mr. Magraw, the old Tomlinson tavern was remodeled and much improved. The contract for the improvements was undertaken by George W. Wyning, a well known carpenter of Uniontown, who superintended the work in person, and during its progress he and Magraw together, spent many a pleasant hour amid the exhilarating atmosphere of the mountains, in the society of the old pike boys. James K. Polk dined at the Tomlinson house in the spring of 1845, on his way to Washington to be inaugurated President. Huddleson was keeping the house at that time. The occasion brought together a. large concourse of mountain people, who were addressed by the President-elect.
One mile west from Tomlinson's the widow Wooding kept a tavern as early as 1842, and for some time thereafter. Her house was a frame building, on the north side of the road, and was largely patronized by old wagoners. Mrs. Wooding growing old, and wearied by the onerous duties of tavern keeping, gave up the business, and turned her house over to her son-in-law, Peter Yeast, who conducted it for a season, and in turn surrendered it to John Wright.
One mile west of Mrs. Wooding's old stand the traveler reaches the Little Crossings, a name given to the locality from the circumstance that here the road crosses the Castleman river, and the prefix "little" is used because the Castleman is a smaller stream than the Youghiogheny, which is crossed a few miles further westward, and called the Big Crossings. There was no tavern at the Little Crossings previous to the year 1836. Subsequent to that date a tavern was established there by Alexander Carlisle, who entertained the traveling public in a satisfactory manner. His house was a large frame structure, on the south side of the road, subsequently kept by John and Samuel McCurdy, and later, at different times, by David Johnson, William Dawson, Elisha Brown. Jacob Conrod and David Mahaney. Although nearly twenty years elapsed from the building of the road before any old landlord at Little Crossings beckoned the weary traveler to rest and refreshment, nevertheless, thereafter, and until business ceased on the line, that locality presented many and rare attractions, as all old pike boys are ready to verify.
Select this link to experience many exciting tales of life on the road, the political maneuverings relating to the road, how it was paid for and many of the significant men you know from American History.