Princess Anne, Maryland
Dorrie Moon, Nanticoke Regent 2010-2012
On May 21, 1932, a group of ladies met at the home of Elba Wright Wheatley in the town of Hurlock in Dorchester County, Maryland, to organize a chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. They adopted the name “Nanticoke” for the chapter, naming it after the river that flowed from Sussex County, Delaware, to the Chesapeake Bay which had the same name as one of the tribes of the Native Americans who inhabited the area. The name appealed to the members in that many of their ancestors had made their homes along the shores of the Nanticoke River. Today, we honor the name of the Native Americans.
There were nineteen
– Bessie Pollitt MacAllen;
By the mid-1960s, no chapter had been
formed in Somerset County (or Worcester, 1966,Gov. Levin Winder). The Maryland State Regent,
Mrs. Wilson King Barnes, wanted a chapter in every county in the
state. Since there was another chapter called Dorset based in
Cambridge in Dorchester County, at Dorothy (Mrs. Edward H.) Wilson’s first meeting as
regent in Snow Hill at the home of her aunt Frances H. (Mrs. Harvey
C.) Pusey, on 24 September 1966, the Nanticoke Chapter unanimously
voted to move its base to Princess Anne, thus establishing the
Nanticoke Chapter’s home in Somerset County.
Among those Daughters
were: Madora Turpin (Mrs. Arzah T.) Dashiell, Ruth Porter (Mrs.
William) Hall, Mrs. Omar Jones, Anna Jones Wilson (Mrs. Lionel)
Howland, Mrs. Vivian Harper, Lucy Lang (Mrs. George) Sparrow and her
daughter Genevieve (Mrs. Milton) Elliott. In those days, the
Nanticoke members were still meeting in homes, so the county
designation was not necessarily viewed as a significant change.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters. This website designed and maintained by Nanticoke Chapter VIS Chair.
Last updated 23 August 2010