Search billions of records on

Ninth Maine Regiment Infantry

This regiment was organized at Augusta, Me, Sept. 22d, 1861, to serve three years; left Sept. 24th, and subsequently arrived at Fortress Monroe, where they formed a portion of Gen. Sherman's expedition for the capture of Port Royal, S. C.

The expedition sailed from Fortress Monroe Oct. 29th, and on Nov. 8th the regiment landed at Hilton Head.

On Feb. 7th, 1862, they went to Warsaw Island, and on the 21st joined the expedition which captured Fernandina, Fla. They were the first to land from the transports on its occupation by the Union forces.

The regiment remained at Fernandina, Fla., until Jan. 17th, 1863, when they returned to Hilton Head, S. C., where they remained doing outpost duty until June 24th; then they moved to St. Helena Island, to form part of a column then organizing under General Strong to assault Morris Island, S. C.

On the 4th of July they went to Folly Island, and on the 10th landed on Morris Island, charged and carried the enemy's rifle pits in front of their works

On the 11th, they formed a part of the assaulting forces in the attack on Fort Wagner, and only fell back when left alone by the other regiments and ordered to retreat. They also formed a part of the assaulting column in the attacks of the 18th of July and on the 6th of Sept. Their casualties in the several assaults on Fork Wagner were over 300 men killed, wounded and missing.

On the 30th of Oct. they moved to Block Island, and remained there until Feb.10th, 1864: in the meanwhile 416 of the original members re-enlisted for an additional term of three years. On that day they returned to Morris Island, when the re-enlisted men were granted a furlough of thirty days, and proceeded to Maine; the remainder of the regiment continuing there until the 18th of April, when they proceeded to Gloucester Point, Va, arriving on the 22nd, and where the re-enlisted men rejoined the regiment on the 28th.

On the fourth of May they sailed up the James River, disembarking at Bermuda Landing on the 5th.

On the 7th they engaged the enemy at Walthall Junction.

On the 15th they marched to Drury's Bluff and engaged the enemy at that place on the 17th.

On the 20th they again engaged the enemy at Bermuda Hundred, losing 9 killed, 39 wounded and 4 missing.

On the 1st of June they participated in the assault on the enemy's works at Cold Harbor, losing in the engagement, 10 killed, 49 wounded and 12 missing.

On the 23rd of June they arrived in front of Petersburg, and on the 30th they engaged the enemy, losing 10 killed and 39 wounded; and again on July 30th, losing 7 killed, 34 wounded and 5 missing.

On the 16th and 18th of August, they engaged the enemy at Deep Bottom, losing in the engagement, 8 killed, 38 wounded and 10 missing.

They returned to Petersburg on the 20th, and there remained on duty in the trenches until Sept. 28th. In the meantime, on Sept. 21st, the original members, numbering 158 men, who did not re-enlist, left the regiment for Maine, where they were mustered out and discharged the U. S. service, their term having expired.

On the 28th of September, the regiment, numbering 195 enlisted men and 6 officers present, was ordered to Chapin's Farm, where, on the following day, they formed a part of the forces which made the assault on Fort Gilmore, and remained doing duty in the trenches at Chapin's Farm until the 26th of October. In the meantime, one Company of Infantry, (the 3d Unassigned,) joined the regiment, and was assigned as Company K.

On the 27th of Oct. they engaged the enemy at Derbytown Road; their casualties in the engagement were 7 killed, 38 wounded and 3 missing.

On the following day they returned to Chapin's farm.

After the capture of Fort Fisher N. C., in 1865, they were ordered to join the troops at that place, under command of Major Gen. Terry. They marched on Wilmington, N. C., which they entered and took possession of with but little resistance, and there remained encamped for three weeks.

They afterwards joined Gen. Sherman's forces at Cox Bridge, where they remained a few days; and then proceeded to Magnolia, from thence to Raleigh, N. C., which place they entered on the 11th April, and there encamped and remained until the 13th of July, 1865, when the regiment was mustard out of the U. S. service by Lieut. Benj. Seaward, Assistant Commissary of Musters, 2d Division, 10th Army Corps. After which they proceeded to Augusta Me, where the men were paid and finally discharged.