Carratunk Plantation - an early history
SOURCE: The Kennebec Valley. S.H. Whitney 1887 Auguta: Sprague, Burleigh & Flynt, Printers to the State. 1887 CHAPTER VI.
First settler in the town was Paul Cates, who settled here about 1810.
This retains the original name of the whole region between Solon and Moose Head Lake. The plantation was organized in 1840.
For more early history of the entire Kennebec region, see The Kennebec Valley.