Sixth Regiment Infantry

This regiment was organized at Portland, Me., July 15th, 1861, to serve three years, and reached Washington, D. C., on the 19th.

They were stationed at Chain Bridge on the Potomac until the 3d of Sept., when they crossed into Virginia and through the fall and winter occupied Fort Griffin.

On the 4th of April, 1862, the regiment joined in the movement against Yorktown, where on the 5th, 6th and 7th they were engaged in reconnoitring and had several skirmishes with the enemy.

At the battle of Lee’s Mills on the 16th, they supported the Artillery and were exposed to heavy fire from the enemy’s batteries.

On the 5th of May they took a prominent part in the battle of Williamsburg.

From the 9th of May to the 24th, the regiment was on the march up the Peninsula in the direction of Richmond, encamping on that day near the Chickahominy, which they crossed on the 5th of June, and participated on the 27th in the engagement at Garnet’s Farm, in which their casualties were one man killed and 23 wounded.

The next day they commenced the retrograde movement to the James River, taking a position on the heights beyond White Oak Bridge on the 30th, and engaged the enemy on the following day, losing two men wounded.

They arrived at Harrison’s Landing on the 2d of July, and there encamped until the 16th of Aug., when they were transported to Alexandria and arrived at Centreville just as the army had commenced falling back from the battle-field of Groveton or Second Bull Run, where General Pope’s forces had been defeated.

On the 1st of Sept., they commenced the retreat toward Washington, and on the 11th had a skirmish with the enemy at the foot of Sugar Loaf Mountain.

At the battle of Antietam on the 17th, the regiment took a prominent part, and also participated in the battle of Fredericksburg on the 12th of December.

Three days after they re-crossed the Rappahannock and encamped near Bell Plains, where they remained until Feb. 2d, 1863, when the regiment was assigned to the "Light Division" and moved to Potomac Creek, where it encamped and remained until April 28th.

On the 1st of May, they crossed the Rappahannock River and bore an honorable part in the battle of Chancellorsville on May 2d and 3d, their loss being 128 officers and men in killed and wounded.

On the 11th of May, the "Light Division" being broken up, the regiment was assigned to the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Corps.

On the 9th of June, they had a skirmish with the enemy at Kelly's Ford, after which they participated in the long and fatiguing marches of the Pennsylvania campaign, and were present at the battle of Gettysburg on July 2nd and 3rd, though not actively engaged with the enemy

On the 19th of Oct., they participated in the charge and capture of the enemy’s works at Rappahannock Station, losing in that engagement 16 officers and 123 enlisted men, killed and wounded.

On the 27th, the regiment went to the support of the 3rd Corps then engaged at Locust Grove, after which they returned to their former camp near Wilbur Ford, and there remained until May 4th, 1864.

Two days afterwards, they were engaged in the battle of the Wilderness, and on the 8th, in that of Spottsylvania, where they lost a few men.

They also participated in the attack on the enemy’s works on the right, losing 125 men in killed wounded and missing.

On the 12th, the regiment, numbering only 70 men, was under fire eight hours, supporting General Hancock's forces, and losing 16 officers and men killed and wounded.

On the 14th of June, the regiment started up the James River, arriving in front of Petersburg on the 20th. There they remained until the 10th of July, when, their term of service having expired, they were ordered to Maine for muster-out and discharge.

Arriving at Washington, D. C., on the 12th, they volunteered their services for thirty days in defense of the city, then threatened by the enemy, and marched to Fort Stevens. However, on the 13th they were relieved, and on the 17th left for Portland, where they arrived on the 22nd, and were mustered out and discharged the U. S. service on the 15th of Aug., by Lieut. I. H. Walker, 14th U. S. Infantry. Previous to the departure of the regiment from the field, about 238 re-enlisted men and recruits whose term of service had not expired, were temporarily organized into a Battalion, afterwards assigned to the 1st Regiment Infantry, Maine Veteran Volunteers.