Search billions of records on

5th Battery Mounted Artillery

Was organized at Augusta, Me., Dec. 4th, 1861; left March 10th, 1862, for Portland, Me., and the latter place, April 1st for Washington, D. C., where they encamped on capital Hill.

On the 19th of May, they marched to Fredericksburg, thence on the 25th to Front Royal, Va., and on the 9th of August 2 Cedar Mountain, Va., taking position at night under a heavy artillery fire.

On the 20th of August, the Battery took position at the Rappahannock Station, covering the railroad crossing; and on the two following days was engaged with the the enemyís batteries, preventing them from getting into position on the bank of the River.

Retreating with the army on the 23rd, they took part in the engagement at Throughfare Gap on the 27th, and at Manassas on the 30th, where, on account of the infantry supports deserting them, four of their guns were captured by the enemy.

Having been refitted in Washington, the Battery rejoined its division on the 24th of October; and on the 13th of December, at the battle of Fredericksburg, was under the fiercest and heaviest cannonade of the day, after which they encamped near Fletcher's Chapel until the 28th of April, 1863, when they moved to the riverís bank, crossing, May 2d, at United States Ford, and the next morning took part in the battle of Chancellorsville. In that engagement the battery suffered severely, Capt. Leppien being mortally wounded, and six enlisted men killed, two officers and 22 enlisted men wounded, and 40 horses killed and disabled.

The Battery was refitted at White Oak Church, and early in June moved with the army towards Maryland.

On the 1st of July they engaged the enemy at Emmettsburg, and on the 2d and 3d, took a prominent part in the general engagement at Gettysburg, Pa.

On the 23rd of July the Battery recrossed the Potomac, and on the 24th of December went into winter quarters at Culpepper, Va.

On the 17th of May, 1864, the Battery was permanently assigned to the 6th Corps, and on the 21st was engaged with the enemy at Spottsylvania Court House, Va.

On the 2d of June it took a position near Cold Harbor, Va., and silenced the enemyís batteries in its front.

On the 18th of June it went into position before Petersburg and engaged the enemy on the 21st.

They proceeded to Washington on the 10th of July, arriving there on the 13th, and participated in the general operations of the 6th Corps, thus taking part in the defensive campaign for the protection of Baltimore and Washington.

The Battery was heavily engaged with the enemy at Opequan, Va., on the 19th of September, from 10 A. M. until late in the afternoon, losing six men wounded.

On the 30th of September, while at Harrisonburg, Va., Battery A, 1st Mass. Artillery, was divided, and one section, together with its men and horses, assigned to this Battery.

At the battle of Cedar Creek Va., Oct. 19th, the Battery took a prominent part, losing in killed and wounded, 29 men and 31 horses.

On the first of November, the Battery being stationed at Camp Russell, near Winchester, Va., was temporarily assigned to the 19th Corps; and on the 10th of January, 1865, it proceeded to Frederick, Md., where it remained until April 4th, when it returned to Winchester; and on the 6th, was assigned to the Artillery Brigade.

On the 21st of June, the reduction of the army having commenced, the Battery was ordered to Maine, arriving at Augusta on the 30th, and was mustered out and discharged the U. S. serviced July 6th by Capt. C. Macmichael, 9th U. S. Infantry.