Search billions of records on

| NSDAR | MSODAR | Revolutionary Ancestors | Our History |Chapter Activities| Membership | Historical Markers | Honoring Past Chapter Regents | Home |

Eunice Farnsworth - Ruth Heald Cragin Chapter
Historical Markers

Eunice Farnsworth Chapter, Skowhegan, Maine
has placed, two and one half miles below Skowhegan village,
two markers by the roadside, to commemorate the spot where the first settlers of the town
moored their boat on the shores of the Kennebec River, calling their new home East Canaan.

The first is located near the old cemetery on the west side of the Kennebec River and gives the following information:

In this graveyard lie the early settlers of Old Canaan.
The North West part of it was the site of the first Meeting House of the town built in 1788.
South of the Church lot was the Common and Training Field.

Placed by the Eunice Farnsworth Chapter DAR

The second marker is placed on the same road about one fourth mile below the cemetery and reads:

Near the river opposite this spot, the first house in Somerset County,
a log cabin 20 feet square was built in 1771
by Peter Heywood and Joseph Weston.
In this cabin, Isaac Smith and Eli Weston, 16 and 11 years old,
passed the winter, and to it the following April,
Joseph Weston brought his family.

Heywood Weston cabin location 1771

  Placed by the Eunice Farnsworth Chapter DAR

Marking Arnold's Trail

At the meeting of the Maine State Council, DAR, held in Skowhegan, March 1909,
the chairman of the Historic Marking committee
brought to the members of the Council, a request
that they mark Benedict Arnold's Trail through the State.

Landing of Arnold's Men in Skowhegan, 1775

[A] marker along this trail was placed by the Eunice Farnsworth Chapter of Skowhegan.
This monument marks the notable spot where it is supposed that Arnold camped.
It is a large mixed granite boulder that was taken from the farm of Levi Weston,
a descendant of Joseph Weston who volunteered to aid Arnold's forces of about 1100 men
up the river in batteaux on the expedition against Quebec.
He aided in poling their boats from this place, 
which is about two miles below Skowhegan, to Skowhegan Island. 
The marker has been placed on the spot where Arnold encamped 
and is located on the southeast corner of the [former] Skowhegan High School Campus.

Note: This marker now resides in the Arnold Trail Park on the Island.

The inscription:

September 29 - October 4, 1775

Eleven hundred Revolutionary Soldiers

Commanded by Colonel Benedict Arnold

Passed across this Island, Carrying Bateaux and Supplies

On their way to Quebec.

To commemorate their daring and ill-fated Expedition

This tablet is placed by

Eunice Farnsworth Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution 1912

Dudley's Corner School House

"Municipal Center for Many Years of
Milburn - Skowhegan
All annual town meetings but two, 1829 - 1849
All state elections but three, 1823 - 1848
And all Presidential Elections 1824 - 1846
Were held here."

Marker at Dudley's Corner School House

Dudley's Corner School House was an important spot
during a considerable part of the history of the town;
it was a church center of the region, holding for years the First Christian Church,
and was also the place of many town-meetings.

In honor of its service to the town,
it was in town-meeting of 1932 designated for preservation as an historic spot,
and a bronze tablet, placed upon it by Eunice Farnsworth Chapter DAR
in commemoration of its historical interest, was dedicated May 11, 1932.

Dudley's Corner School House

from Skowhegan on the Kennebec by Louise Helen Coburn, 1941

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR,

the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

This site created and maintained by

Eunice Farnsworth - Ruth Heald Cragin Chapter member, Kathy M. Palmer

Email to:

Last Update : January 14, 2013

| NSDAR | MSODAR | Revolutionary Ancestors | Our History |Chapter Activities| Membership | Historical Markers | Honoring Past Chapter Regents | Home |

This page generously hosted by