Search billions of records on

Fifteenth Regiment Infantry

This regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., from the 6th to the 31st of December, 1861, to serve three years. They left for Portland Feb. 27th, 1862, where, after a delay of several days, they embarked on board the ship Great Republic, which conveyed them to Ship Island, Miss.

From the 19th of May to the 8th of September they were encamped at Carrollton, La., and on the 11th landed at Pensacola, Fla., where they remained until the 21st of June, 1863, when they left for New Orleans, arriving the next day, and immediately proceeded on a reconnaissance to Thibodeaux, during which they captured a large number of the enemy.

They returned to New Orleans on the 25th, and on the 23d of October joined Gen. Banks’ expedition to Texas, landing on the island of Brazos Santiago on the 2d of November.

On the 15th they proceeded towards Mustang Island, where they landed on the 16th, and on the following day formed in line of battle to storm the enemy’s works. So completely surprised were the rebels at the appearance of the force before their works, that they immediately surrendered.

Crossing Aransas Pass to St. Joseph Island on the morning of the 22d, and from thence to Matagorda Island, they held the advance in the expedition against Fort Esperanza, in Matagorda Bay, and rendered conspicuous service in the capture of that stronghold.

While at Matagorda Peninsula, where they remained from January 17th, 1864, to February 28th, three fourths of the original members of the regiment re-enlisted for an additional term of three years.

On the 28th of February, they left for Algiers, La., arriving on March 3d, from thence on the 6th proceeded to Franklin, La., where they arrived on the 8th, and were assigned to the 2d Brig., 1st Div., 19th Army Corps.

On the 15th of March, in common with Gen. Banks’ forces, they took the line of march, and on the 8th of April participated in the battle of Pleasant Hill.

Early on the morning of the 10th, they commenced falling back to the Mississippi River, participating in the battles of Cane River Crossing, April 23d, and Mansura Plains, May 16th, in both of these battles they were subjected to a heavy artillery fire, meeting, however, with no casualties, and arriving at Morganzia on the 20th of May.

During the month of June they were ordered to New Orleans, took transports July 5th for Fortress Monroe, Va., where after arrival six companies were ordered to Bermuda Hundred , the remaining companies participating in the campaign up the valley, in pursuit of Early’s raiders.

The command was reunited at Monocacy Junction, Md., Aug. 4th.

The regiment having almost unanimously re-enlisted as veterans on the 25th of January, 1864, without receiving its veteran furlough at the time, received a furlough of thirty-five days, August 10th, proceeded to Augusta, Me., and returned to the field September 27th.

Early in October the regiment left Harper’s Ferry, Va., and proceeded to Martinsburg, where they remained until the 7th of January, 1865.

The original members of the regiment, who had not re-enlisted and whose term of service had expired, were mustered out of the U. S. service Jan. 18th, 1865, by Capt. James F. Fitts, Commissary of Musters, 10th Army Corps, but the large number of re-enlisted men and recruits whose term of service had not expired, together with a number of volunteers, drafted men and substitutes forwarded from Camp Berry, Portland, Me., were sufficient to reorganize the regiment.

On the 19th of April, they were ordered to Washington, D. C., and encamped at Tennallytown until the 31st of May, when they embarked for Savannah, Ga., arriving on the 4th of June.

On the 13th of June, they again embarked on board transports, and proceeded to Georgetown, S. C., where the regiment was assigned to the third separate brigade, Department of South Carolina.

They remained in that department engaged in guard and patrol duty until the 5th of July, 1866, when they were mustered out of the U. S. service at Charleston, S. C., by Major Leslie Smith, Commissary of Musters, Department of the Carolinas, in accordance with telegraphic instructions from the War Department dated May 18th, 1866, after which they proceeded to New York, where the men were paid and finally discharged.