Search billions of records on

Tenth Regiment Infantry

This regiment was organized at Cape Elizabeth, Me, Oct. 4th, 1861, to serve two and three years. Companies D., C, E., F, G, H., I and K were mustard into the United States service Oct. 4th, 1861, to serve two years from May 3d, 1861, and companies A and D to serve three years from Oct. 4th, 1861.

The regiment left Portland on the 6th and arrived at Baltimore Md., on the 9th, where they remained encamped at "Patterson Park" until the 4th of Nov. On that day they moved to the Relay House, Md., and guarded the Washington branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad until the 27th of Feb., 1862.

Subsequently they guarded and protected the branch of the same road leading to Harpers Ferry, and as far as Martinsburg, Va.

On the 24th of May, the entire regiment was concentrated at Winchester, Va., and on the following day joined in the retreat of General Banks' forces to Williamsport, Md. Their casualties during the retreat were as follows: 3 killed, 5 wounded, and 82 taken prisoners.

While at Williamsport, the regiment was assigned to the 1st Brigade, 1st Division of Banks' corps.

On May 28th, they made a reconnaissance towards Martinsburg, returning to Williamsport on the same day. On the 31st, they advanced towards Winchester, thence towards Front Royal, which place they occupied on the 22d of June.

They participated in the reconnaissance to Luray Court House, Virginia, on the 29th of June, returning to Front Royal on the 30th, and there remained until the 6th of July. On that day they proceeded towards Culpepper Court House, and on the 9th of August, participated in the battle of Cedar Mountain, Va., in which their casualties were as follows: officers killed, 3; wounded, 3; enlisted men killed, 27; wounded, 136, and 1 officer and 3 enlisted men taken prisoners.

After the battle of Cedar Mountain, they returned to Culpepper, and on the 19th of August, retreated to Rappahannock Station, thence towards Washington, participating in all the movements of Gen. Pope's forces, though not actively engaged in any of the battles which took place during the retreat, General Banks' Corps being held in reserve.

On the 17th of Sept., they participated in the battle of Antietam, losing 20 killed and 48 wounded.

On the 19th of Sept., they moved to Maryland Heights, opposite Harpers Ferry, thence on the 3d of Oct., to Berlin, Md., where they remained doing picket and fatigue duty.

On the 10th of Dec., with their Corps (the 12th), they proceeded to Fairfax Station, thence, on the 22d of Jan., 1863, to Stafford Court House, Va., where they remained encamped until the 28th of April, when, their two years term of service having expired, they were ordered to Maine, and mustered out at Portland on the 7th and 8th of May, by Capt. Thomas C. J. Bailey, 17th U. .S. Infantry. The three years men were detached from the regiment on the 26th of April, organized into a Battalion of three companies, and assigned to duty as Head Quarters Guards, 12th Army Corps.