In the name of God, Amen
I, John Welsh, of ye County of Ann Arundel in ye Province of Maryland, Gent, being sick and weak in body but of sound and perfect Memory (praised be God for ye same) and considering ye fraile state and condition of human nature and ye certainty of death and ye uncertainty of ye time thereof, do make and constitute ordain and appoint this my last will and test in manner and forme fol ye 6 January anno Doin 1683, making void and null all former and other wills by me made.
Impremis: I bequeath my soul to Almighty God my Creator from whom I received same, faithfully trusting to his infinite and unbounded mercies through Jesus Christ my Savior and Redeemer to obtain forgiveness of all my sins great and many fold and a blessed and glorious resurrection amongst the faithful at ye last day and a happy and blessed state of inheritance in the world to come which shall endure to all eternity (???) and my body to ye Earth whence it came: and as for such wordly goods as it hath pleased God of his goodness here to intrust me withall I will and dispose of same in manner and forme following (that is to say):
2nd. I give and bequeath to my two eldest sons Silvester Welsh and John Welsh all ye my tract and plantation called Arnold Gray lying near South River in Ann Arundel Co. aforesaid(???) equally to be divided between them to have and to hold same unto them ye sd Silvester and John Welsh and their heirs forever, from and after such time ye sd. Silvester and John do and shall attain of them ye full age of one and twenty years.
3. I give and bequeath unto my third son Benjamin Welsh my now dwelling place with all ye lands and premises thereunto belonging situate and being on ye Ridge near Herring Creek in ye County of Ann Arundel aforesaid to have and hold same unto ye sd. Benjamin and his heirs forever from and after such time as he shall attain to ye full age of one and twenty years.
4. I give and bequeath unto my four daughters (yt. is to say) Mary Welsh, Elizabeth Welsh, Sarah Welsh, and Damaris Welsh all yt. my tract or pcell land lying and situate and being near Gunpowder River in Baltimore Co. (surveyed and laid out for 1000a more or less) equally to be divided between them ... after ... shall attain ye full age of sixteen years.
5. And whereas my now wife Mary is supposed to be with child ... unto ye same my child ... male or female all ye my tract or parcel of land called Prestons Enlargement lying and being near ye Beaverdam in Herring Creek County Ann Arundel ... after ... he or she ... attain ... one and twenty ...
6. Provided ... if no such child ... be born ... nor if ye sd child do die and not live to attain ye full age of 21 ... then(???)my will is ... Prestons Enlargement be and go to my eldest son Silvester Welsh ... And for my personal estate yt is to say my Goods and Chattels I dispose of them as follows:
7. I give ... unto my loving brother Henry Welsh my silver tobacco box, my cane with a silver head and my broad cloth suit of clothes(???)and after my just debts be truly satisfied and paid and also my legacies herein mentioned ... ye residue ... to be equally divided amongst my wife and children ... my wives share or pt be in lien of her thirds ...
8. And I do hereby make ... my sd loving wife Mary Welsh my whole and sole exect ... discharge my just debts ... bury ...
9. And my will further is yt my sd wife Mary ... have ye tuition and education of all my children before mentioned and to have and receive ye profits and benefits of all and every of their respective estates ... real and personal until they ... respectively attain their ... ages above mencioned toward ye charges of maintaining and bringing of them up without rendering any further account.
And I do further appoint ... my said loving brother Henry Welsh, Edward Dorsey, Gentman (sic. Colonel Edward Dorsey, married the step-sister of John Welsh's wife Mary) and Edward Talbott to be supervisors of this my will ...Lastly I ... make void all former wills.
In witness whereof I have here unto set my hand and seale ye day and year above written.
Signed, sealed and delivered published and declared in Ye presence of :
This will was submitted to the USGenWeb Project by Stella Cotrill
Return to the Wills Index Page