Search billions of records on

Third Maine Regiment Infantry

this regiment and was organized at Augusta, Me., June fourth, 1861, to serve three years, and left on the 5th for Washington, D. C., arriving in that city on the 7th.

On the 14th of July they left Washington and participated in the battle of Bull Run on the 21st, in which engagement their loss was 8 killed, 29 wounded, and 12 taken prisoners.

They returned to Washington on the 23rd, took position near Fort Ellsworth, and were assigned to Sedgwick's Brigade.

On the 27th and 28th of August, a portion of the regiment had a skirmish with the enemy at Bailey’s Cross Roads, but met with no loss.

On the 27th of Sept. the regiment moved to the Fowle's estate on in the old Fairfax Road, and there remained until March 17th, 1862, when they marched to Yorktown, and bore an honorable part in the siege of that place, and were among the first to follow in pursuit of the enemy after their evacuation.

They also took a prominent part in the battle of Williamsburg on the 5th of May; and at the battle of Seven Pines on the 31st, made a successful charge on the enemy's lines, losing nearly one-third of their number present in the engagement.

They also participated in the battle of White Oak Swamp on the 25th of June, and at Charles City Crossroads on the 30th.

They were present at the battle of Malvern Hill, where they were exposed to a severe fire from the enemy's batteries, and afterwards retreated to Harrison's Landing.

On the 29th of August, they arrived at Bull Run, and took a prominent part in the engagement on that day and the next, and fell back with the rest of the forces to Centerville.

On the next day, while on the march to Fairfax, the regiment was engaged in the battle of Chantilly, losing 4 men killed, 38 wounded, and 8 missing.

They continued their retreat towards Alexandria, arriving at that place on the second of June, and remaining near Fort Bernard until the 15th, when they crossed to Maryland and guarded the several fords of the upper Potomac. While thus engaged, they had a brisk engagement with Stuart's cavalry at the mouth of the Monocacy.

They arrived at Falmouth, Virginia, on the 22nd of November.

They participated in the battle of Fredericksburg on the 13th of December, their loss being 3 killed, 25 wounded, and 4 missing.

After the battle they recrossed the Rappahannock River, and encamped near Falmouth, where they remained until the 4th of March, 1863.

On the 28th of April, the regiment crossed the Rappahannock, and participated in the engagements of the Wilderness and Chancellorsville on May 2d and 3d; in these engagements they lost in killed, wounded and missing, 61 officers and men.

On the 11th of June and they joined in the campaign which resulted in the battle of Gettysburg, at which place they engaged the enemy on the morning of July 2d, a long distance in advance of the line, losing 48 men killed, wounded and missing; during of the remainder of the day the regiment held an advanced position in the Peach Orchard, where, being attacked by an overwhelming forced of the enemy, they lost in killed, wounded and prisoners, 66 officers and men. They afterwards participated in the pursuit of the retreating enemy and engaged and routed them at Wapping Heights.

On the 31st of July in the regiment arrived at Sulfur Springs and there remained encamped until the 16th of September, at which date they proceeded to Culpepper, and remained there until October 11th.

They engaged the enemy on the 12th at Auburn mills, and encamped at Catlett's Station on the 22nd.

The regiment was engaged in the skirmishes at Kelly's Ford on the 7th of November, and took part in the engagements at Orange Grove on the 27th, and at Mine Run on the 30th, their loss in the several actions being 1 killed, 8 wounded, and 23 missing.

They afterwards recrossed the Rapidan and encamped near Brandy Station, where they remained until the 4th of May, 1864, when they moved across the Rapidan towards Richmond, participating the next day in the battle of the Wilderness, losing heavily.

They made a successful charge on the enemy’s lines at Spottsylvania on the 12th, and on the 23rd, participated in the assault on the enemy’s work covering the bridge at the crossing of the North Anna.

On the third of June the regiment supported General Barlowe's division in the engagement at Cold Harbor; and on the 4th, their term of three years’ service having expired, they left for Maine, arriving on the 11th at Augusta, where the regiment was mustered out and discharged the U. S. service, June 28th by Capt. Thomas C. J. Baily, 17th U. S. Infantry.

Sixty-four re-enlisted men and the recruits whose term of service had not expired, were transferred to the 17th Me. Vols. before the departure of the regiment from the field.