Records of the White Marsh Church
Prince George's County, Maryland
This church is known today as Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Bowie, MD
Four books of important church records have been combined into a 402 page volume with individual indexes provided for the books. Original records have been transcribed from Latin. While dates in the four books run from 1819 to 1904, the dates are not continuous. Gaps in the records occurred due to fires, loss, etc. The Society is indebted to the late Msgr. John F. Hogan and Msgr. Charles J. Parry, former and current pastors of Sacred Heart for their encouragement and support of this project.
|Book One: Diaries of Father Dietz and Father Wiget, 1853-1892, pages 1-34|
|Book Two: Diary of Father Gardiner, 1897-1904, pages 35-104; index to both Diaries, pages 105-112
|Book Three: Baptismal Records 1853-1872; Confirmation
Records Sep 16, 1860;
Partial Index from original book. Pages 1-97 & index, pages 99-134
|Book Four: Catalogue of Members 1819; Baptisms
1818-1857 (incomplete); Burials 1819-1822 & 1874-1897; Communions
Pages 1-94 & index pages 95-122
|The Early Records of the White Marsh Church present the trials and tribulations
of establishing a church, and the clergy associated with same. Most importantly
it provides a fascinating history of the people who populated the area,
every day landowners, large farm and plantation owners, their families
and those of their slaves.
These families were white, black, free and slave. The book is
full of their names, dates, relationships both familial and property,
and provides birth, marriage and death information before registration
of vital statistics became mandatory in 1898. This book is undoubtedly
the most important work the Society has published that contributes
to African American ancestral research.
Geographically these records primarily cover portions of Prince
George’s and Anne Arundel counties but also contain references
to Baltimore, Charles and St. Mary’s Counties and Washington,
As for location, White Marsh was described as being 14 miles from
Annapolis, 33 miles from Baltimore, southwest of Upper Marlboro
and 8 miles south of Queen Anne. In its time, the White Marsh Plantation,
lying in both Anne Arundel and Prince George’s
Counties, consisted of 4,000 acres, with two farms. In 1832 there
were 104 slaves on the White Marsh Plantation.
|The Prince George’s County Genealogical Society is pleased to announce its newest publication. The book is available at the Society’s Library, at meetings and by mail. Contact: PGCGS, POB 819, Bowie, MD 20718-0819; email@example.com, or 301-262-2063.