Search billions of records on

Eighth Maine Regiment Infantry

This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., Sept. 7th, 1861, to serve three years, and left Sept. 10th for Hempstead, Long Island, N. Y., and subsequently for Fortress Monroe, Va., where they formed a part of Gen. Sherman's expedition to Port Royal, S. C., which sailed Oct. 29th.

On the eighth of November, they landed at Hilton head, where for several months they were engaged in throwing up breast works, building fortifications, etc..

On the 1st of May, 1862, they moved to Tybee Island and took a prominent part in the attack and capture of Fort Pulaski, large detachments of the regiment having been detailed to man several batteries engaged in the bombardment of the fort.

From Tybee Island, they returned to Hilton head, and from that time until the spring of 1863, were employed for the most part in doing guard duty at that place and at Beayfort Fort, S. C.

On the 19th of March, 1863, they were ordered to Jacksonville Fla., which they occupied after a spirited engagement with the enemy.

On the 25th, they made a reconnaissance on the line of the Railroad toward Baldwin, engaged the enemy, and lost two men killed and one severely wounded.

On the 29th, they were ordered back to Beaufort to make preparations to participate in the contemplated attack on Charleston, and embarked on the 3d of April for Stone River, where they lay on board transports during the bombardment of Fort Sumter on the 7th, after which they returned to Beaufort, arriving on the 12th. Subsequently they were again ordered to Charleston and embarked to proceeds thither, but went no farther than Hilton head, where they remained until the 14th of Nov., then returned to Beaufort and there remained until the 2d of March, 1864. On that day 16 officers and 330 enlisted men, who had reenlisted for an additional term of three years, were granted a furlough for 35 days, and proceeded to Maine. The remainder of the regiment continued at Beaufort until April 13th, when they were transferred to the department of Virginia, arriving at Gloucester Point on the 16th, and assigned to the 10th army corps.

On the 26th, the veterans rejoined the regiment, and on the 4th of May they moved to Bermuda Hundred, where they took part in all the active operations of the Army of the James.

On the 16th they participated in the engagement at Drury's Bluff, losing three men killed, 64 wounded and 29 taken prisoners.

On the 27th, they proceeded to White House Landing, thence on the 31st to Cold Harbor, in the meantime having been permanently assigned to the 2d Brigade, 2d Division, 18th Army Corps.

On the morning of June 3d, they participated in the assault on the enemy's lines at Cold Harbor, losing during the day, 10 men killed, 53 wounded, and 16 taken prisoners.

On the 12th they moved to White House Landing, and from thence to Petersburg, where on the 15th, 16th and 17th they were engaged with the enemy. On the 18th, they made a successful attack and carried a portion of the enemies lines, losing 11 men killed and 39 wounded.

From this time until the 25th of Aug., they remained in the trenches in front of Petersburg under continual fire and engaged in very exhausting duties. On that day they moved to the opposite side of the Appomattox, going into the works before Bermuda Hundred.

On the night of the 28th of Sept., they crossed to the north side of the James River with the 18th and 10th Corps, and were engaged in the assault successfully made the next morning on the enemy's works near Chapin's Farm.

On the 27th of Oct., they participated in the unsuccessful assault on the enemy's lines near the old battlefield of Fair Oaks, where they lost heavily.

On the next day they returned to the trenches near Chapin's Farm.

On the 5th of Dec., upon the re-organization of the 10th and 18th corps, they were assigned to the 4th Brigade, 1st Division, 24th Corps, and moved near Deep Bottom, taking position in the fort at Spring Hill.

On the 10th of Dec., they lost five men killed and six wounded, in the reconnoisance made by the enemy on the right of the Union lines in the vicinity of Spring Hill.

They remained near Spring Hill until the 27th of March, 1865. On that day the regiment proceeded towards Hatcher's Run, where they arrived on the next day and remained doing picket duty until the 2d of April, when they participated in the assault and capture of Forts Gregg and Baldwin, and on the 3d proceeded towards Brooksville, which place they reached on the 5th.

On the 6th they bore an honorable part in the engagement at Rice's Station, and on the 9th, in that at Appomattox Court House.

After the surrender of General Lee at Appomattox Court House, they, with the rest of the troops of the 24th Army Corps, proceeded to Richmond, Virginia, where they remained encamped until August. At that time they were ordered to Manchester, and there remained until November, when they were ordered to Fortress Monroe, Va, at which place they remained until the 18th of Jan., 1866, when the regiment was mustered out of the U. S. service by Lieut. M. Harper, Assistant, Commissary of Musters, and proceeded to Augusta, Me., where the men were paid and finally discharged.