Fish Hill Cemetery
Brunswick, Maine

(Also known as Fish House Hill Cemetery)

Wheelers' History of Brunswick*, pages 338-40*:

"Another graveyard, probably of still earlier date [earlier than 1719], though nothing whatever is known in regard to it, was situated on what is now a portion of Woodlawn Street, on the estate of Miss Narcissa Stone. On the thirty-first of May, 1856, two skeletons were exhumed by the workmen engaged in grading the street. It is not unreasonable to suppose that these were the remains of some of Purchase's fishermen, and if so, they were undoubtedly the first white people buried in this village, though perhaps not the first in town."

No headstones have been found.



Facebook Blog Volunteer Contact Home

Back to Cemeteries of Brunswick, Maine
*The History of Brunswick, Topsham, and Harpswell: including the Ancient Territory Known as Pejepscot, Wheeler, George Augustus, M.D. and Henry Warren Wheeler. Brunswick, A Mudge & Sons, Printers, 1878 (available on the Curtis Library website)