"Where Two Rivers Meet"
ABOUT ANSON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Anson Historical Society was incorporated in 2000 as a 501(c)3 organization.
ABOUT ANSON/NORTH ANSON
Originally inhabited by the Abenaki Indians, the Town of Anson was settled by white settlers in the 1770s while still a part of Massachussetts. It was incorporated on March 1, 1798. Many Revolutionary veterans and former troops of Benedict Arnold's Expedition settled in the area bringing their families with them. They first settled along the Kennebec and Carrabassett Rivers then worked their way inland clearing land for farms and businesses.
Anson is composed of two villages, Anson and North Anson. From 1845 to 1855 they were legally separate towns, but before and after they are one entity.
|Boston Post Cane Holder|