Thirty-Second Regiment Infantry
This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., from March 3d, to May 6th, 1864, to serve three years.
Owing to the urgent demand for troops in the field, six companies left on the 20th of April for Washington, D. C., where they arrived on the 22d; thence proceeded to Alexandria, Va., and were assigned to the 2d Brigade, 2d Division, 9th Army Corps.
On the 27th they marched to Bristow Station, Va.,. And there encamped until May 5th, when they proceeded to the Rappahannock river.
On the 6th, they arrived at the Wilderness, where they remained until the 8th, when the march was continued towards Spottsylvania Court House, where they arrived on the 11th, and on the following day commenced the battle of Spottsylvania, rendering most effective service throughout the whole action. They held a very exposed part of the line, and charged upon the enemy several times, with heavy loss of both men and officers.
On the 25th they crossed the North Anna River, under the brisk cannonading of the enemy, and threw up three lines of works.
On the 26th they were joined by the four companies whose organizations were not completed at the time of their departure for the field.
They remained at the North Anna until the 26th of May, when they recrossed the river, reached the Pamunky River on the 28th, and on the 30th encamped at Newcastle.
On the 3d of June they were hotly engaged with the enemy at Cold Harbor, and lost heavily in officers and men.
They remained at Gaines’ Farm, twelve miles from Richmond, until the 12th, when they proceeded towards Petersburg, where, upon their arrival on the 17th, they charged upon and captured a line of the enemy’s works in front of that city.
On the 19th they advanced two or three miles and erected fortifications, digging the earth with bayonets and throwing it up with dippers and hands, having no accessible intrenching tools.
They remained in that position until July 30th, when the rebel fort in front was blown up, and they took a most active part in the charge which followed the explosion.
Their loss in that engagement was 11 officers and about 100 enlisted men killed, wounded and prisoners.
On the 19th of August they moved with their division six miles to the left, and supported the 5th Corps during the capture of the Weldon Railroad, but were not actively engaged.
On the 30th of September they were engaged with the enemy near Pegram House. Being far in advance of any other regiment, and not therefore sufficiently supported, were repulsed with fearful loss, leaving many killed in the field.
On the 27th of October they moved to the left, in order to turn the enemy’s right, but finding they in force, returned to the Pegram House on the following day, and there remained until the 30th of November.
They afterwards encamped near Fort Hayes, where they remained until Dec. 12th, when the regiment was transferred to and consolidated with the 31st Maine Volunteers, under orders from the War Department.
Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Maine
for the year ending December 31, 1866, pp. 166-167.