Search billions of records on

Twenty-Eighth Regiment Infantry

This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., Oct. 18th, 1862, to serve nine months, and left on the 26th with orders for Washington, D. C., stopped at New York, and then were ordered to Fort Schuyler to report for duty to Maj. Gen. Banks. They garrisoned Fort Schuyler until the 26th of November, when they marched to East New York, and there went into camp.

On the 17th of January, 1863, they embarked for Fortress Monroe, and from thence on the 22d for New Orleans, arriving in that city on the 29th.

On the 31st disembarked at Chalmette, seven miles below the city, and encamped on Jackson's old battle ground.

On the 15th of February they were ordered to Pensacola, Fla., and disembarked at Warrenton Navy Yard on the 17th. They remained at Pensacola until its evacuation, March 22d, and then returned to Warrenton Navy Yard.

On the 24th they embarked for New Orleans, where immediately upon their arrival they were ordered for duty at Donaldsonville, Bayou La Fourche and Plaquemine.

On the 17th of May, six companies were ordered to Port Hudson, and there were assigned to Gen. Nickerson's Brigade of Dwight's Division, the others remaining at New Orleans and at Fort Butler, Donaldsonville, La.

That portion of the regiment at Fort Hudson was employed for two weeks, day and night, in building batteries and doing picket duty. They participated in the advance on the 14th of June, but suffered no loss.

On the 22d they were ordered to assault a bastion of the rebel works, advanced to within a short distance of the enemy's fortifications, but their support not coming up, retired in good order with a loss of 3 killed and 9 wounded.

On the 28th of June that portion of the regiment garrisoning Fort Butler, Donaldsonville, La., was assailed by an overwhelming force of the enemy, and repulsed them at every point with heavy loss.

On the 4th of July the six companies at Port Hudson were ordered to march to Springfield Landing and there embark to reinforce Fort Butler, then besieged by the enemy, who had succeeded in blockading the river. They arrived July 5th; and on the evening of that day occurred the fiendish murder of Major Bullen of this regiment, then commanding at Fort Butler, by private Francis Scott, 1st Louisiana Volunteers. Coming as it did immediately aftyer the gallant defence of the fort by Major Bullen and his command, it seemed the more atrocious.

On the 10th of July the entire regiment proceeded to Baton Rouge, and there remained until the 6th of August, when they started for Maine, passing up the Mississippi by boat to Cairo, then by rail to Augusta, arriving on the 18th.

On the 31st of August the regiment was mustered out of the U. S. service at Augusta, by Lieut. F. E. Crossman, 17th U. S. Infantry, and the men paid and finally discharged the same day.