The First Parish Church was founded in 1717, on of Maine's oldest congregations. The cemetery was next to the site of the original Meeting House on upper Maine Street.
Dr. Ashby, former minister of the First Parish Church, writes:
The First Parish Memorial Garden was installed in a corner of the old cemetery in the year 2000. A granite monument contains the names, birth and death dates of those whose ashes are interred there.
|This record of all those known to have been buried in First Parish Cemetery contains some 200 souls, with dates ranging from 1736 to 1905.
The research was done by Harold and Louise Harding in 1998. They read all the decipherable stones and compared their transcriptions with all materials concerning the cemetery from First Parish Church and the Pejepscot Historical Society, finally creating this compilation. Many of the stones are missing or illegible and the records do not go back to the earliest burials, so this is not a complete record of those interred in First Parish Cemetery. In addition, it is possible that when this First Parish became full and families began using Pine Grove Cemetery, some bodies were removed to their family's plot in Pine Grove.
Memorial Garden Transcriptions
We welcome submissions of photos, obituaries or biographical information.