Search billions of records on

Fourth Maine Regiment Infantry

This regiment was organized at Rockland, Me., June 15th 1861, to serve three years, and on the 17th left for Washington, where they arrived on the 20th and encamped on Meridian Hill.

On the 16th of July they proceeded to Centerville, and on the 21st engaged in the battle of Bull Run, being among the last to leave the field, and retreating in good order under command of their officers. Their casualties in that engagement were as follows: officers wounded, 1; taken prisoners, 4; enlisted men killed, 17; wounded, 4; missing, 38, -- nearly all of whom were wounded.

The regiment, forming a portion of Sedgwick's Brigade of Heintzelman's Division, remained near Washington until the 17th of Mar., 1862, when they started with the army towards Yorktown, participating in the siege of that place.

On the evacuation of Yorktown by the rebels, the regiment marched towards Williamsburg, but did not arrived in time to take part in the engagement at that place.

From Williamsburg the regiment marched and camped within 12 miles of Richmond. They were present at the battle of Seven Pines on the 31st of May, but at no time directly engaged, though part of the time exposed to the fire of the enemy.

On the next day, however, the enemy having attacked the picket line, the regiment was engaged and retained the position they occupied the night before, their casualties being two killed, seven wounded and one missing.

On the 25th of June, the regiment was engaged with the enemy in front of Seven Pines, and held a most difficult position in face of the rebel force through the night.

On the first of July they were present at the battle of Malvern Hill, and the next day retreated to Harrison's Landing, remaining there until the 15th of August, when in conjunction with a Heintzelman's entire corps, went to the support of General Pope's army, and on the 29th of August took a prominent part in the battle of Bull Run, losing during the day seven killed, thirty-three wounded and seven missing.

The following day the regiment was kept in reserve while the battle when on, and retreated at night toward Centerville, thence towards Fairfax Court House, participating in the engagement at Chantilly on the 1st of September, in which their casualties were eight killed, fifty-four wounded and two missing, out of 240 men who were engaged.

The next day they continued their retreat and arrived near Washington on the 3d. There they remained until the 15th, when they crossed into Maryland and guarded the fords of the upper Potomac.

On the 12th of Oct., they assisted in the attempt to intercept Stuart's Cavalry at Conrad's Ferry.

They arrived at Falmouth on the 22nd of November, and participated in the battle of Fredericksburg on the 13th of December.

They re-crossed the river on the 15th, returned to their old camp near Falmouth, and there remained engaged in drill and ordinary camp and picket duty until the 28th of April, 1863, when they crossed the Rappahannock River at United States Ford, taking a prominent part in the battle of Chancellorsville on the 2d and 3d of May, their casualties on that engagement being as follows: Killed, one; wounded, twenty-one; missing, ten.

From this time the regiment remained encamped until the 11th of June, then the joined in the campaign resulting in the battle of Gettysburg, where on the 2d of July they participated in the engagement at that place, losing during the day 14 killed, 53 wounded and 72 missing.

They also engaged the enemy at a Wapping Heights and encamped at White Sulfur Springs on the first of August.

On the 7th of November, they assisted in the attack on the enemy at Kelly's Ford, and the next day charged upon and soon drove a large force of the enemy from a position near Brandy Station, where the regiment encamped on the 10th, remaining there until the 26th, when they marched to the Rapidan, engaged the enemy, losing six men wounded and five taken prisoners, and returned to Brandy Station, where they remained encamped until the 14th of March, 1864.

At that date, on account of the reorganization of the army under General Grant, the regiment was assigned to the 2d Army Corps.

On the 4th of May the regiment crossed the Rapidan at Elys' Ford, and on the next day were heavily engaged at Torbet's Tavern, where they supported a brigade of the 6th Corps.

That night they rejoined their division, and at daybreak on the 6th they advanced on the enemy’s position. They were engaged all that day and during the next. This was the battle of the Wilderness, during which their casualties were: Officers killed, 2; wounded, 11; enlisted men killed, 32; wounded, 136; and missing, 3.

On the 23rd the regiment, having been engaged in reconnoitring, building fortifications, &c., since the 8th, moved towards the North Anna River, where they took part in a charge upon the enemy, driving them across the bridge.

On the 14th of June, the regiment crossed the James River, moved two miles to the front and took position in line the battle.

The following day the regiment was relieved from duty in the Army and ordered to proceed to Rockland, Me, where they arrived on the morning of the 25th.

The men were furloughed until the 19th of July, on which day the 241 officers and enlisted men were mustered out and discharged the U. S. service by Capt. Thomas C. J. Baily, 17th U. S. infantry, the re-enlisted men and recruits whose term of service had not expired, having been transferred to the 19th Regiment Me. Vols., before the departure of the regiment from the field.

Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Maine

for the year ending December 31, 1866, pp. 31-33.