Embden Historical Society
| NEW! "South
of Lost Nation" by Ernest G. Walker has been reprinted
and spiral bound. For the first time, this rich resource also includes a
46-page name-only index. The town of Concord was evidently called "Lost
Nation," making the town of Embden "south of lost nation."
This book contains genealogical information about local families - births,
deaths, marriages - and tales of the area. Some of the most prominent surnames
are Berry, Burns, Foss, Moulton, Mullen, Strickland, and Tripp. To order
a copy, contact Emily Quint or Carol
Dolan. Price: $18 plus $3 shipping. The index is also available separately
for $3 plus $2 shipping.
Embden History Resource Reprinted
Bathers and Cottages at Embden Lake
Embden Afghan Available for Purchase
Interesting programs are presented at each meeting, and there are approximately 70 members. Dues are $3.00 per person and may be mailed to the attention of the Treasurer, Mitchell Quint, P.O. Box 278, North Anson, ME 04958.
|The Society gives an annual scholarship of $150.00. The Society also rakes and mows the 19 cemeteries in town, along with placing veterans flags on the plots in the spring. Fences are erected around various cemeteries as needed.|
|View maps of Embden, circa 1880, EAST and WEST|
Embden Town House
The first map of Embden, locating the first settlers, was drawn by Samuel Titcomb in 1790. Embden was incorporated June 22, 1804. Homes and schools were used for temporary town meeting places for many years, but on March 2, 1846, townsmen voted to build the Town House on the Ford Hill property of Daniel Goodwin. Elisha Walker was hired to build a 30' x 36' building.
Embden Town House, located atop Ford Hill on Cross Town Road, is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Completed in 1849 for $254.42, it has been in continuous use to the present. During the summer of 1991, the building was moved back from the road right-of-way and placed on a foundation on high and dry ground.
Photo taken June 1987 at the first Open House of the Embden Historical Society.
Copyright © Embden Historical Society