Honoring The Men And Women Who Built the "Liberty" Ships

 











History of the Shipyards


Click on the image to view scanned text of Portland Ships Are Good Ships, by Herbert Jones (1945).


There were three different corporations building ships during World War II:


  • The Todd-Bath Iron Shipbuilding Corp: This yard, later known as the "East Yard," was in operation from December 1940 to 1 April 1943.

  • The South Portland Shipbuilding Corp: This yard, later known as the "West Yard," was in operation from Spring 1941 to 1 April 1943.

  • The New England Shipbuilding Corp: This corporation combined the Todd-Bath and SPSC yards and was in operation from  1 April 1943 until the end of the war.

  • For a complete list of ships built in 
    South Portland, click HERE