MAINE    EIGHTH INFANTRY     (Three Years)

Richard H Goodwin           Service Record:
            Enlisted in Company K, 8th Infantry Regiment
            as a Private on 03 October 1862, age 24
            Received a disability discharge on 28 January 1865

          Eighth Infantry  - Cols., Lee Strickland, John D. Rust, Henry Boynton, William
M. McArthur; Lieut. Cols. John D. Rust, Ephraim W. Woodman, Joseph F. Twitchell,
John Hemingway, Henry Boynton, William M. McArthur, Edward A. True; Majs.
Joseph S. Rice, Ephraim W. Woodman, Joseph F. Twitchell, John Hemingway, Henry
Boynton, William M. McArthur, Edward A. True.

        This regiment made up of companies from different parts of the state, and was
organized at Augusta, Sept. 7, 1861, to serve three years.  It entered the service with
770 enlisted men, and in bravery and efficiency was excelled by few, if any, regiments
in the service.  It left the state Sept. 10, for Hempstead, Long Island, N. Y., and
subsequently for Fortress Monroe, Va., where it formed a part of Gen. T. W.
Sherman's expedition to Port Royal, S. C., which sailed on Oct. 29, and landed at Hilton
Head Nov. 8, 1861.

        For several months the men were engaged in throwing up breastworks and building
fortifications.  On May 1, 1862, they moved to Tybee Island in the Savannah River, and
took a prominent part in the attack on and capture of Fort Pulaski, one of the defenses
of Savannah.  From this time until the spring of 1864, the regiment was employed for the
most part in doing guard duty at Hilton Head and Beaufort S. C., and at Jacksonville,
Fla.  It suffered much sickness as the result of the exposures of the spring campaign in
1862, and from diseases contracted in a southern climate.

        In Nov., 1862, about 300 well drilled and disciplined recruits were sent to the regi-
ment from Maine.  In Nov. 1863, while at Beaufort, S. C., its ranks were again replen-
ished by the addition of nearly 200 drafted men, who proved excellent soldiers.  In
March, 1864, 16 officers and 330 enlisted men, who had re-enlisted for a term of three
years, received a furlough of 35 days and returned to their homes.  In April, 1864, the
8th was transferred to the Department of Virginia, and on May 4, moved to Bermuda
Hundred, where it took part in all the active operations of the Army of the James.
Sixty veterans, whose term of service had expired, returned to the state, and were
mustered out of service on Sept. 15, 1864. The regiment was still large enough,
however, to retain its organization as many men had re-enlisted and it had received
570 recruits.

        Until the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, it was engaged in numerous skirmishes
and arduous picket and guard duties, and took part in the following important engage-
ments: Drewry's Bluff, losing 96 men, killed, wounded and prisoners; Cold Harbor,
where it lost 79 men; the operations before Petersburg, losing 50 men; Chaffin's Farm;
Fair Oaks, where it again lost heavily, Spring Hill; capture of Forts Gregg and Baldwin,
Rice's Station and Appomattox Court House. After Lee's surrender, it was at
Richmond until Aug., 1865, at Manchester until the following November, and at
Fortress Monroe until Jan. 18, 1866, when the  men were mustered out and proceeded
to Augusta, Me., where they were paid and finally discharged.

Source:  The Union Army, vol. 1

BACK To Civil War Veteran's page........BACK To Cemetery Page