Emmanuel Lutheran is in Bittinger, located with a cornfield to the east and south, the firehall to the west and Bittinger Cemetery to the north. The church began it's existence in 1822 with services in private homes and in the log schoolhouse which is now part of the firehall. The building in the picture was dedicated in 1875. Behind the old church you will see the new one being built mostly by volunteer labour. Nearly everyone in church has had a hand in helping out. To the left of the church in the picture can be seen the education building dedicated in 1992 under the leadership of Pastor Louise Knotts. The old church building has been purchased by someone who hopefully has plans to rebuild the church as a memorial or historic site. This picture, taken July 1999, is a gift from Homer Brenneman, Jr. Homer may be a descendant of the Christian Brenneman who built the old church in 1875 at a cost of $1,300.
Return to Garrett County Homepage