.
 PRESERVING THE HERITAGE OF ARENAC COUNTY, MICHIGAN
home
leadership
museum
events calendar
news
major projects
bookstore
library
join or give
contact us
links
Arenac County Historical Album - Page 4

Click on the photo to view a larger version.

Return to Page 3 or to the Index


orig_m70_3.jpg
Old M-70 north of Sterling open for use. A Model T takes advantage of the newly constructed road.
singing_bridge.jpg The Singing Bridge on US-23 over Whitney Drain in 1932 just after it was completed. The bridge had battle deck plates for its road surface and it got its unique name because the deck plates emitted a high-pitched hum or "sang" as vehicles passed over.
rr_unknown.jpg Picture in the front of our train scrapbook with following note: A big day! Believed to be in the Standish area. But what is going on? A Sunday afternoon outing? Waiting for the train… To pick up the bags?? Or…??
rr_trest_brdge.jpg A locomotive train of coaches of the Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad Company, forerunner of the Detroit and Mackinac, riding the High Iron over the wooden bridge which spanned the Rifle River in Moffatt Township. The bridge was completed in 1883 using a design patterned from bridge engineering developed in the Civil War. It was considered to be the highest railroad bridge in Michigan.
stand_depot_oct05.jpg This is a history & nostalgia picture. This is the first steam passenger train in 50 years to pull into the Standish Depot. The event occurred during the October 15 & 16, 2005 Standish Depot Days. You can compare this to the similar 1908 picture in our website’s Central Michigan Depot major projects section. Many thanks to Tracy Roehm for the picture.
omer_depot_bld_1.jpg Getting ready to build the original Omer train depot.
omer_depot_bld_2.jpg The finished Omer depot waiting for timber pickup.
rr_agent_list.jpg 1921 List of Detroit and Mackinaw Railway Company Agents

Proceed to Page 5

Up to Top

Arenac County Historical Society; 304 East Michigan Avenue; P. O. Box 272; Au Gres, Michigan  48703-0272;  989-876-6399

Last updated:  01/18/2010.   Content 2005-2010 by the Arenac County Historical Society