Search billions of records on

Thirtieth Regiment Infantry

This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., from Dec. 12th, 1863, to Jan. 8th, 1864, to serve three years, and on the 7th of February left for Portland, Me., where it embarked on board steamer Merrimac for New Orleans, La., arriving in that city on the 16th.

On the 18th they moved by railroad from Algiers to Brashear City, and thence by steamship up Bayou Teche to Franklin, where they were assigned to the 3d Brigade, 1st Diuvision, 19th Army Corps.

From Feb. 19th to March 14th, inclusive, they remained encamped at Franklin, and on the 15th entered upon the Red River campaign.

On the 8th of April they took an honorable part in the battle of Sabine Cross Roads, and on the 9th in that of Pleasant Hill, heir loss in both engagements was 11 killed, 66 wounded and 71 missing.

They afterwards retreated towards Grand Ecore, whice place they reached on the 11th.

On the 21st of April they resumed the retreat, and on the 23d took a most prominent part in the engagement at Cane River Crossing, from which position, considered almost impregnable, they drove the enemy. Their casualities in this engagement were as follows: 2 officers and 10 enlisted men killed, 2 officers and 67 enlisted men wounded, and 7 enlisted men missing.

On the 25th of April they reached Alexandria, La., and on the 13th of May continued the retreat towards the Mississippi River, which they reached on the 22d.

They remained encamped at Morganzia Bend until the 2d of July, when they embarked for New Orleans, thence on the 11th for Virginia.

On the 18th they reached Fortress Monroe, and were immediately sent to Deep Bottom, where they were employed on pickett duty and in raising temporary earthworks.

From Deep Bottom they were transported to Washington. whence they marched to Harper's Ferry, Va.

During the latter part of August and early in September, they participated in the numerous movements of the Army of the Shenondoah.

In September their brigade was detached from its division, and so continued until Oct. 26th. Although in this interval the regiment was engaged in arduous and responsible duties, it failed to share the glory of Gen. Sheridan's battles and victories in September and October.

On the 26th of October they rejoined their division at Cedar Creek, Va., thence on the 9th of November moved to a position between Kearnstown and Newton, and on the 30th of December went into camp at Stevenson's Depot, four miles north of Winchester.

Soon after the 1st of January, 1865, they moved and occupied Winchester, Va., where on the 8th of January they were joined by three companies formed of the re-enlisted men and recruits of the 13th Me., Vols., and which had been assigned to this regiment by special order, issued Nov. 18th, 1864. The consolidation was completed in the month of January, under the immediate orders of Gen. Sheridan, the 30th being formed in seven companies, and retaining the field and staff officers without change. The men of the 13th Me., were organized into a battalionm of three companies, commanded by officers of their own regiment. The two battalions were then united, and the consolidation effected by the muster out of five commissioned officers of the 30th and a few non commissioned of both regiments. The companies of the 13th were lettered B, H and K in the new organization.

They remained at Winchester until the 10th of April, when they proceeded towards Washington, reached that city on the 21st, and on the 26th encamped in the vicinity of Fort Meigs, where they remained until the 2d of June.

In the meantime they formed a part of the line of sentinals stationed around Washington until capture of the assassins of President Lincoln, and subsequently did guard duty at the Washington Arsenal, where the trial of the conspirators was being held.

On the 23d of May they took part in the grand review of the Army of the Potomac, and on the 2d of June were transferred from the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Corps, to theigade, same Division, with which they left on the 30th for Savannah, Ga., arriving in that city on the 7th of July.

They remained on duty at Savannah until the 20th of August, when the regiment was mustered out of the U. S. service by Capt. George E. Moulton, A. C. M., District of Savannah, and on which day they left for Maine, arriving on the 24th at Portland, where the men were paid, and finally discharged on the 29th.