Search billions of records on

Eleventh Regiment Infantry

This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., Nov. 12th, 1861, to serve three years, and left on the following day for Washington, D. C., where it arrived on the 16th, and remained encamped until March 28th, 1862. On that day, with their division, (Casey's) they proceeded to Alexandria, thence to Newport News, Va., where they remained until April 6th.
On the 17th they proceeded to Yorktown, and on the 29th had a sharp engagement with the enemy.
On the 5th of May they bore a distinguished part in the engagement which took place at Williamsburg.
They afterwards proceeded towards the Chickahominy, which they crossed at Bottom Bridge on the 23d, ant took a prominent part in the battle of Seven Pines on the 31st. After the battle of Seven Pines, they occupied the rifle pits of the rear defenses until June 4th, when they moved to the "Burnt Chimneys," and from thence to Bottom Bridge.
On the 30th, they participated in the battle of White Oak Swamp, after which they proceeded towards Harrison's Landing, where they remained until August 16th, when they left for Yorktown, at which place they remained until the 26th of December. On that day, the regiment, with Naglee's Brigade, embarked for North Carolina, and landed at Morehead City on the 1st day of January, 1863.
On the 20th of Jan. they again embarked on transports and started for Port Royal, where they landed on the 10th of Feb.
On the 4th of April they started for Charleston, and were present at the unsuccessful attack on that city by the ironclads, after which they returned to Beaufort, S. C., and there remained until June 4th, when they proceeded to Fernandina, Fla.
On the 6th of Oct. they were ordered to Morris Island, S. C., where they arrived on the 7th, and went immediately to the front.
On the 11th, they were assigned to the 1st Brigade as artillerists, and for a long period they were engaged day and night in shelling Sumter and the rebel works on Sullivan and James' Islands.
In April, 1864, they were assigned to the 3d Brigade, 1st Division. 10th Corps, and joined Gen. Butler's command at Gloucester Point, Va.
On the 5th of May they landed at Bermuda Hundred and participated in the engagement at Port Walthall Junction on the 7th. They afterwards participated in the expedition towards Petersburg, and in the battle fought at Chester Station on the 10th. They also participated in the assault on the enemy's lines around Richmond on the 12th, 13th and 14th; also on the 16th, losing in the several engagements, 24 men killed and wounded.
On the 17th they were again engaged with the enemy, and lost 26 men killed and wounded.
On June 2d they assisted in repulsing the enemy's attack on the fortifications at Bermuda Hundred, losing 41 men killed and wounded; and on the 16th, participated in the movement resulting in the capture of the Howlett House Battery and entire line of rebel works in front of Bermuda Hundred. They also assisted in repulsing the enemy's attack on the 17th and 18th.
Subsequently they left the Bermuda Hundred lines and proceeded to Deep Bottom, where they remained until August, having meanwhile frequent skirmishes with the enemy, and participated in the capture of the rebel earthworks on the New Market road, where they lost 32 men killed and wounded.
On the 14th of August they crossed to the north bank of the James river at Deep Bottom, and joined the 10th Corps in its seven days campaign, participating in three battles. They charged once at Deep Bottom, twice at Deep Run, and repulsed three charges of the enemy on the 16th, and one on the 18th; their loss in killed and wounded in these several engagements, was 10 commissioned officers and 144 enlisted men.
On the 26th they moved to Petersburg, where they remained and took their share in the siege operations at that place until the 28th of September, when they left for Deep Bottom, and on the following day assisted in the capture of the heights known as "Spring Hill."
Subsequently they participated in the movement towards Richmond, and on the 7th of October, in the engagement on the New Market Road, in which they bore a prominent part.
On the 13th they were heavily engaged in a battle on the Darbytown road, where they suffered a loss of 13 killed and wounded.
They participated in the movement of Oct. 27th, towards Richmond, and on the 29th in the recapture of the works across the Johnson plantation on the Darbytown road.
On the 2d of November, one hundred of the regiment left the field for Maine, their three years' term of service having expired; and on the next day the remainder of the regiment left for New York, having been one of the number selected to accompany Gen. Butler to assist in keeping the peace of the city at the Presidential election, after which they returned to the front.
The total number of casualties in the regiment for the year 1864 was 363, viz: 74 killed, 274 wounded, 6 missing, and 9 taken prisoners. During the year they received 549 recruits; also a full company of volunteers, the 8th of Unassigned Infantry, organized at Augusta, Me., Dec. 17th, 1864, to serve one year, the members of which were assigned and transferred to Companies I and K. These accessions filling up the ranks of the regiment to the required number, it preserved its organization and remained in service.
During the first three months of 1865, the regiment was stationed near the New Market Road, about ten miles from Richmond, and formed a part of the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 24th Army Corps.
On the 27th of March, with their division, they moved across the James and Appomattox Rivers and to the vicinity of Hatcher's Run, where on the 31st they engaged the enemy, and remained exposed to their fire, skirmishing almost continually, until the 2d of April, losing meanwhile 3 enlisted men killed, 2 officers and several enlisted men wounded, and 1 officer and 15 enlisted men taken prisoners.
On the 2d of April, they participated in the assault and capture of Forts Gregg and Baldwin, losing during the day, 25 enlisted men killed and wounded, and on the 3d moved with the army in pursuit of Lee's forces.
On the 9th they engaged the enemy at "Clover Hill," losing 6 enlisted men killed, 2 officers and 29 enlisted men wounded.
From the 25th of April to the 24th of Nov., they were encamped near Richmond, Va., and on duty in that city, the greater part of the time.
On the 26th of Nov., they moved to Fredericksburg, and remained, doing patrol and other duties, until the middle of Jan., 1866, when they were ordered to City Point, Va., for the purpose of being mustered out.
On the 2d of Feb., they were mustered out of the U. S. service by Capt. J. Remington, Assistant Commissary of Musters, Department of Virginia, in accordance with orders from the War Department, and left on the 3d for Augusta, Maine, where the men were paid and finally discharged.