Blacksmith Shop Museum
The Blacksmith Shop Museum was originally built in 1863 by Nicholas A. Chandler who bred and trained horses. The little shop proved popular with local farmers and was kept busy during the Civil War. Eventually, Chandler's sister inherited the shop which was then operated by her husband, Henry Parsons, until 1905. Over the years the building was enlarged slightly and on the chimney of the forge there is a visible line testifying to the expansion.
The museum retains much of its original equipment including forge, ox-lifter, anvil and other tools. In addition, the museum has a collection of agricultural and rural tools and material.
The Blacksmith Shop Museum is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Blacksmith Shop Museum is located at 100 Dawes Road, Dover-Foxcroft, Maine.
Summer Hours for 2009
We are usually open every day from May through October.
For More Information, contact
David Lockwood, Curator
Phone: (207) 564-8618
We are proud of our museum and our collection of historical artifacts, but our museum is best seen in person, so stop on by!