History of Cumberland County
With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of
Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
Philadelphia: Everts & Peck, 1880
First Settlers Schools
Places of Historic Interest Associations
Incorporation- Boundaries Lawyers
Officials Added 9 Jan 2004 Military -Added 9 Jan 2004
Churches Biographical Sketch of Jonathan Ingalls photo 9 Jan 04
OTISFIELD GRANT OF THE TOWN
The town of Otisfield originally extended to Harrison village and the outlet of Long Pond, and, including the greater part of Harrison and Naples, was originally granted to the officers and soldiers of Capt. John Gorhams Company, in 1771, for services in the Canada expedition of 1690. Thirty families were to be settled within six years, a meeting-house built, and four shares of one sixty-fourth each of the lands of the grant were to be set aside for the grammar school, Harvard College, for the first settled minister, and for a perpetual fund for the support of the ministry.
The unsettled state of public affairs delayed settlement until after the war, when returned soldiers, inured to hardship and privation, sought homes in the new country "to the eastward of Saco River."
In 1774, James Prescott and Stephen Gorham were sent from Boston to compel the town of Raymond to fix the boundary lines between the two towns; and George Peirce (sic) was induced to build a mill at Edes' Falls, then in the southern part of Otisfield, as an encouragement to settlers. "In the confusion of the times occasioned by the British invasion, in 1775, the proprietors' book was lost." So reads the first page of the subsequent record. In October, 1776, a meeting of the proprietors was held at " The Bunch' of Grapes," in Boston, and a second drawing for lots took place, in which lot 116 was drawn, for the college, 120 for the ministerial, and 71 for the school fund. It was then voted that the town previously called Parkerstown" be given the name of Otisfield, and George Peirce (sic) be appointed to survey and establish the lines of the lots.
Return to Top of Page
The land comprised a dense forest, approachable only on foot or by boats, rising in high broken ridges, between which were numerous ponds, confined above their natural level by the industrious beaver, whose dams still mark the old "meadows," or remain secreted in the timber at the outlet of the remaining ponds, which has grown since they were abandoned. Benjamin Patch arrived at Mr. Peirce's May 17, 1776, after a four days' journey from Groton, Mass., making that his home while hunting and trapping beaver in the ponds and meadows. In 1779 he selected lot 92, on the western slope of the high hill now known as Meeting-House Hill, as his future home, spent the fall in clearing land, piled his log heaps while boiling sugar the next spring, and in June of 1780 planted the first crop raised in the town. Daniel Cobb, who was driven from Naples through fear of Indians, moved in the same spring, and located on the top of the hill. His son, the late Rev. William G. Cobb born at Edes' Falls, Oct. 14,1779, and Levi, son of Benjamin Patch, born Nov.21, 1782, were competitors for the prize of 100 acres of land donated to the first male child born in the town. The land was awarded to Levi Patch, as an actual resident. He was afterwards the first postmaster of Otisfield.
In 1778, Joseph Spurr, with his sons, Enoch and Samuel, settled at Spurr's Corners. Zebulon Knight settled on the hill near Mr. Cobb, and was joined by Jonathan Moors, an old soldier. In 1779, Noah and Samuel Reed locating a mile to the northeast about the same time. Ebenezer Kemp and John Fife also came in 1779.
A committee was sent to Otisfield during this year, to see if the conditions of the grant were being complied with, and in 1780 Dr. Davis (sic) Ray was sent to erect a saw and gristmill. In the woods, a few rods below Mr. Holden's mills (where the outlet of Saturday Pond flows through a crevice in the rock, then takes a plunge of thirty feet), these mills, the first in the town, were erected. This became the central place for business, and at one time supported two stores, but the mill was suffered to decay, and, after 1845, the business was transferred to Bolster's Mills and Spurr's Corners.
Lieut. Joseph Hancock (a cousin of John Hancock, of the Continental Congress) settled, with his two sons, Joseph, Jr., and Thomas, at the head of Parker (now Pleasant) Pond, where his grandson, C. F. Hancocks store, now is. Thomas, David and Daniel Thurston located, in 1779, beside the beaver meadow, a mile south of the Spurrs; Mrs. Thurston attending at the birth of William G. Cobb in that year. Samuel Whiting located in the south part of the town, and in 1782 Mark Knight came. The proprietors were notified that their lands would be sold at auction for not being settled. More time was finally granted, and in 1784 Joseph Wight settled at the head of a beaver meadow, near the willow tree, with his sons, Joseph, Jr., Benjamin, Thomas, and Nathan. Samuel Scribner settled on Scribners Hill, in the south; Jonathan Britton and Benjamin (father of Joseph and Ireson) Green northwest of Saturday Pond; and in 1787 David Kneeland, Samuel Gammon, and Deacon Stephen Phinney had joined the settlement.
On petition of Dr. Davis(sic) Ray, Benjamin Patch, Joseph Hancock, Jonathan Moors, and Samuel Gammon, a meeting was held, May 15, 1787, at the house of Deacon Phinney, to organize a plantation government. The officers chosen were David Ray, moderator of the meeting; Joseph Wight, Jr., clerk; David Ray, Benjamin Patch, Noah Reed, assessors Jonathan Moors, collector.
In 1795 the following persons had also become residents of the plantation: Joseph Cotes, Nathaniel and William Edwards, William Gammon, Elias and Rowland Hancock (a second family of the name, who settled south of Bolster's Mills), Oliver Hapgood, Stephen Johnson, Robert and Henry Knight, Ebenezer Kollock, David Mayberry, Joseph Morse, Dan Morse (the first blacksmith in the town), Edward Scribner (who came in 1791) and his sons Joseph, John, Samuel, and Willoughby (settled on the highest land in the south of the town), Jonathan Smith, John Sawyer, Elisha, Thaddeus, and Simeon Turner, George Walker, Zachariah and Thomas Weston, Nathan Haskell; in 1796, Ichabod Whitham. Nathan Nutting, John Holden; and by 1803, Thomas Edes, Dennis Lovewell, William Anderson, John and Richard Lombard, Barney and Thomas Sawyer, Benjamin Stevens, Timothy Jordan, Peter and Samuel Wardwell, Zach Morton, Robert Anderson, Edwin, Joseph, and Daniel Scribner were annexed, with their lands joining Oxford County, formerly called Phillips Gore, in 1803.
In 1795 there were but 15 houses and 19 barns in the town; George Peirce owned 2 horses, and 19 others owned 1 each. Among the 66 voters there were but 226 acres of cleared land, exclusive of the beaver meadows which had been partially drained, and furnished excellent pasture or hay. A careful canvas made in the fall of that year, shows the entire potato crop to have been 86 bushels.
Many of the early settlers were soldiers of the Revolution, and the greater number from the vicinity of Groton, Mass. In 1812 their descendants readily anticipated the need of the government for troops. and chose Capt. Daniel Holden, Grenfill (sic) Blake. Oliver Pierce, Silas Blake, and Benjamin Wight a committee of safety. A patriotic pledge, breathing the spirit of the great declaration, was signed, and the citizens responded cheerfully to the first call for troops with men already organized as minute-men. The oldest settler is John Edwards, who came in 1816, camped three years, brought his family in 1819, and is still living in the north part of the town at the age of ninety one years.
Return to Top of Page
PLACES OF HISTORIC INTEREST
On the high hill where Daniel Cobb and Jonathan Moors settled, and the first two children were born, the first church, since replaced by a more modern one, was erected in 1797. Saturday, Pleasant and Thompson's Ponds, and the distant Sebago Lake, were the only openings then visible in the wide expanse of timbered valley now broken by farms and numerous villages, and the high range of hills circling the county to the north and west were barely visible through the tops of the surrounding trees. Across the road the well filled churchyard, selected by the proprietors as a burying ground in 1781, contains the remains of Major Moors, Joseph Wight, Benjamin Patch, and Levi Patch, the first child of Otisfield; Dr. David Ray, first physician of Otisfield ; Samuel Scribner, Joseph Weston, " a soldier of the Revolution," and many other early settlers. The first male child born in the town- Elder Wm. G. Cobb- rests in the little cemetery (Cobb Hill) south of East Otisfield, beside Pleasant (sic Thompson) Pond, with the early dead of his family. Half a mile or more to the south is the old first church, deeded to the town in 1845, and moved to its present position by Capt. Otis Fernald, Capt. Roland Holden, and Lyman Nutting, who removed the lower portion. but left the main features. Still farther to the south, but in sight of the town-house, a large willow tree spreads its branches over the road.
Rev. Thomas Roby, the first minister, brought from Massachusetts two willow sticks, when he first came to Otisfield in 1796. One he cut in pieces and planted on his own farm, the ministerial lot, between Johnson Knight's corner and Ray's Mill. The other he gave to Mrs. Abigail Wight, who cut it in three pieces, two of which she planted on her own place. The third she gave Dr. Joseph Wight, who planted it in front of his residence. The latter is the tree referred to at the close of the preceding paragraph.
The South Otisfield Cemetery is honored by the grave of William Edwards, one of the first settlers, who died in 1847, aged ninety four years, and others who shared with him the hardships of pioneer life.
At Spurr's Corners, Mark Knight and David Thurston each donated half an acre of land, previous to 1801, to form the ground where they are buried. A smaller yard, two miles to the west, was opened after.
Elmwood Cemetery, near the church at Ray's Mill, comprises three acres of land donated by Deacon Eliphilas Wight. It was incorporated in 1869, and is the most beautiful cemetery in the town. The other principal burying grounds are the Scribner ground, south of East Otisfield, containing many old granite stones with the simple initials and date, among which is "E-S" (Edwin Scribner) "A- G-101-". The East Otisfield cemetery of the Wight family, and the North Otisfield, where are buried John and Capt. Elisha Lombard, David Sawyer, Timothy Jordan, and other pioneers. There is also an old cemetery two miles north of East Otisfield, and a small family ground a few rods east, near the lake, containing the grave of Nathaniel Lamb, who died in 1850, aged seventy one.
Return to Top of Page
EAST OTISFIELD, on Thompson's Pond, contains the saw-, grist-, and shingle mill of Stephen D. Jilson (sic), established 1850, on the site of the old Scribner mill, J. D. Wight's blacksmith shop, store of Horace A. Hall, established 1828, a school-house, and six dwellings. Mails are received by stage tri-weekly, connecting with Oxford and Portland. Horace A. Hall, postmaster.
BOLSTERS MILLS, -in Otisfield, contains ten dwellings, I. H. Stuart's lumber- mill, the Hancock House, M. Hancock, established 1859, and F. Chute's blacksmith shop. It is a part of the main village in the adjoining town of Harrison.
SPURR'S CORNERS, -the Otisfield post office, contains a church, school, the store of R. G. Scribner, closed in 1878, 17 dwellings, Bangs & Co.'s clothing manufactory, established 1871, shoe shop of Benjamin Stone, Jr., established 1874, and half a mile east of the corner the store of C. F. Hancock, established 1849, and the carriage shop of E. A. Holbrook. Mails from Oxford Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and from Portland the alternate days. R. G. Scribner, postmaster.
Nearly three miles south, on the Mayberry place, is the Oriental Mineral Spring, a new and popular resort for invalids.
In pursuance of the act of incorporation of the town of Otisfield, passed by the Massachusetts legislature Feb.19, 1798, a warrant was issued to Benjamin Patch, yeoman, for a meeting to be held at the public meeting-house, May 28, 1798. At this meeting, David Ray was chosen Moderator; Enoch Spurr, Clerk; David Ray, Pelatiah March, Zebulon Knight, Selectmen and Assessors; Lieut. Mark Knight, Treasurer; George Peirce, Esq., Constable and Collector; Elijah Turner, David Mayberry, Tithing-Men; Capt. P. March, Jonathan Moors, Nathan Burnam, Fence- Viewers.
A strip, 410 rods wide, was annexed to the northeast side in 1803; that part of the original grant west of Crooked River was taken off in 1805; a part of Naples was taken off in 1834; and 47 acres were added to the east in 1858. The surface, which is low, broken, and well timbered, includes Little, Moose, Saturday, and the greater part of Pleasant Pond. Otisfield is the most northerly town in Cumberland County (Webmasters note until 1979). It is bounded on the north by Norway, in Oxford County, on the east by Oxford, Thompson's Pond, and between 350 and 400 acres of land not incorporated in, any town,* on the south by Casco and Naples, and on the west by Harrison, Crooked River forming the boundary line.
*The land " unassigned to any towns," is the property of Dominicus J. Edwards, and has had no resident owner for some years It comprises 347 acres on the west side of Thompson's Pond, which has never been taxed.
|1787||David Ray, Benjamin Hatch, Noah Reed|
|1788||David Ray, Benjamin Hatch, Zebulon Knight|
|1789||The same were said to have held over|
|1790||David Ray, Zebulon Knight, Jonathan Moors|
|1791||The same were said to have held over|
|1792-93||David Ray, Benjamin Hatch, Zebulon Knight|
|1794||Joseph Wight, Jr., Enoch Spurr, David Thurston|
|1795||Joseph Wight, Jr., David Thurston, Jonathan Britton|
|1796-97||David Ray, Samuel Gammon, Capt. Pelatiah March|
SELECTMEN OF THE TOWN OF OTISFIELD
**PelEtiah is spelled PelAtiah below; PIErce is spelled PEIrce, BArrows is spelled BUrrows below
|1798||David Ray, Pelatiah March, Zebulon Knight||1799||Capt. Pelatiah March, David Thurston, Jonathan Britton|
|1800||Pelatiah March, Enoch Spurr, Daniel Holden||1801-2||Enoch Spurr, Daniel Holden Nathanial Burnam|
|1803||Lieut.Daniel Holden, Dr. Sireno Burnell, Lieut. Robert Anderson, Samuel Scribner, David Thurston||1804||Benjamin Wight, David Ray, Pelatiah March|
|1805||Enoch Spurr, Zebulon Knight, Lieut. Robert Anderson||1806||Enoch Spurr, Benjamin Wight, Robert Anderson|
|1807||Enoch Spurr, Zebulon Knight, Benjamin Wight||1808||Enoch Spurr, Stephen Knight, Robert Anderson|
|1809-10||Daniel Holden, Stephen Knight, Robert Anderson||1811||Daniel Holden, Enoch Spurr, Grinfill Blake|
|1812-13||Daniel Holden, Enoch Spurr, Benjamin Wight||1814-17||Grinfill Blake, Daniel Holden, Thomas B. Chambers|
|1818||Grinfill Blake, Nathan Wight, Oliver Peirce, Esq.||1819||Nathan Wight, Francis Chute, Silas Blake|
|1820||Grinfill Blake, Oliver Peirce, Benjamin Wight||1821||Benjamin Wight, Oliver Peirce, Enoch Spurr|
|1822||Benjamin Wight, Thomas Shedd, Oliver Peirce||1823||Benjamin Wight, Thomas Shedd, Francis Chute|
|1824||Thomas Shedd, Roland Holden, Francis Chute||1825||Jonathan Britton, Roland Holden, Benjamin Holden|
|1826||Thomas Shedd, Benjamin Wight, Roland Holden||1827||Roland Holden, John Phipps, John Linnell|
|1828||Roland Holden, Thomas Shedd, John Phipps||1829||Roland Holden, Oliver Hancock, Jonathan Britton|
|1830||Roland Holden, Banjamin Wight, Wyatt Turner||1831-1832||Roland Holden, Wyatt Turner, Harvey Mayberry|
|1833||Henry Holden, Samuel R. Anderson, Jefferson Bray||1834||Roland Holden, Henry Holden, John Hancock|
|1835||Roland Holden, Harvey Mayberry, Francis Chute||1836||John Hancock, Jesse Holden, Oliver Spurr|
|1837||John Hancock, Joseph Hall, Daniel Weston||1838||John Hancock, Daniel Weston, Henry Holden|
|1839||John Hancock, Henry Holden, George W. Burrows||1840||John Hancock, Paul Stone, George W. Burrows|
|1841||John Hancock, Robinson Cook, David Andrews||1842||John Hancock, Robinson Cook, Henry Holden|
|1843||Robinson Cook, Paul Stone, Samuel P. Hancock||1844||John Hancock, Samuel P. Anderson, James Wight|
|1845||John Hancock, George P. H9olden, Daniel Weston, David Andrews, Stephen Rich **||1846||John Hancock, David Andrews, George P. Holden|
|1847||John Hancock, Dan Shedd, David Andrews||1848||John Hancock, David Andrews, William E.F. Linnell|
|1849||Daniel Weston, Samuel Chambers, Samuel Spurr||1850||William E.F. Linnell, Samuel Spurr, Daniel Holden|
|1851||Daniel Weston, Robinson Cook, Ebenezer C. Andrews||1852||Daniel Weston, E.C. Andrews, William Lamb|
|1853||Robinson Cook, William Lamb, Johnson K. Lovewell||1854||William Lamb, Johnson W. Knight, Joseph Green|
|1855||Daniel Weston, S.LO. Andrews, Alpheus B. Lovewell||1856||William Lamb, William Smith, Francis Holden|
|1857||William C. Smith, Asa Andrews, J.K. Lovewell||1858||Johnson K. Lovewell, Mark Knight (2d), William Haskell|
|1859||William Lamb, J.K. Lovewell, William H. Lord||1860||William Lamb, William H. Lord, Johnson W. Knight|
|1861||William H. Lord, Edward Scribner, Jesse F. Holden||1862||William H. Lord, Johnson W. Knight, Jonathan Wardwell|
|1863||William Lamb, Daniel Holden, Jonathan Wardwell||1864||Daniel Holden, Jonathan Wardwell Jr, Darius Jordan|
|1865||E.C.Andrews, A.B. Lovewell, Daniel Holden||1866||Robinson Cook, David D. Scribner, Joseph S. Mayberry|
|1867||David D. Scribner, Daniel Holden, E.J. Sylvester||1868||David D. Scribner, Albert F. Butting, Daniel L. Brett|
|1869||A.F.Nutting, D.D. Scribner, Joseph S. Mayberry||1870||Joseph S. Mayberry, David Andrews, Johnson Knight|
|1871-1872||Johnson K. Lovewell, Daniel Holden, James Maines||1873||Johnson K. Lovewell, James Maines, Moses Hancock|
|1874||Jonathan Wardwell, Daniel Holden, James W. Holden||1875||Jonathan Wardwell Jr., James Maines, H.H. Huntress|
|1876||Albert F. Nutting, H.H. Huntress, Fernald J. Sawyer||1877||Albert f. Butting, S.C. Barrows, Benjamin S. Skillings|
|1878||Jonathan Wardwell, Hosea H. Huntress, Benjamin S. Skillings||1879||Hosea H.Huntress, Daniel L. Brett, Fernald J. Sawyer|
** Through a misunderstanding on first ballot,David Andrews & Stephen Rich were sworn in, and the whole five candidates served through the year, though bitter political opponents.
|1787-1790||Joseph Wight Jr||1792-1793||Enoch Spurr||1794-1795||Benjamin Wight|
|1796||George Peirce||1797-1798||John Holden|
|1798-1802||Enoch Spurr||1803||Sireno Burnell||1804-1808||Enoch Spurr|
|1809-1817||Levi Patch||1818||Thomas B. Chambers||1819-1845||Levi Patch|
|1846-1848||Benjamin Patch||1849-1850||Johnson W. Knight||1851-1855||Lewis H. Sawyer|
|1856||Mark Knight||1857-1858||Mark Knight (2d)||1859-1863||Lewis H. Sawyer|
|1864-1867||Albert F. Nutting||1868||R.G. Scribner||1869-1872||Roscoe T. Green|
|1873||Russell G. Scribner||1874-1877||Silas Morton||1878-1879||Horace A. Hall|
|1794- Lieut. David Ray||1795 Elias Hancock||1796-Lieut. Mark Knight||1797- Benjamin Patch|
|1798- Lieut. Mark Knight||1799-1800- Benjamin Patch||1801-1806- David Thurston|
|1807-1808 Thomas B. Chambers||1809 Benjamin Wight||1810-1816 Daniel Holden|
|1817 Thomas B. Chambers||1818-1819 Silas Blake||1820-1821 Thomas B. Chambers|
|1822-1827 Silas Blake||1828 John Phipps||1829-1831 Samuel P. Anderson|
|1832 Silas Blake||1833-1837 Merrill Knight||1838 Thomas B. Chambers|
|1839-1840 John Phipps||1841 Dan Shedd||1842 Merrill Knight|
|1843 Samuel Chambers||1844-1846 Thomas Chute||1847-1850 Samuel Chambers|
|1851-1854 Samuel Chambers||1855 Lewis H. Sawyer||1856-1857 Johnson K. Lovewell|
|1858 Samuel Chambers||1859-1861 Lewis H. Sawyer||1862-1871 Silas D. Andrews|
|1872-1879 William Lamb|
|1787 Jonathan Moors||1788-1793 Stephen Knight||1794 Benjamin Patch & Stephen Knight|
|1795 Stephen Knight||1796-1797 Jonathan Moors||1798 Stephen Knight|
|1798-1800 George Peirce Esq||1801-1802 Stephen Knight||1803 Capt.Jonathan Moors|
|1804 Stephen Knight||1805 Jonathan Sawyer, Stephen Knight (vacancy)||1806 Nathan Wight|
|1807 Capt Daniel Holden, col., Stephen Knight, cons||1808 Benjamin Stevens||1809 Stephen Knight|
|1810 Dr. Silas Blake||1811-1813 Maj. Jonathan Moors||1814 Ephrain Kneeland|
|1815-1821 Col. Francis Chute||1822 Nathan Wight||1823 Capt. Joseph Haskell|
|1824 Horatio Wight||1825 Harvey Mayberry||1826 Horatio Wight|
|1827-1828 Harvey Maybery||1829-1830 Robert Edes||1831 Emery Edes|
|1832 Merrill Knight, Thomas J. Carter, cons||1833 Merrill Knight, Thomas J. Carter, cons||1834 Mark Knight|
|1835 Moors Hancock||1836 Moses Hancock, Reuben Sampson (vacancy)||1837 Reuben Sampson|
|1838 Mark Wight, Henry Holden (vacancy), cons||1839 James G. Warren||1840-1841 Dan Shedd|
|1842-1843 Moses Rogers||1844-1846 Dan Shedd||1847 Job Morton|
|1848 Dan Shedd, Job Morton (vacancy)||1849 Thomas Shedd||1850 William C. Smith|
|1851 Francis Holden||1852-1856 William C. Smith||1857-1858 Johnson W. Knight|
|1859 William C. Smith||1860-1861 Joseph W. Holden||1862 George F. Andrews|
|1863- 1864 David D. Scribner||1865 B.F. Skillings||1866-1867 Darius Jordan|
|1868-1870 Moses D. Andrews||1871-1873 Daniel L. Brett||1874-1875 Eastman Bean|
|1876-1877 Johnson Knight||1878-1879 Zebulon Knight|
In 1794 the inhabitants of Otisfield agreed to build a meeting-house, and join with the proprietors in hiring a preacher. Funds were collected, and the first church in the town was erected on the hill just to the east of the present one. In 1796, Rev. Thomas Roby came from Massachusetts and began preaching to the settlers. A council convened at the house of Dr. David Ray, Nov.23, 1797. Rev. Mr. Webster, of Bradford, was chosen chairman, and Rev. Mr. Merritt, of Standish, scribe. Rev. Mr. Jewell, of Gorham, was also present. Thomas Thurston, George Pierce, Elisha Turner, Joseph Hancock, Joseph Spurr, Elias Hancock, Merriam, William, and Enoch Spurr were the first members. Rev. Mr. Roby was installed pastor, and continued to fill that position until Sept. 4, 1810. Elias Hancock was made deacon in 1798. During this year the church attempted by a unanimous vote to dismiss Rev. Mr. Roby, for intemperance, but failed in their efforts, and a compromise was effected. George Pierce, Benjamin Patch, and David Thurston were appointed a committee to finish the church, which was done by June, 1800, at a total cost of £186 12s. In 1797 persons began to register their names with the clerk of the town to be released from this church, and new members were 348 joined to the society each year. A second meeting-house was built beside the first in 1839, by Silas Blake, Samuel P. Anderson, and Levi Patch, committee, and the old one given up for the use of the town officers, who had shared in its use since its erection. Perez Chaplain became church clerk in 1810. Rev. Josiah G. Merrill was pastor from November, 1814, to November, 1830; Rev. James P. Richardson, from October, 1833, to July, 1858, and was succeeded by Rev. Wm. Davenport, in 1862. Philip B. Wilcox was pastor from October, 1865, to 1870 ; Charles Morgridge, 1870 and 1871; Rev. H. A. Loring, June, 1873-74; Warren F. Bickford, 1875 ; Geo. H. Dunlap, 1876 ; Daniel Green, 1877. Present deacon and clerk, Silas Morton. This church joined with the Free-Will Baptists in the support of their pastor, Rev. J. M. Pease, in 1878.
FREE-WILL BAPTIST CHURCH
In 1799, Deacon Daniel Cobb, Chitman Cobb, Nephtali Cobb, and Jonathan Pepper were given certificates of exemption from the Congregational parish, and in 1802, James Gerrish, John Scribner, Eleazer Chadbourne, society clerk, and Rev. Zachariah Leach are mentioned in the town records, and in 1804, Joseph Cates and Daniel Scribner. Reverend James McOrson was pastor in 1804. TIle church failed for want of support, and was again organized Nov. 16, 1823, in a council which convened at the house of Rev. William G. Cobb. Andrew, Jonathan, and Hannah Cobb, Eunice Morse, Betsey and Nancy Winship, were organized into a church, and Andrew Cobb was made clerk. The next spring a reformation added many to the church. Rev. Mr. Cobb was succeeded in 1831 by Rev. James Libby, who was succeeded by Rev. Gideon Perkins, in 1833. Wm. G. Cobb remained with the church until his death in 1850, at the age of seventy years. He was converted at the age of twenty two, and baptized by Rev. Mr. Leach, in 1801. He preached his first sermon March 27, 1808. He was ordained in 1824, and continued to preach until his death. Rev. Solon Royal assumed the pastorate in 1857 ; John Pinkham, 1860 ; Hubbard Chandler, 1862 to 1865. The church was reorganized in 1869, under the pastorate of Rev. Joseph Hutchinson, who was succeeded in 1872 by the present pastor, Rev. J .M. Pease, who holds services in the Free-Will Baptist church at East Otisfield, the Congregationalist church and the Union churches at Spurr's Corners, and east of Pleasant Pond. Deacons Andrew Cobb, 1830 John Winship, Stephen Edwards, 1834; Albert Kemp, 1869; William Lamb, 1870. Darius Jordan has been church clerk from 1843 to 1879. The present membership is 71.
Officers.-John M. Pease, Pastor ; William Lamb, Albert Kemp, Deacons; Darius Jordan, Clerk, and ex-officio Trustee.
A free meeting-house was erected at East Otisfield by Thomas Jordan, John Knight, John Phipps, Methodist, and Henry Holden, Oliver Hancock, Baptist, trustees, at an expense of $1036, and dedicated by Revs. Clement Phinney, Z. Jordan, and Stephen Waterhouse, Jan. 9, 1829. This became the property of the Baptist Society in 1869, and was rededicated by Rev. B. F. Hayes, of Bates College.
The Union church at Spurr's Corners was dedicated Jan. 18, 1871, by Rev. Dr. Harris, of' the Auburn, Me., Congregationalist Church, and Rev. L. B. Green. Trustees in 1879, H. P. Spurr, E. J. Sylvester, Jonathan Ingalls.
THE SOUTH OTISFIELD GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH was organized in the South Otisfield school-house, June 16, 1857, by Rev. John A. Bridge and Rev. James S. Potter. Edward Scribner was made deacon, and John C. Smith clerk. Among the first members were Mrs. Scribner, A. J. Scribner, Lydia Lunt, Louis Smith, Sarah Burgess, Dorcas Edwards, Harriet Scribner, Deborah Smith. Preaching has been supplied by Revs. Walter Parker, Thomas Strout, 0.Gammon, N. L. Robinson. Nathan Maxfield was made trustee of' the association in January, 1878. Their church was erected in 1874, a short distance east of Pleasant Pond, near the Casco line. It is at present occupied by Rev. Mr. Pease, of the Free-Will Baptist Church.
In 1798, Jonathan Moors, David Thurston, and Benjamin Patch were appointed a committee to dispose of timber on the school lands. That on lot 15 was sold for $236 In 1800, $70 were voted for the support of schools. The next year a school-house was built on the hill, and Joel Simmons taught the school of 1802-3. William Swan taught school as early as 1794-95. By act of Legislature a committee was appointed to divide the ministerial and school lands in accordance with the division which made the town of Harrison. David Ray was made chairman of the board of five trustees for Otisfield, with power to elect their successors annually; Nepthali Harmon was chairman of the similar organization in Harrison. The school appropriations have gradually increased from $300 in 1813; $524 in 1842; $600 in 1854; $725 in 1860, to $1200 in 1868. In 1819 the school fund was $2361.50. In 1826 the town comprised 9 districts and 506 children. There were, in 1879, 13 districts, one of which is a joint district with Harrison, 9 wood and 3 brick school-houses, valued at $2300 ,and 308 school children, 251 of whom attended school ; $1503 have been expended for their support during the year, of which $880 was from tax, and $141 from interest on the school fund. The schools have been managed by a supervisor since 1876. Supervisor for 1879, Rev. John M. Pease.
Return to Top of Page
Crooked River Lodge No. 152, F. and A. M., organized April 15,1869. Officers, William Chute, W. M. Fernald J. Sawyer, S. W. ; William Twombly; J. W.; George B. Dorman, Treas. ; Alpheus B. Lovewell, Sec.; Gilman Nutting, S.S.; Leander Dorman, J.S.; Jonathan Ingalls, Chaplin. Officers 1879. Stephen C. Maxfield,W.M.; Leander Dorman, S.W.; Isaac Sands, J.W.; S.S.Skillings, S.S.; Cyrus W. Stone, J.S.; Benjamin Skillings, Tyler; Alpheus B. Lovewell, Chaplain. Membership 67. The lodge own a hall and grounds, costing $1000, in Bolsters Mills, Harrison, the lower room of which is leased for a store.
PATRONS OF HUSBANDRY
Otisfield Grange, No. 117, organized Feb. 27, 1875, with E.J. Sylvester, Master; Sumner Spurr, Sec; Samuel G. Spurr, Overseer; Otis F. Mitchell, Lecturer; James Maines, Lecturer; Henry P. Spurr, Treas; Elizabeth M. Cane, Ceres. Officers 1879, Ezekiel J. Sylvester, Master; Sumner Spurr, Sec, and Treas.; Marian T. Sylvester, Ceres.
The early merchants have been ______ Perkins, Jonathan Small at Rays Mill; William Swett on Meeting-House Hill; Consider Hill, Ivory Tripp, John Phipps 1820-29; Enos Woodward, Oliver and Daniel Dale, Oliver Cooley, and Dr. Horace Barrows, 1853. An early store was kept at the town-house by B.Shaw, Rufus Houston, and last by Benjamin F. Wight, T.B. Chambers, and Samuel G. Scribner in 1826. John Lombard, Jr., R.G. Scribner, and S.L. Gilson were late merchants at Spurrs Corners, and W.Turner at Bolsters Mills, 1828 to his death, 1878. Major Jonathan Moors kept an early tavern near the old church.
The physicians have been David Ray, 1780 to 1822 Joseph Wight, 1784; Sirenus Burnell, 1803-1804; Silas Blake, 1810 to his death in 1851, succeeded by his son,Josiah M. Blake ; Albion Cobb, 1851-57 ; Horace A. Barrows, for many years previous to his death, in 1852; Jonathan Small, 1854; Dr. Kimball, Dr. Carter.
Hon. Aaron B. Holden, now judge of probate, Portland, Me., Eastman Bean, Grinfell (sic) B. Holden, a native of Otisfield, admitted to practice in 1865, and since in the "employ of the general government, engaged in lumbering in Wisconsin since 1870.
SOLDIERS OF THlE REVOLUTION - Added 2 Feb 2004
Lieut. David Ray, born 1742; served until 1779; died at Otisfield, 1822; Lieut. Joseph Hancock; Thomas Hancock; John Holden, Jr. born 1762; served as a waiter boy from the first of the war; died 1828; John Holden, born 1739, died 1806; Robert Anderson, afterwards captain of militia, born 1762, died 1846; Jonathan Britton, Benjamin Green, Ebenezer Kemp. Mark Knight, born 1830, died 1813, buried at Spurr's Corners. Nathan Morse, Jr. Enoch Spurr, born 1762; died 1842, buried at Spurr's Corners. Jacob Thurston. Dr. Joseph Wight, a surgeon on board a privateer. John Winship, died 1848, aged eighty-five. Jonathan Piper. John Knight, universally known as "Snappy" Knight, from his peculiar quickness and sharp ssnapping eyes. Jonathan Moors, afterwards major of militia, born 1756, died 1829. James Sampson, born 1762, died 1851, buried at Elmwood Cemetery. Joseph Weston, born 1756, died 1840, aged eight-four. John Lombard, served on LakeChamplain and at Ticonderoga, died 1853, aged eight-nine.
SOLDIERS OF THE WAR OF 1812 Added 2 Feb 2004
Drafted from militia company commanded by Capt. Levi Patch, Lieut. Samuel Knight, in 2d Regt, 1st Brigade, 5th Division, of which Francis Chute was lieutenant-colonel.
Capt. John Kilborn's company, under Col. William Ryerson, drafted Sept 21, 1814; Lieut. John Smith, 1st Sergt. Stephen Edwards, Mark Jordan, David Thurston Jr., Daniel Chute, Enoch Brackett (substitute), Joseph Scribner (sub), Joseph Noble (sub), Calvin Morse, John Noble, Jonathan Kemp. July: Stephen Noble, Apolios Knight, Richard Edwards, Nathaniel Edwards, Jr.
Drafted into Capt. Bailey Bardwell's company, September 1814, for forty days: Thomas Jackson, Samuel Wardwell, Jr., Charles Turner, Shepherd Hawke, William Lamb, Solomon Lamb, Daniel Walker, James Scribner (sub), Thomas Wardwell (sub).
In Capt. Asa Ingalls' company, fourteen days from Sept 14, 1814: Samuel P. Anderson, Samuel Knight, Harvey Mayberry, Caleb Edwards, Oliver Spurr, Joseph Noble.
Drafted Sept 8, 1814: Samuel Knight Jr., fifer; Nathaniel Edwards, Caleb Edwards, John Morse.
Lieut. Samuel Knight, Jonathan Scribner, David Jordan, Nathan Knight, Joseph Haskell.
Drafted Sept 21, 1814: Andrew Cobb, Jonathan Cobb, Thomas Wight, David Thurston, Jr., Daniel Walker, David Lord, Richard Lombard, Thomas York, Jr., Abner Bean, John Lord, Solomon Lamb, John Weeks, ephraim Edwards, Andrew Cates, Sergt. Stephen Edwards, Joshua Goodridge, Joseph Wight; Simeon Libby, Willoughby Scribner, John Scribner, Richard Gardner, James Weston, David Jordan, Sergt. Oliver Spurr, Samuel P. Anderson.
Return to Top of Page
JONATHAN INGALLS, son of Cyrus Ingalls, was born in Denmark, Me., Feb. 9, 1814. At the age of fifteen he began learning the black-smith's trade, and at the age of twenty began business for himself in the village of Denmark, which he continued for twelve years. He spent several years as a stock-dealer, in which he was quite successful financially. In 1861 he settled in the town of Otisfield and purchased the farm now occupied by him, since which time he has given his attention to farming and blacksmithing. He first married Rebecca Swan; she died soon after the birth of her first child, which also died. In 1862 he married Caroline Barker, of New Hampshire. Mr. Ingalls served as deputy sheriff for four years in Oxford County, and has served for twelve years in Cumberland County. He is identified with the Republican party.
Photos added 9 Jan 2004
Scanned for the Internet 7/15/1999 - M.Strout
Return to Home Page