Search billions of records on

Seventeenth Regiment Infantry

This Regiment was organized at Portland, Me., in August, 1862, to serve three years, and left August 21st for Washington, D. C., where they occupied the line of forts on the east side of the Anacosta and north side of the Potomac Rivers, until the 7th of October, when they crossed into Virginia and joined Gen. Berry's Brigade of Birney's Division.
They participated in the battle of Fredericksburg on the 13th of December, losing 2 men killed and 19 wounded.
On the 15th they recrossed the Rappahannock, and remained encamped at Falmouth, Va., until the 1st of May, 1863, when they took part in the Chancellorsville campaign, engaged the enemy on the 2d and 3d, and recrossed the river on the 6th. Their casualities in the campaign were 1 commissioned officer and 3 enlisted men killed, 5 commissioned officers and 59 enlisted men wounded, and 45 taken taken prisoners.
On the 2d of July they arrived at Gettysburg, and were engaged with the enemy on that and the following day, losing in the engagement 1 officer and 17 enlisted men killed, 7 officers and 105 enlisted men wounded, and 2 taken prisoners.
On the 27th of November they took a prominent part in the battle of "Orange Grove," in which their loss was 1 officer killed and 2 wounded, 6 enlisted men killed, 42 wounded and 1 missing.
On the first day of December they returned to Brandy Station, and there remained encamped until the 25th of March, 1864, when they were assigned to the 2d Brigade, 3d Division of the 2d Army Corps.
On the 3d day of May they advanced towards the Rapidan, which they crossed on the 4th, and participated in the battle of the Wilderness on the 5th and 6th. Their casualities during the two days were 24 men killed, 147 wounded, and 12 missing.
On the 12th they participated in the charge of the 2d Corps upon the enemy's lines, losing 3 men killed, 40 wounded and 10 missing. From this time until the 21st, the regiment, although under fire a large portion of the time, did not suffer any loss.
On the 23d they joined the 5th Corps near the North Anna River, and participated in a charge which resulted in driving the enemy across the river and gaining possession of the bridge, losing during the day 4 m3n killed and 17 wounded.
On the 2d of June they marched to Cold Harbor, and on the 3d and 4th were under fire in the reserve, several men being wounded by shells.
On the 5th, 129 men were transferred to this regiment from the 3d Me. Vols.
They remained in the works near Barker's Mills until June 12th, when they moved towards Petersburg, crossing the Chickahominy on the 13th and the James on the 14th.
On the 16th they made two unsuccessful attempts to capture the enemy's works, in which their loss was 7 killed, 48 wounded and 5 missing; and on the 18th, in an assault upon the enemy's lines, they lost 6 man killed and 18 wounded.
From this time until July 25th they were engaged in erecting fortifications and doint picket duty.
On the 26th they joined in the expedition across the Appomattox and James Rivers to Strawberry Plains, returning on the 28th.
Subsequently they encamped near Fort Sedgwick, where they remained until Feb. 5th, 1865, in the meanwhile taking part in the raid on the Wheldon Railroad, under Gen. Warren.
On the 5th of February they moved to Hatcher's Run, and participated in all the movements and engagements of the 2d Corps in that vicinity until the 29th of March, when they recrossed the Hatcher's Run.
Early on the morning of the 30th they advanced upon the enemy in line of battle, and secured a position by throwing up earthworks. At night they moved to the left and took position near the Boydton Road.
On the 1st of May they left Burksville for Washington, D. C., arriving in thet city on the 15th.
On the 4th of June the regiment was mustered out of the U. S. service at Bailey's Cross Roads by Capt. Charles H. Hayes, A. C. M., under the provisions of War Department General Order No. 94, series of 1865, and in pursuance of General Order No. 140, Head Quarters Army of the Potomac, 1865. On the day of muster-out they left for Maine, and arrived at Portland on the 8th, where the men were paid and finally discharged on the 10th.
The officers and wnlisted men whose term of service did not expire prior to October 1st, 1865, were transferred to the 1st Regt. Me. Heavy Artillery.