This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., Dec. 13th,
1861, to serve three years, and left for Boston, Mass., Feb. 18th, 1862,
where it embarked on board transports on the 20th and 21st for Fortress
Monroe, Va. From thence on the 23d they sailed for Ship Island, Miss.,
where they arrived on the 2d of March, and there remained until July 5th,
on which day detachments from the regiment were sent to garrison the several
forts constituting the Defenses of New Orleans, and were engaged in such
duties until Sept. 1st, 1863, when the entire regiment was ordered to New
Orleans to perform provost duty.
On the 24th of October, they embarked at Carrollton, La., for Texas, and landed at the island of Brazos de Santiago, near the mouth of the Rio Grande, on the morning of the 2d.
They participated in the capture of Point Isabel on the 6th, and on the 15th formed a part of the forces which captured Mustang Island.
On the 27th of November, they participated in the capture of Fort Esperanza, commanding Pass Caballo, the entrance to Matagorda Bay, where they remained encamped until Feb. 18th, 1864, when they were ordered back to Louisiana to rejoin the 19th Army Corps at Franklin, and take part in the Red River campaign then about commencing. On the 15th of March, they proceeded towards Natchitoches, where they joined Gen. Bank's forces on the 2d of April, and on the 6th moved towards Shreveport. Reaching Pleasant Hill on the 8th, they participated in the engagement at that place on the same day, and on the next day in the charge resulting in the complete repulse of the enemy. They returned to Alexandria, La., on the 25th of April, and on to Morganzia Bend, La., on the 22d of May, after a fatiguing march, during which lines of battle had to be repeatedly formed to repel attacks. They remained at Morganzia until the last of July, when they were ordered north, and arrived at Fortress Monroe on the 12th, then proceeded to Washington, D. C., where they arrived the next day, and encamped at Tennallytown, subsequently marching to Harper's Ferry, Va. On the 3d day of August, the re-enlisted men of the regiment proceeded to Maine on furlough, and there remained until the 27th of September, when they departed for the front, reaching Harper's Ferry on the 1st of October. Communication with the front being then impossible, they were ordered to Martinsburg, Va., (the base of supplies for Sheridan's whole army,) where they remained engaged in picket and patrol duty until the expiration of their original term of service, when the original members who had not re-enlisted returned to Maine, arriving at Augusta Dec. 30th, 1864, and were mustered out of the U. S. service at that place on the 6th of January, 1865, by Major J. W. T. Gardiner, U. S. A. Two hundred and eighty-two re-enlisted men and 82 recruits whose term of service had not expired, were, before the departure of the regiment from the field, organized into a battalion, which was soon afterwards transferred to and consolidated with the 30th Regiment of Infantry, Maine Volunteers.